Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Had an Aborted Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
As an Aviator, I always say “Better Safe than Sorry”. I also say any landing that you can walk away from is a great landing but even better if there’s no maintenance inspection afterwards.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
As an Aviator, I always say “Better Safe than Sorry”. I also say any landing that you can walk away from is a great landing but even better if there’s no maintenance inspection afterwards.
or more than inspection
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
My first was in 2016, flying into EDI. We could feel the cross wind. Lufthansa. Was really glad to get my feet on the ground.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Back in the 70's I flew on a charter airline (Tower Air?) from JFK to Paris. On the return the entire flight was booked on another charter, except for 9 pax, we were to fly on Continental to EWR. For the 9 we were to report to an isolated spot at 9:00 am, an agent appeared and scribbled something on my Tower Air bp.
At every stage my bp was challenged: "that's not a Continental TGicket"--but we got on the plane, the doors closed and we taxied to the runway and built up to take-off speed, but the t/o was aborted; I had a premonition that the 9 Tower Air pax were being kicked off the plane...it seems there were several FAs on the plane that were needed in Paris (not EWR), after they deplaned we proceeded unevently to EWR.

Last edited by nrr; Aug 17, 2021 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:46 pm

At my airline the go around is the default procedure with a landing considered an alternate procedure. In other words, always prepared and planning for a go around and if we can land, great. I can tell you from a pilot's perspective, a GA is a routine maneuver. And in fact if we bounce a landing, a go around is mandatory....
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’ll second the comment above. I’m a Captain at an airline myself and both events (overweight issue and aborted landing) are more common than you think. We always plan to go around, and have a plan for what we are going to do if that occurs. I understand this can seem alarming to passengers, but rest assured, we are well trained and prepared.
DCAproducer and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:37 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
I’ve had the pleasant experience of 5 of those.
It happened to me the very first time I flew, many years ago, LHR-DUB. The Aer Lingus pilot came on the PA and said "I think we'll just try that one again...." Passengers around me were freaking out, but I was quite unconcerned because I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be like that!
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had two aborted landings (LH and military) and one rejected takeoff (AA). The latter was much more exciting, as it was on a short field - DCA.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Despite being on thousands of flights, it’s only happened once to me due to wind shear. It was UA, so I actually got to listen to ATC talk to them as it was happening. Apparently just before touch down the pilots got a windshear alert, and initiated a go around.

We were probably less than 80 feet from touchdown when engines went full throttle and suddenly we were climbing and that scared a lot of the passengers.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I've had 4. The weirdest one was landing at BOS when we had to abort landing due to a cruise ship heading out to the bay in our flight path.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Three aborted landings (two on the same flight), three abort takeoffs (two on the same flight) and once struck by lightning while on the ground with boarding door open.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I remember one many years on TWA... We were coming in at St. Louis, I think (that was one of their hubs, no?), and were almost on the ground when the engines suddenly whined up to full power and around we went..... An aircraft was crossing the runway, from what I recall. It was an interesting experience.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've had five go-arounds that I can remember in about 500 flights on Delta: one at ATL, one at LGA, one at SLC, and two on the same flight into EWR -- on an exceptionally windy night while landing on the crosswind runway.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had several go arounds in about five million miles (total on all carriers) of flying, but I remember the first one. It was TWA JFK-PHL returning from a business trip to Europe on a summer evening. The flight was delayed due to severe thunderstorms. Finally we departed and it seemed to be an uneventful flight until touchdown. Just as our wheels hit the runway, all of the lights went out as far as I could see. We powered up (an interesting demo of what a commercial aircraft can do) and flew back to JFK. When we had a successful do-over several hours later, PHL ground staff told us that the airport monitors indicated we had landed the first time, but everyone was concerned because they didn't see a plane.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
My go arounds' are fairly uncommon.
My last one was several weeks ago when returning from IAH-CLE on UA, we were on final and then did a go around for an indeterminate reason given by the pilot. We went from being 5 minutes early to 10 minutes late.

Prior to that, returning from CLT-CLE, landing was aborted due to high wind gusts. Finally wound up in Allentown, Pa and had to rent a car to drive home. The plane itself was going to return to CLT for the night and I had to be at work in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.