Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are your friends and family savvy with booking travel?

Are your friends and family savvy with booking travel?

Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Reading this thread sounds like a travel agent private-complaint-forum The difference is the TAs get paid (at little) to take the frustration and abuse!
I completely agree, even somehow funny.
gretchendz and Franky16 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well a good chunk of my friends are Flyertalkers so I'd say yes

My non FT friends are not very good though. Most of my family isn't either and as my parents age they get worse and worse. My brother James (a FTer in his own right) however is the most savvy person with miles and points I know. I frequently consult him for advice on such things and it's nice having him as a resource.
gretchendz and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:07 am

For better or worse, I'm the go to for my family, and a large chunk of my social circle, for planning and booking travel.

For the most part, I don't mind - with two exceptions:

1) Offering help and recommendations for air tickets, sending over screenshots, instructions, and links - only to have the person call me back weeks later, typically only a few days out from the flight, and asking why the price of the ticket has now gone up from what I sent them. This happens regardless of how many times I caveat the information with "prices change frequently, don't wait to book this".

2) The huge circle of people I know who will book the *very cheapest* option between the city pair. They'll happily take two stops, a pair of long layovers, and arriving in the middle of the night to save $12 over a much faster nonstop. At least that doesn't (typically) affect me directly, but I really don't get it.
mtofell likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.