Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which (or how many) states have/haven't you been to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which (or how many) states have/haven't you been to?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
I really think that stopping to take a leak or spending the night at a generic roadside motor inn is hardly sufficient to count as a visit to a state.
Hey-- my states, my criteria. YMMV
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:44 pm

You really should not.

Never leaving an airport property is hardly visiting a state. I'd also say that passing through a state on a drive to somewhere else does not count, even if one does stop for food or a quick overnight stay near the interstate. There needs to be some actual reason to be in the state and some minimum amount of time/activity to count it as a visit.

So, my never visited list under the above rules is restricted to:
AK
ND
SD
MN (have connected through airport)
RI (drove through on freeway, probably didn't stop)

Questionable ones:
NM (have caught flight at ABQ when driving one way from Colorado; also spent night in GUP and stopped for dinner in LRU area during long distance road trips)
MT (passing through West Yellowstone on way to Yellowstone NP which is mostly in Wyoming)
AR (had business purpose for meeting on field at KLIT so technically a visit but I never left the airport property)

I really think that stopping to take a leak or spending the night at a generic roadside motor inn is hardly sufficient to count as a visit to a state.
So, if someone says "Hey Herb, ever been to New Mexico?" You would reply "I've only driven through the northern part of the state to get to the Albuquerque airport, spent a night in Gallup, and had a meal in Las Cruces while driving through the state - so, no."

I guess “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is."
moondog, mad_atta and Thysk like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Since visiting each State Capitol has been on my bucketlist (hey, I live in Europe, so I need an excuse to visit North Dakota, for example...which State Capitol looks at a regular Deloitte building, but is actually awesome from the inside).

Without calculating airport-only visits (from West to East):
Alaska
Hawaii
Arkansas
Mississippi
Michigan
West-Virginia
Delaware
Vermont

If even counting an airport visit, you can cross off Michigan due to DTW.
I don't know whether I should count Alabama, due to the fact that I spent about 30 minutes there (to just check it off my list), visiting the Hardee's in Bridgeport and then back on my way to Atlanta (from Nashville, TN).
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Thysk
... North Dakota, for example...which State Capitol looks at a regular Deloitte building ...
not sure about “at” although I would certainly agree with “like”
Thysk likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
paging @GRALISTAIR for "logbook" criteria
All 50 states visited > 10 times
All 50 states visited in less than 1 year 3 times
All 50 states visited in less than 6 months 1 time
All 50 states driven in; flown in/out of; visited the capital city of; photographed the Welcome to sign
All 50 states stayed overnight in > 8 nights
12 states to go to stay overnight > 10 nights in
16 states to go to actually stay overnight in the capital city
All 50 states visited with my wife

34 states visited where I have had carnal knowledge of my wife!!
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I guess “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is."
It usually does!
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
So, if someone says "Hey Herb, ever been to New Mexico?" You would reply "I've only driven through the northern part of the state to get to the Albuquerque airport, spent a night in Gallup, and had a meal in Las Cruces while driving through the state - so, no."
Yes. I would (previously) call it a no. However...

...upon further review, I think I need to move NM off the list and call it a visited state. I was thinking about it and remembered that on the trip where I crossed the state on I-40 and spent the night in GUP, I ventured off of the highway for a bit to check out El Malpais National Monument. Later that day I also ventured off of the freeway to go into Tucumcari and trainspot for a few minutes (I was a train geek before I was an airplane geek and Tucumcari has special meaning to most railfans/students of railroad history**)

**Bonus OTRQ&D thread question: why was Tucumcari important?

not sure about “at” although I would certainly agree with “like”
While also a high rise, at least Louisiana's Capitol has some true art deco flair to it.

Last edited by Herb687; Mar 9, 2021 at 2:40 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've been to all 50. Montana was the last one in 2017.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was about to mention a 360-degree loop to gain elevation to get across an adjacent mountain pass, but remembered that was Tehachapi ... I'm originally from Albuquerque, and was a bit of a rail fan in my single-digit years, but can't actually make any old-timers' associations with the town in question

While also a high rise, at least Louisiana's Capitol has some true art deco flair to it.
tru dat, as the Cajun Country expression goes
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
just missing Alaska.
Ditto.

Although I would confess that my time in Michigan was approximately 90 seconds; drove up U.S. 31 into Michigan from South Bend, crossed the state line, and made a u-turn for the sole purpose of counting it off my list. Did something similar with North Dakota; entered from the south via I-29, took the first exit and went eastward into Minnesota -- probably 5 minutes.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ditto.

Although I would confess that my time in Michigan was approximately 90 seconds; drove up U.S. 31 into Michigan from South Bend, crossed the state line, and made a u-turn for the sole purpose of counting it off my list. Did something similar with North Dakota; entered from the south via I-29, took the first exit and went eastward into Minnesota -- probably 5 minutes.
I drove to Michigan looking for recent Big-10 champ or Rose Bowl trophies, and having found none, turned around and headed back south to Ohio

CT, RI, MN, ND, ID, MT, and AK are on my list. I'd like to save AK for last.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ditto.

Minnesota was the last state that I had never driven a car in. I solved that problem by detouring east from Sioux Falls one time on I-90. I stopped at the first rest area to pee, then got back on the freeway, made a U-turn at the first exit, and headed back to FSD to catch my flight.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I was about to mention a 360-degree loop to gain elevation to get across an adjacent mountain pass, but remembered that was Tehachapi ... I'm originally from Albuquerque, and was a bit of a rail fan in my single-digit years, but can't actually make any old-timers' associations with the town in question
Tucumcari, NM was the changeover from SP to Rock Island on the Golden State Route LA-CHI via El Paso. Not too exciting a place now as the old SP and old Rock is all UP. Though when I ventured off of I-40 to go see what I could find of the depot in Tucumcari, I was at least able to see a UP crew change so that made the detour worthwhile.

Also the westernmost point on Rock Island's Choctaw Route (long since abandoned) mainline to OKC and Memphis. I believe there were through cars MEM-LAX on Rock Island passenger trains that would have been carried on SP trains west of Tucumcari.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm willing to count airport only visits as "been there" but I don't have any of these.

My list (5):
ND
SD
IA
MT
AR
ditto for this
I’ve only been to a few states. I’ve probably been to more European cities than USA states.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Missing 5. ND, AK, LA, MS, and AL.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
All 50 easy - but being in the military really helped as I was stationed in Hawaii and visted AK all the time for Submarine manuevers -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.