Reload this Page >

travel boards with personalized info

Old Oct 6, 20, 9:00 am
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

At CES in Jan. 2020, in conjunction with DL, a new type of travel board was demoed: if you look at a travel board you would see info related to you "John Smith your flight #123 on DL is departing from gate Z9 in 30 minutes". This "new" technology was to go "live" in DTW.
Is it now "live"?
Old Oct 6, 20, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
When I look at departure boards I do tend to see information relevant to my flight anyway...
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 8:44 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
When I look at departure boards I do tend to see information relevant to my flight anyway...
From the demo I saw at CES, when I looked at an overhead type of flight board I recollect that my name also appeared, but only I could see that info.
It was going to debut "live" at DTW and then go nationwide.
[If I looked at a flt. board I would see info relevant to me; if you looked at the same board you would see [i]specific info related to you.]
Facial recognition was related to the technology.

I just remembered the name of technology: Parallel Reality and the exhibitor was "Misapplied Sciences"
https://www.misappliedsciences.com/Home/Technology

Last edited by nrr; Oct 6, 20 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 7, 20, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems cool, but doesn't really solve a problem that the airline app on my phone can't already solve. I'd rather they spent their R&D cycles on something more useful.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:32 am
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Seems cool, but doesn't really solve a problem that the airline app on my phone can't already solve. I'd rather they spent their R&D cycles on something more useful.
For experienced travelers like FTers it probably isn't a "big deal". But for newbies it is probably "nice": (semi) new traveler (slight fear of flying), looks up at the flt. board and sees PERSONALIZED info...probably would lessen flight anxiety.
Old Oct 9, 20, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Complete Speculation: I'd bet Delta put next to no money into this project. In order to sell new but superfluous technology, some small tech companies like to hitch their name onto an established one.

Delta gets a few "magic" screens for free. If the product works as intended, the company developing it gets to tell potential customers: "Delta uses them in Detroit and loves them."

At least, that's the way it worked back when I worked for a corporate-owned and operated hotel. We were a testing site for technology products. Vendors would give the Corporate Office free stuff that we got to keep, in hopes that we'd say it was a magnificent product that needed to be in every hotel. (Nothing we tested in the 8+ years I worked there ever rose to the level, however.)
Old Oct 9, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could be helpful to some inexperienced international travelers who don't speak the local language and don't know English either, assuming that the information could appear in the passenger's own language.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 8:36 am
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Complete Speculation: I'd bet Delta put next to no money into this project. In order to sell new but superfluous technology, some small tech companies like to hitch their name onto an established one.

Delta gets a few "magic" screens for free. If the product works as intended, the company developing it gets to tell potential customers: "Delta uses them in Detroit and loves them."

At least, that's the way it worked back when I worked for a corporate-owned and operated hotel. We were a testing site for technology products. Vendors would give the Corporate Office free stuff that we got to keep, in hopes that we'd say it was a magnificent product that needed to be in every hotel. (Nothing we tested in the 8+ years I worked there ever rose to the level, however.)
I recollect that someone from DL was at MISAPPLIED SCIENCES exhibit. I asked a company representative about their name, which seems "oddball"...their answer was "oddball".
I was curious if it is really "live" in DTW.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:17 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It could be helpful to some inexperienced international travelers who don't speak the local language and don't know English either, assuming that the information could appear in the passenger's own language.
At the CES demo it was multi-lingual, they used (if known) the language associated with your account.
Old Oct 10, 20, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
A solution looking for a problem? Unless it is completely debugged and 100% reliable, it is likely to create more problems than it solves.
Old Oct 12, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A different idea, if this tech actually works well: I'd appreciate it right when I emerge from customs with up-to-the-minute information about ground transportation.

For one, signage in airports is often incomplete or confusing. It's usually fine for a taxi, train, and rental car - but often not clear for the various bus/shuttle services and rideshare. No one makes a good app that handles all of this, and things like Google Maps aren't granular enough down to the door number or exact curb you need to go to for a given bus or rideshare.

Second, if the system had knowledge of real-time status, it would know at the moment I'm looking at the screen what the fastest route to my destination is. Maybe I just missed a train, but there's a bus leaving in 4 minutes that is faster than waiting around for the next train. Or it knows that because of current traffic I definitely *don't* want a car or bus - and should head for the train even with longer wait time. It would know current wait times for taxis and the major rideshare services and always have an up-to-the-minute selection for your destination and show you where to go. Users could either have an app where they've told the system ahead of time where they want to go (and can get A/R help to get there) - or an input screen on the spot for people just learning about it as they arrive.

I don't really need help with the airline stuff - or if I do, the airline's app can handle gates and simple airport maps. It's the ground transport where a little nudge in the right direction would be nice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: