Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you can only carry 1 currency note ($ bill) in your small wallet what would it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you can only carry 1 currency note ($ bill) in your small wallet what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Go big or go home. 1000 CHF note.
I think the risk of theft, loss etc. far outweighs the benefit.

He will have a mobile phone, a physical credit card, likely further virtual cards through an app etc. And why CHF if the USD is accepted so much more widely?

It depends on the country, but I'd take something like $20 or $50 at most. It's enough for a few phone calls (in case you iPhone isn't working or something), it's enough to pay for a quick cab ride, train ticket, or some basic meal/drink.

EDIT: I rarely carry around much more than $50 when travelling around the world even if I've got my wallet on me. It can be a bit more in countries in which ATM fees are high or ATMs are hard to come by but $50 is a generous average number for me. I even travel without any kind of cash on me in certain countries such as Poland or the UK.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
As a child of the 60’s who traveled. I quickly learned a few things. One was to keep your passport handy and that in an emergency having at least one 50 USD and one 50 GBP could be very, very useful. The amounts may have changed but I still carry two large notes in my passport for the same reasons. Stopping to find or use an ATM is not always possible.
SPN Lifer, Magna and Ilove2fly like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
As a child of the 60’s who traveled. I quickly learned a few things. One was to keep your passport handy and that in an emergency having at least one 50 USD and one 50 GBP could be very, very useful. The amounts may have changed but I still carry two large notes in my passport for the same reasons. Stopping to find or use an ATM is not always possible.
Ha! This is a great life hack! TIL.
meducate likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Go big or go home. 1000 CHF note.
Same concept: SGD 1000.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Just remember to remove them before presenting the passport to immigration authorities, otherwise they may be removed by some who
would consider them gratuities, or others may charge you with bribery.
Magna and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just remember to remove them before presenting the passport to immigration authorities, otherwise they may be removed by some who
would consider them gratuities, or others may charge you with bribery.
Great point.

I'll place it in the passport wallet instead. I always remove the passport from the wallet before presenting it.
Magna likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I had my wallet stolen in Amsterdam and had roughly $100 USD total remaining stashed in my luggage. If I recall, it was about evenly split between USD and Euro and was my $50 USD hidden stash and a some Euros that were randomly floating around outside my wallet. I flew the next morning to St Petersburg with my passport and essentially no money, debit cards or credit cards. This $100 was by no means enough to last me until my Western Union wire arrived. Things would have gone more smoothly if I had stayed in the EU, but Russia had its challenges and the time zone differences added a day. It was rough. My suggestion is to have at least $200-300 USD or Euro stashed away. I want to have enough for a short hop plane ticket and several days of food, hotel and ground transportation. I now carry more like $500 "spare." I also carry a separate stash of a couple of days worth of my medications and glasses. Money, spare glasses and meds... just in case...
Magna likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I had my wallet stolen in Amsterdam and had roughly $100 USD total remaining stashed in my luggage. If I recall, it was about evenly split between USD and Euro and was my $50 USD hidden stash and a some Euros that were randomly floating around outside my wallet. I flew the next morning to St Petersburg with my passport and essentially no money, debit cards or credit cards. This $100 was by no means enough to last me until my Western Union wire arrived. Things would have gone more smoothly if I had stayed in the EU, but Russia had its challenges and the time zone differences added a day. It was rough. My suggestion is to have at least $200-300 USD or Euro stashed away. I want to have enough for a short hop plane ticket and several days of food, hotel and ground transportation. I now carry more like $500 "spare." I also carry a separate stash of a couple of days worth of my medications and glasses. Money, spare glasses and meds... just in case...
I was advised not to carry too much cash in places where proverbial express kidnappings were a risk at times, as having "too much" cash on person would perhaps be taken as a sign of having way more cash access at ATMs and/or at the place of accommodation and lead to greater risk than it would be worth. $500 cash on a person can give criminals a very different idea about their mark than when their mark has just $100 cash on hand.

Given the stash of points I have to redeem -- points which I can redeem easily for places at least on a reasonably beaten path -- a little internet access goes far enough that my miles/points stash can buy me time and substitute for disrupted access to funds in cash or on bank-issued cards. Miles/points as backup/emergency currency reduces my reliance on a cash note to get by.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my wallet stolen in Amsterdam
Was it lifted from your pocket, or was your hotel room (or hostel or airbnb or whatever room) broken into?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:26 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
One single bill while traveling internationally would have to be $100 as they are both high value and universally accepted at currency exchange at better rates than most other currencies. It's enough to get a cheap hotel room plus meals for a day in many places which anything smaller wouldn't always do.

In practice I usually keep one or two large notes ($100, 50 euro, 10,000 yen etc) as well as a few smaller ones of both my origin and destinations if I can. Having $10-20 or similar value is handy to exchange if I need to buy a meal, souvenirs, or for a short taxi ride during a layover.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpe
One single bill while traveling internationally would have to be $100 as they are both high value and universally accepted at currency exchange at better rates than most other currencies. It's enough to get a cheap hotel room plus meals for a day in many places which anything smaller wouldn't always do.
I like this rationale.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I have a $100 bill in my wallet. It has been there for years! Also Euro, which under normal circumstances gets spent regularly. Then some GBP. Anywhere on the planet will accept them and many other currencies. It's money, people want it. Days after the Euro launched, I saw them in use at Afghan money changers. In these times it is very rare to find somewhere that does not have Visa/MC ATM's. For me, it is more important to keep a spare credit card hidden away.
Magna likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was it lifted from your pocket, or was your hotel room (or hostel or airbnb or whatever room) broken into?

From my backpack in a crowd. Stupid, I know... lesson learned.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:52 am

Easy one for me. $50 note. I've been turned away trying to purchase a $10 - $12 lunch where either the restaurant/cashier didn't have or didn't want to bother giving me change for a $100 note.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my backpack in a crowd. Stupid, I know... lesson learned.
You're not the first I've heard had this happen to them, and I'm certain you won't be the last.
I've also heard stories of being robbed at gunpoint/knifepoint while on vacation elsewhere, so at least you didn't have to suffer through that trauma.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.