Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smoking on Planes: Was it Really that Bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking on Planes: Was it Really that Bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2021, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
If you want to realize how much society has been degraded think about when smoking first was restricted to certain rows then totally banned. No almost daily occurrences of disturbances or flights over not being able to smoke. No air rage because someone was prohibited from lighting up. People simply obeyed first the limitations and then the outright prohibition.
I am betting that a lot of the daily smoking-related disturbances at the beginning of a smoking ban hitting a route/airline didn't result in a "throw the book at them" approach to violators. I recall some FAs telling passengers who smoked in the bathroom things like "it's not allowed, don't do it again" and not doing anything else as far as I could tell. But that was before the 9/11 mentality took over; and back then, the "one strike and your out approach" didn't really apply to most of those who could afford to fly and fly more frequently than their average compatriot. Not sure when they started putting up smoking alarms in the bathroom, but I do know that there have been times before 9/11 when I would go into a plane lavatory and it would smell like someone had smoked in there or at least had lit a match. As a non-smoker, I was curious if I'd ever be falsely accused of smoking in a lavatory in some of those situations, but It never happened to me.
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by pinniped
There have actually been a lot of issues over the years with people sneaking smokes and vapes on airplanes.
Vaping was how I broke a 30-year cigarette addiction. Took a year tapering down the nicotine, then I stopped.

People who continue to vape long after the nicotine itch is dead are just dumb.

If a plane's lav had a vacuum toilet, judicious timing of a flush would suck the vape exhaust right out without tripping the alarm or otherwise bothering anyone but I only ever did that on long hauls, and then rarely.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:44 am
Suspended

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

I was a kid at the time and we always sat in the non-smoking section on those TATL flights before the complete in-flight ban on smoking. And it was horrible. The cigarette smoke wandered into the non-smoking cabin. I remember just feeling disgusting after an overnight flight when sitting in a row only a few behind the end of the smoking section.
SPN Lifer and gretchendz like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I believe emergency descent rate is on the order of 6000 ft/min
It's probably one of those things that feels more exaggerated to a regular passenger than it really is, but it felt like a very rapid descent with a hard 180 thrown in and then we were on the ground. Might've taken 10-15 minutes but it all felt super fast and the captain didn't talk much beyond "prepare for a rapid descent and landing". People in the back put two and two together...they smelled the smoke (cigarette smoke, not entire-airplane-on-fire smoke) and saw the smoker hustle back to his seat. There wasn't any panic in the cabin.

After the smoker was deplaned, the captain explained to everyone what had happened, reminding us that smoke in an airplane is something they take incredibly seriously.

We were headed to LA. I sometimes wonder what happened to that smoker. A guest at the Graybar Hotel for a night, a long bus ride home, and a hefty fine seem likely.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DRO is at 6500 ft ... descent at 6000 fpm from (say) 36000 ft to 12000 ft would take ~4 min; then a more nominal rate for the approach would take ~5 min ... so your 10 min is entirely believable

the pilots probably told ATC that they needed to go to DRO, in compliance with the emergency procedure step that says “Land at the nearest suitable airport,” and ATC gave them the 180-degree course change as soon as practical
Old May 6, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Although I generally find the smell of lingering cigarette smoke disgusting, I had a positive association with it from my early days of flying. Although I always sat in the non-smoking section, I associated that musty smell that hit you as soon as you boarded with the joys of air travel. I just thought that that's how airplanes smelled, without really thinking it was due to smoking.

Even after smoking was banned on flights in the mid-90's, aircraft still tended to have that smell to them due to years of prior in-flight smoking. That's one of the things that struck me the first time I flew on a 777 in 1997: just how fresh the air seemed. I soon realized it was because it was the first aircraft I had been on that had never been smoked on, and not really due to the newness of the aircraft. These days, when I encounter an object that's spent a long time in a smoking environment (such as in a smoker's house), the lingering smell reminds me of flights I took as a child.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:02 pm

I remember flying as a kid in the 1970s---the smoke was terrible.

Last edited by John Isaac; May 26, 2021 at 5:46 am
Old May 10, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by jrl767
smoking sections in domestic F tended to get smaller toward the end of their existence ... I remember ~1987-89 both TW and UA were down to the A/B seats in the last row of F on their narrow-body jets, so on several TCON trips I deliberately booked those for Mrs767 and myself to ensure completely smoking-free F cabins

Originally Posted by 8mh
Yeah, it was pretty bad.
I was a kid at the time and we always sat in the non-smoking section on those TATL flights before the complete in-flight ban on smoking. And it was horrible. The cigarette smoke wandered into the non-smoking cabin. I remember just feeling disgusting after an overnight flight when sitting in a row only a few behind the end of the smoking section.
This, I would still smell smoke from the previous people who sat in those porous seat coverings, and feel that it would transfer to your clothing. My parents were smokers when I was growing up, so the house/cars would smell of smoke at times. When they would quit for periods of time, they would gain weight. So I thought that they needed to have something in their mouth whether it be a cigarette or food. This is something that changed as I got older and understood more about addiction.

When I was in high school 83-86, smoking classmates would run out to the front of school outside the campus fence just to take a hit. We had only 10 minutes between periods, so it had to be quick. Then they would come to class reeking of smoke, which made concentrating in class a difficult thing. At one point, a non-smoking teacher basically separated them by putting them in the back of the class with non-smokers in the front. Finally, I am glad I didn't see the appeal, I took one hit and then puked, I also tried chewing tobacco and had the same experience, so stayed away from it all.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My mother was a heavy smoker and I used to fly with her as a kid. It never bothered me when smoking was allowed throughout the plane but I remember disliking being stuck in the back where the smoke was more concentrated. The same on the Tube - it wasn't bothersome when it was allowed everywhere but when it was consigned to carriages, those carriages were exceedingly unpleasant. Likewise with pubs.

Nowadays of course it's very rare I come into contact with smokers and the smell it leaves on my clothes always shocks me. I suppose it was everywhere before, and we were desensitised.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:30 pm

It was bad, but not as bad as my dad lighting up his Cuban in the car, with the windows closed.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I didn't notice it as much when I was a very young child but in the summer of 1980 I flew NRSA on AA74 LAX-CLE and was stuck near the back of coach. First Class and the forward part of coach was unavailable because the California Angels (that was their name back in 1980) had those seats. I was in a middle seat and was immersed in cigarette smoke and it was awful and I felt sick for several days afterwards.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:51 am

This thread caused me to notice smoking rooms in airports in my recent travels - IAD B and VIE G. I had forgotten all about these. I recall, a number of years ago, where a colleague would purposefully schedule flights through ORD so that he had time to go outside to smoke and make it back through security (prior to PreCheck) for his next flight.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by trainman74
CurbedEnthusiasm mentioned above when U.S. airlines stopped allowing smoking systemwide. Leading up to that in the U.S., it was kind of a gradual process -- the first ban went into effect in 1988, with smoking banned on flights shorter than 2 hours (although Northwest went further at the time, banning smoking on all their flights within North America). Smoking was banned on flights shorter than 6 hours in 1990.

Here's a Northwest ad from 1988 announcing their no-smoking policy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXqj5-YIj8
This is what I always remember as the end of smoking on planes. I grew up at MSP in the 80's so it was very NWA heavy. In fact until 2002 I only ever flew NWA or Sun Country.

Looking at how few places banned smoking and how few places allow smoking now. I remember being in Madison, WI in 2001 maybe and being told for the first time that there was no smoking section at a restaurant. Now I can't think the last time I was anywhere that even offered a smoking room at a hotel.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
This is what I always remember as the end of smoking on planes. I grew up at MSP in the 80's so it was very NWA heavy. In fact until 2002 I only ever flew NWA or Sun Country.

Looking at how few places banned smoking and how few places allow smoking now. I remember being in Madison, WI in 2001 maybe and being told for the first time that there was no smoking section at a restaurant. Now I can't think the last time I was anywhere that even offered a smoking room at a hotel.
I'm staying at a Hilton Garden Inn this very week that offers smoking rooms - in California, if you can believe that! I almost accidentally selected one during online check in.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
My first flight was sometime back in the 80's to visit my grandparents while I was still a toddler, and I didnt fly again until I was in college in the 2000's so no memory whatsoever of smoking on planes. I have lots of memories however of smoking in restaurants. As someone with allergies and asthma it was very unpleasant. Made the food taste bad too since the cigarrette smoke stink was all over everything even in non smoking sections.

Got much better in the mid 90's when indoor smoking bans at restaurants became the norm. I remember restaurant owners screaming bloody murder that smoking bans would destroy their business because people like to light up after a meal and they feared backlash from smokers that they would stop going. Turns out it was the opposite, smoking bans made dining much better and nobody had any backlash or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.