Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bolt and latch my door. "Oh no- now I'm dead!" ... what happens now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bolt and latch my door. "Oh no- now I'm dead!" ... what happens now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExArkie
For me at 16 years old (talking ancient history here), it was being at a job site (building houses in rural Arkansas with my father) in the middle of nowhere and locking the key in the truck. Fortunately, my father had worked as an auto mechanic and knew how the lock was structured inside the door. With him explaining what to feel for and me doing the fishing, took about 15 minutes to get it open. Next time went a lot faster, but that time it wasn't MY fault the keys got locked in the car.

Also figured out how to pick house locks and dead bolts because when you show up to finish the cabinets at a house 30 miles from the nearest human and the plumber locked the door before leaving, taking the key with him, it's a lot easier to learn how to pick the lock than it is to spend half a day of uncompensated hours finding the key.

Haven't had much calling for those talents in a long time and probably couldn't replicate the actions required.
If 2021 gets even worse and the apocalypse happens you're the guy to keep around.
kennycrudup, SFO777, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
For me at 16 years old (talking ancient history here), it was being at a job site (building houses in rural Arkansas with my father) in the middle of nowhere and locking the key in the truck. Fortunately, my father had worked as an auto mechanic and knew how the lock was structured inside the door. With him explaining what to feel for and me doing the fishing, took about 15 minutes to get it open. Next time went a lot faster, but that time it wasn't MY fault the keys got locked in the car.

Also figured out how to pick house locks and dead bolts because when you show up to finish the cabinets at a house 30 miles from the nearest human and the plumber locked the door before leaving, taking the key with him, it's a lot easier to learn how to pick the lock than it is to spend half a day of uncompensated hours finding the key.

Haven't had much calling for those talents in a long time and probably couldn't replicate the actions required.
No magnetic box under the fender with a spare key?
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
For decades I carried spare house & car keys in my wallet. As the latter have grown more bulky, I keep them in my pocket.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One of the major U.S. lock makers (Weiser, Schlage, Yale) had a problem where the locks were easy to unlock, something called lock bumping. Fixed within the past few years apparently.
Different Ways to Unlock Deadbolt Locks | Hunker

Lock-picking tool available ha been tightened up (guess it depends on jurisdiction). Have to be licensed to possess them and in some places, possession of a slim jim can be considered intent to commit a crime.

Getting new front doors installed tomorrow and the hardware is German. May not make a difference as it's almost all glass.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 10, 2021 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:03 pm

This is a pretty good video on opening all the doors. All the doors. There is a section on Hotels as well.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I was at a Hilton property (Hampton Inn), last year, and some random guy opened my door and I had the deadbolt on and that safety guard. The safety guard was the only thing that immediately stopped him from entering my room. But, if he really wanted in he could have easily bypassed that stupid lock. Hilton gave me 30,000 points for dealing with the situation. But, contrary to what we all may believe, those deadbolt locks are useless if you use a key card to open the door. I put the deadbolt on and just used the key card and the door opened, so any housekeeper or staff can still enter with a key card. Might not happen on all doors but did at this hotel. I carry two door stops and a door alarm when I'm traveling, and usually on use them in really seedy hotels while I'm sleeping, but this incident happened two hours before I was checking out They had no idea who the guy was or why he had key card access. The only thing I saw in his hand was a cellphone that the screen was illuminated,and may have been using some kind of app He tried opening the door twice and I had to put all my body weight on it to keep it closed. Then he just left. That was the weirdest thing. So, I definitely don't trust any of those electronic locking doors
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I was at a Hilton property (Hampton Inn), last year, and some random guy opened my door and I had the deadbolt on and that safety guard. The safety guard was the only thing that immediately stopped him from entering my room. But, if he really wanted in he could have easily bypassed that stupid lock. Hilton gave me 30,000 points for dealing with the situation. But, contrary to what we all may believe, those deadbolt locks are useless if you use a key card to open the door. I put the deadbolt on and just used the key card and the door opened, so any housekeeper or staff can still enter with a key card. Might not happen on all doors but did at this hotel. I carry two door stops and a door alarm when I'm traveling, and usually on use them in really seedy hotels while I'm sleeping, but this incident happened two hours before I was checking out They had no idea who the guy was or why he had key card access. The only thing I saw in his hand was a cellphone that the screen was illuminated,and may have been using some kind of app He tried opening the door twice and I had to put all my body weight on it to keep it closed. Then he just left. That was the weirdest thing. So, I definitely don't trust any of those electronic locking doors
Sadly, the thread over in the Hilton forum will get longer.

