Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Purchase Travel Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Do You Purchase Travel Insurance?

There's been lots of talk on one of the Facebook travel pages about the pros and cons of buying or not buying insurance for your trip.

Please tell me if you buy insurance, or if you don't buy insurance. I'd like to take an informal poll of Flyertalkers.

I'll respond first with a NO.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I do for international trips.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
There's been lots of talk on one of the Facebook travel pages about the pros and cons of buying or not buying insurance for your trip.

Please tell me if you buy insurance, or if you don't buy insurance. I'd like to take an informal poll of Flyertalkers.

I'll respond first with a NO.
How about "It depends" as an answer?
For a high value trip, i.e. international airfare, pre-paid lodging, etc. I do, and it has twice paid off.

For a domestic trip where I'm not locked into lodging, no, not usually.
Flyingmama, KRSW and FlyingCow like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, almost all of the time.

First it was elderly parents and work commitments that could cause cancellations or changes. Those are less of an issue now.
Refund/credit policies play into too.

Now, unless most costs are small or refundable, we insure at least the non-refundable parts of the trip.

Have had to use the insurance a couple times so it has been worth it.
gretchendz and boss315 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:29 am

Always.

For me, it covers medical costs abroad as well as travel related issues and I would hate to get a hospital bill in many countries, especially the USA. I was lucky enough that it also covered Covid disruption at the start of the pandemic.
gretchendz, Scots_Al, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Every international trip I sure do. No way in the world I want to be having to pay American medical fees from my own pocket!
Scots_Al and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:43 am

Depends on the overall price of a trip and cancellation policies. If it's COVID you're worried about, I'd prefer something like COVAC Global, which can get me home from a trip over insurance.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have bought a yearly travel health policy for my family. Never bought individual flight or hotel policies. I tend to book using miles or points, or ones where you can cancel a day before your hotel stay.

I currently have a cruise booked at the end of the month, that I think will be canceled. I’ll wait for the cruise line to cancel. My flights and one hotel night are all cancelable the same day, or a day in advance.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Yes but I insure mainly for medical care and evacuation costs not for trip costs. Travel policies insuring $500 worth of travel / accommodations but offering adequate medical and a million in medical evacuation are inexpensive. Nowadays covid contingencies / quarantine are also a factor.

As a doc I occasionally see patients get sick or injured away from home who face enormous bills for medical transport. The highest one: $250,000 - cash.

Jim
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:52 am

For many years I did not buy travel insurance and never had a problem where it would have been of benefit. Now I buy cheap medical and evacuation insurance. Those policies tend to have some other benefits included in the package, like trip delay or lost baggage. I use my Chase Sapphire preferred card for most travel purchases, it has very good insurance coverage.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Now with covid I do, every international trip (via Allianz). They cover covid related issues if they happen (hotels, etc).
FLYMSY and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Not even once. Never ever.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I never did until certain countries started requiring medical insurance for entry. For years, I've held a med evac policy. If I end up in the hospital, the insurance flies me home to my US hospital in appropriate medical transport.

Given how relatively cheap the travel insurance policies are (for award travel, hotels that can be canceled day prior, etc., so I don't need to insure for a high trip value), I may be buying it more frequently.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:31 pm

Since I make several international and domestic trips each year I buy an annual policy.
Costs about what two individual trip policies cost and works for every trip 100 miles or more from home.
In this age of flight delays, cancellations, lost baggage, medical complicatons, etc. it's been worth multiple
times what it costs.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Never. My employer gives me worldwide medical coverage and medical evacuation. I pick refundable hotel rates and never do tour groups or other packages, so I don't prepay anything other than business conference registration fees, which my employer covers. If I were to take an expensive (Antartica?) cruise, I'd want travel insurance, as well as insurance when a country requires some specific policy. I'd possibly consider a COVID-19 policy, although the rates I've seen make me want to self insure instead unless I would need the evacuation back to the USA when not medically necessary--i.e., to avoid a quarantine abroad after a positive test when asymptomatic or experiencing only mild symptoms (fully vaccinated).
FlyingCow and Repooc17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.