Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling w/ your own shower heads, batteries, lights, etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Traveling w/ your own shower heads, batteries, lights, etc

I stay in hotels almost every night. I would love to travel with my own filtered and hand held shower head to have better water quality. How you change out the shower heads without damaging anything?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I think the hotel was fully justified for charging you for altering the plumbing and generating work for the maintenance staff, and they should have held to the charge instead of wimping out and reversing it. Changing the built-in amenities in the hotel room is not part of the contract for the room. Do you rewire the lamps if you don't like them?
I do travel with brighter light bulbs.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I can't say that I have ever found myself in a position at a hotel where I wished I had brought another shower head to swap out.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I do travel with brighter light bulbs.
I’ve flown with a Captain who regularly changed out light bulbs and batteries at hotels on layovers. It annoyed me to no end but he always bought the crew drinks so I guess that’s priorities to their own.

I wish I thought of this but I’m about to rent a new apartment so I’ll be checking the flow GPM.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This is the continuation of a now-closed 2011 thread focused on shower heads.

I travel with $7 unrestricted-flow showerhead and use it in hotels, is this wrong?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
This is the continuation of a now-closed 2011 thread focused on shower heads.

I travel with $7 unrestricted-flow showerhead and use it in hotels, is this wrong?
Great post by the original poster! Welcome to FT, OP!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:49 pm

If I had a multi-week stay at a place with one of those dribbling waterfall things, I would be unhappy. I probably wouldn't be unhappy enough to try to change it, even if I brought a different head with me. The risk of something going awry and ending up responsible for a plumbing repair would deter me. I do appreciate a kindred spirit, my shower at home is a purveyor of water needles!!
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:37 pm

I have brought my own bathroom night light so I do not trip over something at night.....

and my own massage shower head because I did not like the hotel shower head the year before !

If I was staying for a couple weeks I would think about higher wattage bulbs over my work area ,
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've packed my own showerhead and channel locks (large pliers) to change it out. Throw a washcloth between the pliers and the showerhead to prevent damage when removing/re-installed.

I also carry a CO detector with me since a lot of rooms don't have them... despite having large pool heaters, water heaters and other fuel burning appliances directly next to rooms. Laws vary be state. Usually, the laws are only present where a bunch of people have died already (or, people with money/fame). I try to not be part of the learning curve. I'm probably more sensitive/aware since I work in an industry where I learn about things that go wrong and just how little attention/care is given to keeping us safe.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I usually bring a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector particularly when going to a developing country.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I remember that thread from 2011....I remember thinking then that while I love a good shower and am annoyed when hotels have terrible showers, I've never actually brought my own equipment with me. I'd need to be in a long-term stay and annoyed enough to go find a plumbing store near the hotel.

The CO detector makes a lot of sense and is a very portable item.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I usually bring a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector particularly when going to a developing country.
What model do you travel with? We have CO /smoke detectors on each floor of the house, but none of them are what I'd consider portable. Two of them start going off if they are unplugged, and are phenomenally loud, which is good if you're groggy from CO poisoning, but not so good in a suitcase.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
What model do you travel with? We have CO /smoke detectors on each floor of the house, but none of them are what I'd consider portable. Two of them start going off if they are unplugged, and are phenomenally loud, which is good if you're groggy from CO poisoning, but not so good in a suitcase.
It's made by First Alert and is battery-powered.

Amazon Amazon
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:19 pm

https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-Op.../dp/B004Y74ZT2
I added the same to my packing list for some travels. Being a first responder, I've seen first hand the results of smoke and CO inhalation, which makes me consider my own safety in some locales.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:31 pm

https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-Op.../dp/B004Y74ZT2
That's actually the unit we have in my son's room. Next time we travel, and heaven only knows when that might be, I may get a smaller, dedicated CO monitor to take along. Most hotels do have smoke detectors so that function I would be less concerned about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.