Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you not gain weight while traveling?

How do you not gain weight while traveling?

Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You just need to be more disciplined. Easier said than done I know, and maybe you're staying in hotels without gyms or whatever who knows. But start by maybe just ordering smaller portions, avoid carbs to an extent, monitor the calories if that works for you.

Another great method, intermittent fasting. I find it quite easy to incorporate that into my schedule. The more consistent you can be with IF the easier it becomes. Even if you're not looking to LOSE weight, it's just a good way to not go over a calorie limit you may or may not set for yourself. Instead of having 3 meals in a day, go down to 2 and magically your calorie count has dropped a bunch. Getting down to 1 meal a day isnt necessarily difficult if you gradually shorten your IF eating window. The problem is the intake, it's easy to fall into a pit of eating a GIANT meal knowing it's your only one. But again, with practice, your appetite will come down a bit and then crushing that huge meal becomes undesirable.

The hardest time for me to IF is when I'm switching time zones and don't have a schedule. When I'm working a relatively set day, or if I've got a whole day off, then it's easy. But if you're flying, especially in economy, they kinda bring food around and you know if you don't eat then, you might not get to for a while. Then you get to a destination and you kinda gotta reset, but same as your body clock, the body food clock (at least for me) can be forced into that reset. Just stay awake until an appropriate time, and eat with your regular window.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
When travelling, you can't typically rely on portion sizes, routines or other people's consumption to guide you, so you need to be a bit more disciplined.

The biggest things I need to avoid are eating out every day and drinking during the week. I've been increasingly spending time in AirBnBs instead of hotels and making me own food, or at least making sure I stay in hotels where there are healthy options with known calories that I can choose from.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
adjust your mealtimes to be inflight when you fly
Duke787 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I would make sure to fly home once a week (helps with status) and do high intensity training religiously when home (5-10km trail running with 50 chinups and +500M of elevation change).

Travel from say Monday afternoon to Friday or Saturday. Workout properly at least twice and do laundry over the weekend, rinse and repeat. I drink and eat out and work long hours when on the road. I'm trying to work 100 pushups everyday in as well.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malgudi
Where are you traveling to with all the restrictions in place? 130 nights so far??? Wow, that's nearly half the year so far.
113 nights on IHG and 22 with Hilton so far. So yeah. I had a mild slow down in April but after that picked back up. Yeah it’s quite a bit so far.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice! More discipline is what it seems. Not given a per diem so I can not profit off of it. But anything I do get I can expense; allowed to expense $100 a day for food. But I am told if I go over that it doesn’t matter.

I never come close to that at all; and I do limit booze. I will try and start to walk more once I do get back to hotels or workout if the hotel gyms are open. Will work on more salads or skipping meals. Good advice all around though.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Athena53
If I was near a good grocery store I'd pick up something from there- one place I used a lot was near a Whole Foods store and I would use their hot foods/salad bar for dinner if I had no plans..
I don't have a Whole Foods nearby to easily pop into, but was in Denver this week and there was one just two blocks from my hotel, so went to check out options for dinner to bring back to my room. Impressed that they had a counter where you could get chicken ($10) or salmon ($12), along with two sides, to-go, and thought that was much healthier than going out for a burger somewhere else. Found Whole Foods to-go a much better use of my time and would readily look at that option again depending where they are located in relation to my hotel.

Didn't hurt that I walked over 7 miles a day each of my two full days there.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Thank you everyone for the advice! More discipline is what it seems. Not given a per diem so I can not profit off of it. But anything I do get I can expense; allowed to expense $100 a day for food. But I am told if I go over that it doesn’t matter.

I never come close to that at all; and I do limit booze. I will try and start to walk more once I do get back to hotels or workout if the hotel gyms are open. Will work on more salads or skipping meals. Good advice all around though.
Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
a good idea, except that a lot of stairwells end in emergency exit doors with alarms
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
a good idea, except that a lot of stairwells end in emergency exit doors with alarms
I've hit a few like that, but it's been a rare exception. At some hotels you have to exit the stairway that goes to the upper floor on the second or a mezzanine floor, then take a different staircase down to the lobby level.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
the PITA is discovering that at oh-dark-thirty when you're rushing to the bus or the Metro or your car
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
the PITA is discovering that at oh-dark-thirty when you're rushing to the bus or the Metro or your car
Yeah, that would suck. I made it a habit from day one, though I would occasionally forget. Oh-dark-thirty being a likely time for a minor detail like that to slip my mind.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:34 pm

"a good idea, except that a lot of stairwells end in emergency exit doors with alarms"

One of the peculiar customs of American hotels. We have an obesity epidemic but we risk tripping the emergency alarm
when we want to walk up just one flight of stairs. And the stairways themselves are dark and scary.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

< OMNI alert >
it’s not so much “what we want” as it is “because we can’t” ... excessively risk-averse attitudes with respect to pretty much ANYTHING, and the extreme likelihood that anything leading to a disruption of normal expectations will result in a lawsuit ... I’m specifically thinking about safety and security issues; the owner (or franchisee or operator) certainly doesn’t want to be sued by a guest who suffered a break-in (or worse) because the perpetrator was able to gain access through an exterior door that wasn’t visible from the front desk
< /ALERT >
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Not given a per diem so I can not profit off of it.
Consider joining Rewards Network. I'm presently earning 8 Hilton Honors points per dollar spent at participating restaurants, for example. There are many other ways to earn points or miles through RN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.