Art in Rooms and On-Premises at Hotel and Resort Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Art in Rooms and On-Premises at Hotel and Resort Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
This is a great thread. Someone should start a podcast.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
This is a great thread. Someone should start a podcast.
"Hilton for Arts Sake"

David
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:47 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by DELee
"Hilton for Arts Sake"

David
The Art of the Redemption.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by hotturnip
LOL. You people.

That round painting looks very 1980s. (By the way, a round painting is called a tondo. You learned something today.)

This is all pretty typical hotel art. That painting from the Hilton ATL is a bad Joan Mitchell imitation. She's a great painter of the 1950s. It IS actually a little bolder than most hotel art.

This stuff is most commonly chosen by decorators who just pick things to match the decor. Artists crank it out for this specific purpose, often following directives from the decorators--sometimes they charge by the square foot. But some high-end hotels have really serious artwork--the Park Hyatt Washington comes to mind.

I'd much rather have these abstract paintings and prints than cheesy posters of landscapes and still-lifes.
Honestly I'd rather see the landscapes and cityscapes relevant to the location where I'm staying. Interesting bit of background though; thanks for posting.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Actually, Hilton Bogota Corferias in Colombia has an extensive collection of original art throughout the hotel property.

I was impressed.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I really know very little technically about art. It is just not on my radar. However, in contributing to and reading this thread, something has occurrd to me. I notice art when it is very good and when it is very bad. Most of the hotel art is in that vast middle where it is neither very bad nor very good. It is simply something that breaks up blank spaces on walls. If there were no "art," we would certainly notice and would probably build a thread on "Why are there so many blank walls in Hilton hotel rooms?"
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I could let this thread go by without a mention of a Hilton hotel named The ART hotel...

We just recently stayed at the ART Hotel in Denver (Curio Collection) and we were upgraded to a King Mountain View Suite. As the hotel is next to the Denver Art Museum, the hotel has art pieces throughout the hotel - and even across the street.

When checking in, we were told that not only did we have a Mountain View, we also had an “ocean view” as that is the name of the picture that hangs on the side of the building opposite the hotel and is actually owned by that hotel.

Denver Post - Ocean View (picture in article)
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Good morning!

Several off-topic posts have been deleted. The title of this thread has been re-named to more accurately reflect the scope of the topic. Thanks

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
The Rome Cavalieri has some amazing artwork throughout the property. https://romecavalieri.com/art-collection/
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I really know very little technically about art. It is just not on my radar. However, in contributing to and reading this thread, something has occurrd to me. I notice art when it is very good and when it is very bad. Most of the hotel art is in that vast middle where it is neither very bad nor very good. It is simply something that breaks up blank spaces on walls. If there were no "art," we would certainly notice and would probably build a thread on "Why are there so many blank walls in Hilton hotel rooms?"
Well, there you go.

That's the thing about hotel art. It typically strives for that middle ground. That's why it's generally not respected in the art world. I would add, though, that an artist friend did a lot of the art for the Renaissance Convention Center in DC, at least in the lobby, and her work was well above average (although she did indeed do it at the behest of a decorator). They may have remodeled and done away with it since I was last there--a shame if that's so. Her work was beautiful.

I do find that the upper-end Hilton brands usually go for abstraction and somewhat more ambitious works than the lower-end brands. (There's probably a master's thesis in that for someone.) You'll sometimes find actual signed and numbered prints in the rooms rather than just mass-produced, framed posters.

(I'm an art historian, in case you were wondering.)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, there you go.

That's the thing about hotel art. It typically strives for that middle ground. That's why it's generally not respected in the art world. I would add, though, that an artist friend did a lot of the art for the Renaissance Convention Center in DC, at least in the lobby, and her work was well above average (although she did indeed do it at the behest of a decorator). They may have remodeled and done away with it since I was last there--a shame if that's so. Her work was beautiful.

I do find that the upper-end Hilton brands usually go for abstraction and somewhat more ambitious works than the lower-end brands. (There's probably a master's thesis in that for someone.) You'll sometimes find actual signed and numbered prints in the rooms rather than just mass-produced, framed posters.

(I'm an art historian, in case you were wondering.)
I was wondering, thanks for your helpful insights. Currently staying at Hilton Atlanta. No art in the room at all, the view east from the 24th floor more than makes up for it.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
A looooong time ago I stayed at the Westin Atlanta. Above the bed they had a 6' wide black-and-white photo of the skyline of Atlanta. After the stay, on a whim, I emailed the general inbox for the hotel asking where they got the photo. The GM emailed me back saying they were about to renovate and many were being trashed. He offered to mail me one (without the frame) at no cost. I was floored.

More hotels are going towards local artwork, or at least local photography. I like these much more than the abstract art seen in many places.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by aww3583
A looooong time ago I stayed at the Westin Atlanta. Above the bed they had a 6' wide black-and-white photo of the skyline of Atlanta. After the stay, on a whim, I emailed the general inbox for the hotel asking where they got the photo. The GM emailed me back saying they were about to renovate and many were being trashed. He offered to mail me one (without the frame) at no cost. I was floored.

More hotels are going towards local artwork, or at least local photography. I like these much more than the abstract art seen in many places.
Did you get it and reframe it?

David
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by aww3583
A looooong time ago I stayed at the Westin Atlanta.
I actually like the idea of discussing art in hotels in general and not just within the brands of Hilton.

Let us please continue this discussion in the TravelBuzz forum so that other FlyerTalk members may share their experiences with art in hotels from lodging companies other than Hilton as well.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DELee
Did you get it and reframe it?

David
I did. Cost an arm and a leg to get it matted and framed, but it was beautiful. It didn’t survive one of my many moves. But a great memory nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.