Wiki Posts
Search

Art in Rooms and On-Premises at Hotel and Resort Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Art in Rooms and On-Premises at Hotel and Resort Properties

I did not see this posted in my thread search.
does anyone else have strong opinions on on the art in rooms?
I have been staying in various Hilton family properties in Atlanta and find the art generally disturbing.
Abstract expressionist. It looks like Phallus-centric BDSM. Specifically the Atlanta Airport Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn Airport North properties. not a fan.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Anyone know what this art piece is? Or of?

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
From the Hilton Glasgow {GBR} thread.

David
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by madmanshoney
I did not see this posted in my thread search.
does anyone else have strong opinions on on the art in rooms?
I have been staying in various Hilton family properties in Atlanta and find the art generally disturbing.
Abstract expressionist. It looks like Phallus-centric BDSM. Specifically the Atlanta Airport Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn Airport North properties. not a fan.
LOL if there is something lower on my list of travel concerns, I don’t know what it would be.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:55 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by smmrfld
LOL if there is something lower on my list of travel concerns, I don’t know what it would be.
More fun to hijack this thread and talk about great art in public spaces. In the Hilton universe, The Botero Lounge in the Maui Grand Wailea immediately comes to mind.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
More fun to hijack this thread and talk about great art in public spaces. In the Hilton universe, The Botero Lounge in the Maui Grand Wailea immediately comes to mind.
I will add it to my list. Any original works?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The public walkway at the hilton waikoloa village is full of art and sculptures and statues.

Regards
tbs
CDTraveler and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:31 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I will add it to my list. Any original works?
All the Botero’s are, the valuation must be in the $10s of millions.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The public walkway at the hilton waikoloa village is full of art and sculptures and statues.

Regards
tbs
Thanks, I’m staying for the first time in November.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Try not to stare at this 3'x5' Rorschach inkblot near your bed for about a month's worth of weeknights. ATL Airport Hilton, various rooms, Q1 & 2 2021. LOL all you like.

Rorschach inkblot #1
strickerj and NBwoodstock like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:54 pm

There used to be some great art at the Hilton Dusseldorf lobby area, but I am unsure that it remains.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have found that when I turn off the light to go to sleep the "art" disappears. I am there for a place to sleep.

I have not even thought about this.However, I am now looking at the art in my room and I noticed something that is even more bothersome: the blue/black art thingy is crooked. Now that really bothers me. I will have to get up and fix it.

[gets up to fix crooked art thingy]. . . .

Oh no! It is glued to the wall crooked. It is ugly and crooked. I may ask for a new room.

Maybe I can get some points for my discomfort. Or a free weekend night cert. This is FlyerTalk after all. It is what we do.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jun 10, 2021 at 10:03 pm
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Try not to stare at this 3'x5' Rorschach inkblot near your bed for about a month's worth of weeknights. ATL Airport Hilton, various rooms, Q1 & 2 2021. LOL all you like.

Rorschach inkblot #1
The art may be representative of the daily struggles that are soothed by the comfort of a good night's sleep. The blue may represent sky and day while the swirls of black are the feelings of the dissolution of the day into the swirls of night. There is a balance between the sky and darkness while this swirling discontinuity remains dispersed in representation of life. What better way to end the day that the quiet reflect upon the activities and action that is life itself. I still can not explain the brownish stuff that sort of looks like smeared caramel topping without any ice cream. I would like some ice cream. Maybe they have some in the pantry next to the front desk. I bet they don't have the caramel topping.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
LOL. You people.

That round painting looks very 1980s. (By the way, a round painting is called a tondo. You learned something today.)

This is all pretty typical hotel art. That painting from the Hilton ATL is a bad Joan Mitchell imitation. She's a great painter of the 1950s. It IS actually a little bolder than most hotel art.

This stuff is most commonly chosen by decorators who just pick things to match the decor. Artists crank it out for this specific purpose, often following directives from the decorators--sometimes they charge by the square foot. But some high-end hotels have really serious artwork--the Park Hyatt Washington comes to mind.

I'd much rather have these abstract paintings and prints than cheesy posters of landscapes and still-lifes.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hotturnip
That round painting looks very 1980s. (By the way, a round painting is called a tondo. You learned something today.)
Thank you for defining the relevant term for a circular piece of art. The question still remains: what is it?

David
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's just an abstract composition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.