Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which (or how many) states have/haven't you been to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which (or how many) states have/haven't you been to?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
US States left to go: Arkansas, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Vermont, and if you don't count connecting in airports, Minnesota. But I'll be moving to Ohio from Texas soon and I've told my wife our route WILL go through Arkansas so I can cross off that state.

I've never left the airport but given the number of times I've connected in MSP, I've spent more total time on the ground in Minnesota than some other states you could say I've visited, including overnight visits. Utah/SLC was the same way but I finally drove through Utah when moving from Seattle down to Texas, leaving Minnesota as the only state I have by "cheating" in counting it because I've connected there but never left the airport. That said, my wife and I also have a goal to get to all 30 baseball parks for an MLB game so hopefully I can get to Milwaukee and Minneapolis sometime soon and truly cross off both states. Or sometime I just need to forgo the SkyClub on a long layover and take the light-rail down to Mall of America on an MSP layover and officially check-off Minnesota.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I too am searching for a new travel goal after getting all 50 US states, at least one country for every letter of the alphabet (X excepted), and all seven continents. I have a vague idea about hitting every Canadian province (I only need a few more to check off) but I need something better. Maybe 100 countries—I’m now at 80. The alphabet thing was really fun.
I have the goal of the alphabet thing with airport codes. I have Q, U, W, X, and Z left to go. N was difficult to get in the US but I've flown out of a couple US Navy bases and then finally got another N with NRT. Q and X will likely prove the most difficult to cross off - possibly U as well.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional) would be a 2-for-1
strickerj and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional) would be a 2-for-1
I forgot about XNA - maybe I need to buy some stock in Wal-Mart so I can fly in for the annual shareholders meeting.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
another 2fer would be XWA (Williston ND); WRG of course is in Alaska, but that doesn’t help your state quest

off the top of my head, I can’t think of any U.S. airports whose IATA code starts with Q, U, or Z that have scheduled service; you could get Q and Z in Mexico (QRO, ZIH) and U in the Caribbean (UVF)

IATA alpha list
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another 2fer would be XWA (Williston ND); WRG of course is in Alaska, but that doesn’t help your state quest
XNA wouldn't either since I'll be getting that one by driving through in just over a month. But XNA would help for getting the "X" in the Airport-code by alphabet list.

off the top of my head, I can’t think of any U.S. airports whose IATA code starts with Q, U, or Z that have scheduled service; you could get Q and Z in Mexico (QRO, ZIH) and U in the Caribbean (UVF)

IATA alpha list
Too bad someone decided the code Al Udeid had to be IUD instead of UID. Then I would have had "U" covered. I already had "I" covered when I went through Al Udeid. Same thing with Wright-Patt. If only it was "WPX" or WRI or something instead of FFO, since I've actually flown in/out of WPAFB on a C-17 (WRI actually belongs to McGuire AFB, which sits near Wrightstown, NJ).

For "U" it looks like one option within the US is Quincy, IL (UIN) which receives Cape Air EAS service to STL & ORD.

The Mexico ones are good to know for Q & Z - I figured my best shot of Z was probably Zurich, which even if I wasn't going to Zurich specifically. On my trips to Europe where I hop around, I look for options that get me new airlines and airports and I might consider Swissair via ZRH for an intra-Europe hop to get a new airline and airport.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've already got UIN (1976 on an Ozark FH-227B, ORD-BRL-UIN-STL) ; also UCA (Utica NY) a couple times on Mohawk/Allegheny (1972-76; it closed in 2007 and commercial operations relocated to the former Griffiss AFB)

ZRH and/or ZAG could easily fit into a European trip; Mrs767 still hasn't been to AR, so I guess XNA is still in the mix ... but I can't think of any reason to go to QRO save for logging a "Q" airport
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My nephew has most of us beat: He undertook a mission around age 16 to visit all 4,000 + COUNTIES in the US. Or parishes, or similar units depending on the state.

He's now 25 and still has a few dozen to go.
Tiramisu likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:29 pm

Just 48 visited for me which isn't too bad considering I don't live in the U.S.
I definitely haven't stayed overnight in all of them or flown to/from an airport there.

North Dakota and South Dakota to complete.

I did transit through Bismarck, ND back in 1984 on a Northwest 727 but as I didn't leave the airport, it doesn't count.
So, I need to visit ND first to ensure that SD is completely new.
I had hoped to finish them off last year but other events got in the way.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have the goal of the alphabet thing with airport codes. I have Q, U, W, X, and Z left to go. N was difficult to get in the US but I've flown out of a couple US Navy bases and then finally got another N with NRT. Q and X will likely prove the most difficult to cross off - possibly U as well.
A little farther away, but Koh Samui (USM) would be a good choice. One of the coolest small airports in the world too.

Q is a tough one. That's the only starting letter I haven't hit.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mecabq
A little farther away, but Koh Samui (USM) would be a good choice. One of the coolest small airports in the world too.

Q is a tough one. That's the only starting letter I haven't hit.
Koh Samui is definitely a place I'd like to visit too. We were looking at plane tickets there at one point a few years ago but ended up going somewhere else for several reasons. But a Koh Samui trip is still on the radar for getting to at some point.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Exec
So does it count if I slept overnight, ate dinner and breakfast - but never left the train?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:31 am

Coming from Ireland, I've been to MA, NY, NJ, PA, DE,MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, TX, IL and DC.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I have been to all 50 states and the DOC. I counted a state as one that I stood on the soil, so walked around on the land of that state. That’s not in an airport, but where you could touch the dirt and grass.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I consider "feet on the ground" or "wheels on the ground" as visiting a state. I have been to about 45 of the States, including multiple visits to AK and HI in my 77 years. Will probably not get to the rest.

DD
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:34 am

All but Alaska. Had a trip planned last June but things happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.