Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Contingency Plan-- Should I plan for hopscotching restrictions?

Contingency Plan-- Should I plan for hopscotching restrictions?

Old Oct 9, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I have various itineraries floating around in my head for next year and my advice is as follows:
  1. Keep several plans alive at any one time, with the hope that one will be doable
  2. Non-stop only
  3. One destination country only
  4. Only jump on it at the last moment.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I have various itineraries floating around in my head for next year and my advice is as follows:
  1. Keep several plans alive at any one time, with the hope that one will be doable
  2. Non-stop only
This makes good sense. I've kept my travel plans on hold, but I can see that a non stop to a specific destination might reduce the variables exponentially. The more complex the itinerary, the more likely a snafu occurs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and MODERATOR NOTE: Per an RPR, I've added to the title to help with query specifics.
Old Oct 9, 20, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
  2. Non-stop only
Yes, all makes good sense.

The whole trip is currently about 3 weeks with the first 5 nights in Maldives. The plan B would involve tacking on a couple more there, then getting back in the safest way possible.

I want to achieve that with points, and the current Avios 50% off offer is what got me thinking about SIN/LHR, but that's likely adding too many possible issues. I'm thinking that transit will be allowed pretty much everywhere at worst by then though.

Back the way we came is another option (MLE-DOH-US) but that would be with cash

Thanks for the useful replies...I was never asking anyone to predict the pandemic (obviously). I think it's genuinely a good idea for us to have another option booked in advance, given that if plan B can be used, seats may be gone by nearer the time.
Old Oct 9, 20, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Are you open to visiting Mexico? Most of Asia will remain closed to tourists in 2021 IMHO.
Thanks...yeah, if the whole thing has to be called off, I think Mexico could be a goer for beaches with HH points **off to look at Conrad Punta de Mita**
Old Oct 9, 20, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
None of that will happen, except maybe MLE. Maybe.
Err...exactly? The point of the post was to find a way home from MLE! Thanks for reading
Old Oct 9, 20, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
Err...exactly? The point of the post was to find a way home from MLE! Thanks for reading
I'm thinking that booking something thru SIN is the best option

As in, thats not gonna happen.
Old Oct 9, 20, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I'm thinking that booking something thru SIN is the best option

As in, thats not gonna happen.
Its amazing how on one side people all saying "there's no chance anyone can say what's gonna happen in 6 months" then y'all saying "there's no chance that's gonna happen".

Wanna bet?
Old Oct 10, 20, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Lots of different countries, lots of separate tickets, unclear whether you will be permitted entry into intermediate destinations (as in, denied boarding), and so on, means that the most certain thing one can say at the moment is that it is unlikely this trip will happen in its planned form, and that you’ll likely be denied boarding somewhere along the way, resulting in additional expenses to get home. I see little point in making complex plans like these in a climate of great travel uncertainty.
Old Oct 10, 20, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Lots of different countries, lots of separate tickets, unclear whether you will be permitted entry into intermediate destinations (as in, denied boarding), and so on, means that the most certain thing one can say at the moment is that it is unlikely this trip will happen in its planned form, and that you’ll likely be denied boarding somewhere along the way, resulting in additional expenses to get home. I see little point in making complex plans like these in a climate of great travel uncertainty.
Well, it's our anniversary, it's all cancellable, and it's fun to dream!
Old Oct 10, 20, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Sure, I just wouldn’t really take it too seriously. There’s little way to know until very shortly before the start of your trip, and even then things can change.

But yes, planning is nearly half the fun.
Old Oct 10, 20, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
But yes, planning is nearly half the fun.
Yup, finally someone nails the point of the thread. I'm only on the forum because of this.

If it gets cancelled, it gets cancelled. Hey, ok, I'll go to Mexico.

I have travelled around the world many times and love to just plan and look at potential routings. I guess people picked up "worried" in my original post...was probably too strong. What will be will be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: