Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Living In A Hotel As Your Main/Prime Residence

Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson

On my repeated travels to certain cities and hotels around the world, I have come to know about some people (never met them, just found out about them over time) who actually reside in some hotels I frequent.
I know that we see it in the movies where the mega rich owner of the property would also live there... but do any of you know of anyone who actually lives (or lived) in a hotel as their main/prime residence?
Have any of you done this?
They need not be the owner of the property... they can just be someone like your or I... it can even be a digital nomad who prefers living in hotels.

The only distinct requirement is that they get all their mail delivered to the property, addressed in their name and with the hotel's actual address, just like they would get their mail if they lived in a house or condo/apartment, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've met an owner of the Broadmoor Hotel (Colorado Springs) who lived on the premises and raised a family there. The kids would order pizza from room service.

I know an upper tier chain hotel in the midwest where the last several GMs (all without kids) have lived in a suite in the hotel which was modified and expanded for this purpose, by adding a large bedroom to a large one bedroom senior suite and IIRC also adding a washer and dryer. I think it started when a new GM was hired from out of state and didn't want to buy a house there (small city), thinking that the assignment might not last longer than a couple years. AFAIK the arrangement has worked well.

I also know of an extended stay hotel where an assistant manager moved in for the period when it was so empty due to the pandemic. It was a way for the hotel to have a responsible person available, who also had a good watchdog.

For resorts in isolated locations where the hotel provides housing for at least some staff, I suspect that it's very common for at least one manager to live on the property.
DenverBrian and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've met an owner of the Broadmoor Hotel (Colorado Springs) who lived on the premises and raised a family there. The kids would order pizza from room service.

I know an upper tier chain hotel in the midwest where the last several GMs (all without kids) have lived in a suite in the hotel which was modified and expanded for this purpose, by adding a large bedroom to a large one bedroom senior suite and IIRC also adding a washer and dryer. I think it started when a new GM was hired from out of state and didn't want to buy a house there (small city), thinking that the assignment might not last longer than a couple years. AFAIK the arrangement has worked well.

I also know of an extended stay hotel where an assistant manager moved in for the period when it was so empty due to the pandemic. It was a way for the hotel to have a responsible person available, who also had a good watchdog.

For resorts in isolated locations where the hotel provides housing for at least some staff, I suspect that it's very common for at least one manager to live on the property.
Interesting accounts of owners/employees living at their respective properties!
Does the IRS (or really, other tax authorities around the world) treat living in a hotel differently than a typical residential structure?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Many managers in foreign countries live in the property with their families. Every big hotel in Indonesia does this. My kid played with the head chefs kid at the HR Bali, who lived on property.

I have lived up to a month at a property, but usually get bored with the same menu after awhile.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right. I guess, even knowing that owners and management do live in their properties, I was thinking more of people outside their cohort type.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I live in a hotel. My work sends me overseas for 8 months a year and I stay in a hotel when at work. I rent my house out and stay in hotels for the other four months a year which are leave.​​​​​
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargueiro
I live in a hotel. My work sends me overseas for 8 months a year and I stay in a hotel when at work. I rent my house out and stay in hotels for the other four months a year which are leave.​​​​​
Cool! Right, I did something similar for awhile like many road warriors, but it wasn't a residence... do you list the hotel as a primary residence and get mail sent there as well?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Some hotels such as The Pierre in NYC has long term residents who actually own their apartments in the building.

Aside from that, some of their suites are available to rent on a monthly basis. However, instead of booking via their reservations department, you would contact their sales department. They also use a third party real estate broker to facilitate the rental process. If it is a monthly rental, you will need to sign a rental contract with them. If I recall, their monthly rate is approximately 10x the daily rack rate.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Some hotels such as The Pierre in NYC has long term residents who actually own their apartments in the building.

Aside from that, some of their suites are available to rent on a monthly basis. However, instead of booking via their reservations department, you would contact their sales department. They also use a third party real estate broker to facilitate the rental process. If it is a monthly rental, you will need to sign a rental contract with them. If I recall, their monthly rate is approximately 10x the daily rack rate.
Do they still get any program benefits (if the property is affiliated with a program)?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I think if I were to go completely hotel living I would use a mail scanning service and not worry about having my mail physically delivered somewhere. Especially since, if I were living in hotels, it wouldn’t always be the same place. I’ve been thinking of trying it, just not sure how I can make it affordable to my budget.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I think if I were to go completely hotel living I would use a mail scanning service and not worry about having my mail physically delivered somewhere. Especially since, if I were living in hotels, it wouldnt always be the same place. Ive been thinking of trying it, just not sure how I can make it affordable to my budget.
I'm also somewhat interested... also wondering how this might affect taxes in any way?
There is some mail I would need physically and not scanned... so they would need to be delivered to the property.
My initial post was also focused on a primary residence (i.e. more long-term and not hotel hopping)... I wasn't thinking of hotel hopping.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I’ve this constant dream of selling everything and just wandering the world for about 5 years. Hotels and short term rentals, etc. 3 months in each place. I am planning on retiring in the summer of 2023, so I’ve got time to plan.

I’m working through logistics like mail scanning, health insurance coverage, taxes, banking, etc. it’s all doable, but everything is a process, and I’m not prone to impulsive behavior. Lots of great advice on FT on how to do it. So, not sure if I’ll do it, but I’d sure like to.
renila, yyznomad, lamphs and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by daniellam

Thanks for the reminder. In early-mid 70's I became very friendly with a woman who lived on the 29th floor of the Hotel Pierre. Her ex-husband occupied the 27th or 28th floor, We became friends due to the mutual interest we had in saving war-injured Vietnamese children. My husband and I were quite dazzled by the beautiful apartment which occupied a single floor.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Do they still get any program benefits (if the property is affiliated with a program)?
It really depends on the contract.

I would say that if it is a monthly rental contract, you're not likely going to get program benefits (if the property is affiliated with one).

Would you rather pay the equivalent of 10x rack rate (with hotel occupancy tax waived for long stays of 30+ days in most jurisdictions) on a monthly rental contract (usually works out to be better in terms of $$$)?

or 30x daily rate+hotel occupany tax on a night by night basis just to get some points and night credit?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
My husband and I had to decamp to a hotel temporarily to a hotel in 2012. We were having work done to our condo. It was supposed to be done while we were on our trip to Europe in October. Then, of course, Sandy hit, bringing all sorts of delays to the contractors our interior designer hired. We were delayed in returning to NYC, because JFK was closed, so our airline (SQ) put us up in the Sheraton in FRA for several days while everyone waited to see what happened. They were extremely generous with the F&B vouchers, but it was a strange time. In the meantime, I had to find a place where we could live in NY while our apartment was finished, preferably on the West Side, where our cat would be welcome. A place with rooms large (and quiet) enough that my husband would be able to work.

We ended up at The Out Hotel, a now defunct place on W 42nd that catered to the gay community. Unfortunately, the owners held a fundraiser for Ted Cruz in their home during the 2015-2016 campaign, and the place never recovered. But, at the time, it was a good place for us to spend a couple of months. The room was large (ish). It was close to lots of fun places to eat. They had fantastic weekend brunches. Housekeeping was wonderful to our cat, even bringing her the occasional toy (of course, we handle the kitty litter ourselves).

Since we were in our own hometown, the interior designer brought the mail over (along with progress reports) every week or so.

It was a unique time in our lives.

Last edited by ysolde; Oct 23, 2021 at 9:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.