Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 'Buy Your Own Row' Trend

Old Aug 9, 20, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

So far, I've seen Alaska and Spice Jet offer a scheme to allow passengers to buy an entire row of seats on certain flights. Beats just wearing a mask...

Would any of you go for a deal like this?

Link related:
https://twitter.com/flyspicejet/status/1291027756818378753?s=20
Old Aug 9, 20, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
You buy the row and the people in the row behind you are 30" from your head. Coughing.

Wearing a mask seems easier.
Old Aug 9, 20, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking how ridiculous it seemed too. What I think might be interesting though, is if, in buying a row, you have a right to invite a third person, most likely, a member of your own household, to take the middle seat. Obviously the onus is on the travelling group to prove their affiliation, but if they do, that's a win for both the passengers, and the airline.

It's a better idea than what AA and the EU airlines are currently doing, at least.

edit - Obviously, I'm not advocating doing any of this in place of mandatory masks.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Aug 9, 20, 10:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since the Travel News forum is for the linking to and discussion of published general travel news stories, I am going to send this to Travel Buzz since it seems to fit better there.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
dynamiteReady likes this.
Old Aug 10, 20, 3:25 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
An entire row *in addition to* a mask, not *in lieu of*.

I say why not to the idea of letting passengers buy extra seats - customers of size have done it (or had mechanisms to do it) for a long time.
ajGoes, Duke787 and lhrsfo like this.
Old Aug 10, 20, 7:22 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by dynamiteReady View Post
So far, I've seen Alaska and Spice Jet offer a scheme to allow passengers to buy an entire row of seats on certain flights. Beats just wearing a mask...

Would any of you go for a deal like this?

Link related:
https://twitter.com/flyspicejet/stat...818378753?s=20
Yes, I would go for it, and I have on NZ, but it's nothing to do with COVID.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't be surprised if you see an uptick in J/F travel for those who can afford it. I know personally, I'll be more willing to pay for J/F when traveling with my wife post-COVID if it means just the two of us in the row. Especially if I can get the last row in F on planes with a solid bulkhead between Y and F.

For international, post-COVID will be similarly inclined to look at J seats (in 1-2-1 if traveling solo or 2-2-2 being acceptable if traveling with my wife) even for shorter TATL flights where I previously opted to save my money or miles, especially on work trips when the Y flights are being paid for and I didn't have to go straight to work upon landing.
Old Aug 10, 20, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Yes, I would go for it, and I have on NZ, but it's nothing to do with COVID.
Exactly. On a long domestic flight without lie flats up front I'd definitely consider it.
Old Aug 12, 20, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I assume the concept is that two people would buy three seats on a flight where otherwise the middle seat could be filled. In that case, sure...there's some modest premium I'd be willing to pay for it. Exactly how much depends on the airline, my estimation of the probability the flight will be full, how long the flight is, whether my wife and I would otherwise be able to confirm two aisle seats, and probably other factors.

Purely a comfort thing...nothing to do with covid. Either way I'd still wear a mask in the current environment.
darthbimmer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 20, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post

Purely a comfort thing...nothing to do with covid. Either way I'd still wear a mask in the current environment.
For me, on a short flight, it's everything to do with COVID and nothing to do with comfort. If I'm travelling with Mrs LHRSFO, then we'll take the window and middle and leave the aisle empty. If I'm solo, I'd simply ensure the middle is empty. Wearing a mask doesn't protect me at all (masks only protect others, not the wearer) but being physically distanced, even if not by as much as I would like, does protect me. Not having to rub shoulders with a stranger protects me considerably.

I simply won't travel if there's even a chance that I have to sit next to a stranger.
channonc likes this.
Old Aug 22, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I could absolutely see people doing this. Maybe someone with money wants a window seat without people around them. Maybe a couple of people would enjoy the row to themselves. Who knows. I mean, I wouldn't buy it. However, you can sell a lot of people a lot of things.
Old Aug 23, 20, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Might be just as cheap/expensive to select an F seat on DL. The seat adjacent to you is automatically blocked and isn't sold by Delta. That, plus additional seat pitch, provides a bit better margin of social distancing.
Old Aug 27, 20, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Might be just as cheap/expensive to select an F seat on DL. The seat adjacent to you is automatically blocked and isn't sold by Delta. That, plus additional seat pitch, provides a bit better margin of social distancing.
DL only flies to the USA so not really relevant for most people. Plus, normally it's far cheaper to buy two economy tickets than one Business Class ticket.
Old Sep 29, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA *G, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I know my employer will not pay for it.....
Old Sep 30, 20, 7:10 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
That's my plan when my son, daughter-in-law and I agree that it's lower-risk to take my granddaughters to Chicago, likely not before Spring. It had been planned for May of this year. Didn't happen, of course. They're 3 and 6 and the flight is a one-hour between DSM and ORD in little planes configured 2-2. They way they each get a window seat and there's no stranger in one of the aisle seats. We'll all wear masks. I just hope AA doesn't mess up and put is in different rows.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: