Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat for infant or extra seat for adult?

Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Most European airlines seem to charge all their fees (including YQ) for an infant travelling on his own seat, but they do not charge those fees if you book an extra seat for an adult (e.g. obese passengers, cello players, etc). It seems that it would be advantageous for the adult to always book the infant as a lap infant, buy an extra seat for himself, and then place the infant car seat in that extra seat.

Am I missing anything obvious here?

Last edited by mmff; Sep 21, 2021 at 5:20 pm Reason: Changed wording for clarity
Old Sep 22, 2021, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mmff
Am I missing anything obvious here?
A boarding pass perhaps?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
A boarding pass perhaps?
​​​​​​I meant that taking the child (< 2 years old) as a lap infant (with a boarding pass, naturally) and then adding an extra seat for the adult seems to be cheaper than booking a child fare with a seat.

Last edited by mmff; Sep 22, 2021 at 7:32 am Reason: Added age of hypothetical young traveller for clarity
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do most airlines allow a passenger to book two seats for any reason? The obese passenger and the cellist would both fit into very specific ticketing policies. (I think some airlines have killed off the ability to book seats for musical instruments.)

If the policies limit who can buy a second seat, then the natural response from the airline would be to just ticket the infant in the second seat.

Given how many European fares have very low base fares and very high YQ, I'd be surprised if this actually works in practice. If it does, people have been really quiet about it.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I had to call LX for an unrelated reason today and asked it out of curiosity. The agent said that I'd be able to book an extra seat for the adult "regardless of weight" and added that this would be honored "as strictly as any other seat", but that "overbooking could mean adjustments, as with any other reservation".

Originally Posted by pinniped
Do most airlines allow a passenger to book two seats for any reason? The obese passenger and the cellist would both fit into very specific ticketing policies. (I think some airlines have killed off the ability to book seats for musical instruments.)

If the policies limit who can buy a second seat, then the natural response from the airline would be to just ticket the infant in the second seat.

Given how many European fares have very low base fares and very high YQ, I'd be surprised if this actually works in practice. If it does, people have been really quiet about it.
This is what I think as well, hence my post and my question about missing anything obvious.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I guess you could pull that off then.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:41 am

Will they let you take the car seat on board if you don't have an infant with an allocated seat in the booking?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I guess you could pull that off then.
It seems so. I will probably not try it out myself because the last thing I want on family trips is to add yet another source of entropy and potential point of failure.

Originally Posted by ft101
Will they let you take the car seat on board if you don't have an infant with an allocated seat in the booking?
That is a good question. If it's a small infant car seat that fits in the overhead bin, I think they have to. If not, it will likely be a different conversation altogether.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.