Do You Purchase Travel Insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I book fully refundable airfare and hotels, so I don't buy anything pre-departure, but do buy a good amount for medical, evacuation, quarantine etc. coverage after the trip commences.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
We take pricey/exotic cruises - for those absolutely yes.
For air/land, even intl, we never have, but might do so in the future given today’s new world.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K
No but I never travel international - when I'm working less and able to get out of the USA I could see some benefit and will look into it.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Always…has saved me tens of thousands over the years!!
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Just got my first Annual policy though Squaremouth that also covers COVID stuff and 1 million in evac. That was Early November. Did Mexico with the family over thanksgiving, a Christmas market river cruise in Europe (fantastic). Next week, St. Thomas, and Antarctica in early Feb. A land tour in Switzerland in April, a Med cruise in May, and Galapagos in September. So yes. For the first time. Also now on Medicare, so need medical coverage outside the US. Geotrekker choice.

When we do our Africa thing in 2023 will go Global Rescue.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dhammer53
If I have to.

David
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
No. Insurance is a net loss for more than 99% of society. If you ask about any type of insurance, a bunch of people will agree it is a good idea. People love to feel protected. It's like life insurance that many will swear by because of the emotional family ploy. Yet less than 1% get to use it. 99% of people are better off investing that money themselves. To me, that is much better odds at providing for my family.

Many people think travel insurance is a 100% refund at your slightest inconvenience and it suddenly has new payments and benefits due to COVID. It can be beneficial in some circumstances. Including high risk trips and people. Know what you are buying. Know your risk. Know what is not covered. I'm not a huge fan of AMEX Platinum. However, it's medical evac benefit is an actual option I'd recommend looking into.

I'm younger, healthy, and haven't been doing any crazy, exotic, international travel lately. My premium CC's travel coverage is plenty sufficient for me.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I buy medical insurance with evacuation and repatriation cover.

I also buy airfares and car hire on Amex charge card which provides some cover.

My bank account and Amex cards also cover some travel disruption.
My Amex also provides health insurance but only for trips of upto 90 days and I travel much longer than that so it is pretty useless for that. My current trip is now over two years thanks to Covid.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My credit card (Citi AA exec) used to have extensive travel insurance coverages so it wasn't needed. That's all been removed now though.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Super Mario
No. Insurance is a net loss for more than 99% of society. If you ask about any type of insurance, a bunch of people will agree it is a good idea. People love to feel protected. It's like life insurance that many will swear by because of the emotional family ploy. Yet less than 1% get to use it. 99% of people are better off investing that money themselves. To me, that is much better odds at providing for my family.
This is the reason I don't insure my fancy new iPhone or buy flexible airfares - I've touchwood never lost a phone or had to stump up for a walk-up fare. If I ever did it would sting, but over the long-term I know I'm better off.

Travel insurance is a whole other ball game, however, especially for those of us from countries where medical insurance is simply unnecessary. If you were to take ill while travelling to the USA without insurance, you could easily lose everything. So, I'll pay up, hope to be in the 99% who don't need to claim, but be reassured that if I'm in the 1% it won't be a financial disaster.
BamaVol and farci like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
My premium CC's travel coverage is plenty sufficient for me.
So it appear you're paying for insurance (amongst other perks) through your credit card fees?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I buy medical insurance for international trips. I’ve never needed it and hope I never will. But the cost of falling ill or being seriously injured is too big and I’ve never had coverage that extends beyond the US border.
The_Diamond_Z likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I buy medical insurance for international trips. I’ve never needed it and hope I never will. But the cost of falling ill or being seriously injured is too big and I’ve never had coverage that extends beyond the US border.
this

it's about the risks you're willing to take during any particular trip ... and these can vary significantly with age, destination/s, mobility, credit card coverage, and of course your overall financial picture
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Depends on the trip and or if I buy an airfare with miles. My CSR has coverage but I am not sure that it covers covid related matters.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:37 am
blh

Originally Posted by cargueiro
I buy medical insurance with evacuation and repatriation cover.

I also buy airfares and car hire on Amex charge card which provides some cover.

My bank account and Amex cards also cover some travel disruption.
My Amex also provides health insurance but only for trips of upto 90 days and I travel much longer than that so it is pretty useless for that. My current trip is now over two years thanks to Covid.

The same for me - medical insurance with evacuation and repatriation. Use Amex for car rental and Chase cards for anything else - other prepaid costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.