Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you not gain weight while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you not gain weight while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Pre-covid I often did around 15 hours of cardio a week while flying anywhere between one to six times a week.
I often gorged myself in the lounges and in business class, so I think the exercise helped big time... either that or my metabolism is still amazing (I doubt it).
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:14 pm

I *always* want to do exercise while overseas, but it never works out the way I want to.

I chose a hotel with a gym - oops! It's off season and the gym and pool are closed.

I wanted to go running around a major world landmark. But, when I got there, I found it being guarded by soldiers with AK47s who didn't speak English and was concerned about possible misunderstandings.

I successfully did some running on a treadmill in a gym in one country. But, a few days later I went back and it was closed due to covid-19. (This was in late Feb.)

Part of the problem is that I don't know the areas I'm in, and don't have plan Bs.

Not sure when I will travel again, but I really want to plan this properly next time.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I *always* want to do exercise while overseas, but it never works out the way I want to.
I wanted to go running around a major world landmark. But, when I got there, I found it being guarded by soldiers with AK47s who didn't speak English and was concerned about possible misunderstandings.
This sounds like you made a prudent choice!
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Long ago when I first started traveling frequently for work, I got inspired by a consultant who had made it a habit to pick hotels with decent gyms/gym access and to zealously make it a habit to exercise first thing in the morning even before breakfast and heading out for work. It inspired me, but I never got into being able to do it anywhere as well as that consultant. What didn't seem to cause me near-term harm when the gym or outdoor exercise wasn't going to fly all that well on/around a given trip: sticking to drinking just water; avoiding any high fat dairy, sugar-sweetened products and white starchy stuff; and trying to also avoid multi-course dinners.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It sucks when road warrioring on your own especially if you need an accountability partner to get you exercising.

One possibility is to find a local group like a running club.

Of course, during Covid, all of that is much more challenging.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Cardio is great for your heart and respiratory system, but I think really the only way to drop weight is to eat less. The last time I was successful was when I had diet coke for breakfast and ate almost nothing for lunch. For dinner it was protein and veggies. Supposedly, your body sets a weight point it decides to maintain so if you lost weight by eating 25% less, you'd have to continue eating 25% less forever to keep it off. Your body will try it's hardest to get back to what it thinks is your correct weight.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Cardio is great for your heart and respiratory system, but I think really the only way to drop weight is to eat less. The last time I was successful was when I had diet coke for breakfast and ate almost nothing for lunch. For dinner it was protein and veggies. Supposedly, your body sets a weight point it decides to maintain so if you lost weight by eating 25% less, you'd have to continue eating 25% less forever to keep it off. Your body will try it's hardest to get back to what it thinks is your correct weight.
I do find this works for me in general (eating less)... and adding in the exercise definitely helps that along.
Unlike 30+ years ago when governments would publish a food guide on what every human being in their country/nation must eat to be healthy, and most would trust it as gospel, I'm a proponent of knowing oneself and pivoting lifestyle habits to avoid weight gain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.