David
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Sadly, the thread over in the Hilton forum will get longer.

David
Thanks for the link, I just read most of it. Just want to add that the weirdest thing was, I had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, so anybody would assume somebody was in the room. When the door opened initially I thought it was housekeeping, but when I saw the guys baseball hat and street clothes, I pushed the door close with my weight and tried to deadbolt it again. But that's when I figured he was overusing it. But, that top cheap security latch saved me. Have no clue what his motives were. I would recommend folks get a door alarm at night and anything else to help secure the door. The alarm could alert others and possibly cause the intruder to quickly leave. But, one thing for sure those deadbolt locks don't work if anyone has a key card or electronic access to the room.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
In the days before electronic locking systems on automobiles, a similar locking mechanism was used in cars. A good car thief could use a "shim" and get a car unlocked in seconds. When I was just entering college, my brother-in-law helped a fellow dormmate get into a car that he had locked himself out of by doing almost exactly this but with a coat hanger. My sister had been married to my BIL for about five years at that point and I knew him as an upstanding guy, but I must admit that, in those pre-YouTube days, I began to wonder about how he knew how to do what he did and what his life was like before he met my sister!
I thought everybody learned to do that as a kid in the mechanical car door lock days. Paying somebody to come out was expensive, so you'd just get a friend with a coat hanger to come out, or if you'd locked the keys in the car in the driveway, just go in the house and get a coat hanger.
Silver Fox and ExArkie like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by thebat
No magnetic box under the fender with a spare key?
I still keep one under my RV
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If you're really, really paranoid about someone getting in your hotel room while you're sleeping, you can invest in a robust doorstop and wedge it into the door before you pad off to bed.

Meanwhile, most newer hotels have abandoned the night latch in favor of this:

These can be defeated too. Which means your best defense is to ENGAGE THE DEADBOLT.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If you're really, really paranoid about someone getting in your hotel room while you're sleeping, you can invest in a robust doorstop and wedge it into the door before you pad off to bed.

Meanwhile, most newer hotels have abandoned the night latch in favor of this:

These can be defeated too. Which means your best defense is to ENGAGE THE DEADBOLT.
I can attest that not all deadbolts actually work if somebody has a key card or app to open your door. Next time you're at a hotel with somebody have them put the deadbolt on and you use the key card to open it. The key card disengages the deadbolt too. Maybe not all hotels, but I would definitely test it before going to sleep.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had that happen from both sides where they gave me a key card to an occupied room and where they gave someone else a keycard to mine. The swing-latch kept the door from fully opening both times. When they gave me the wrong keycard I think it was because I was I was had checked in online but arrived very late and they messed up assigning rooms for online check-ins. The time I was already in the room it was shortly after I'd checked in and somehow they double assigned the room.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I can attest that not all deadbolts actually work if somebody has a key card or app to open your door. Next time you're at a hotel with somebody have them put the deadbolt on and you use the key card to open it. The key card disengages the deadbolt too. Maybe not all hotels, but I would definitely test it before going to sleep.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This setup would work much better

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/fb...ba9a5a94b9.jpg

So every road warrior will need a cordless drill driver, 2x4 (about 32"?), a pair of brackets and the hardware.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.