Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reaching an actual Rental Car Location

Old Aug 4, 20, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I am looking at purchasing a car (BMW). But I am not sure I could live with it - so I want to spend a couple of days with one before I decide.

I know some locations of various car rental companies have them in stock, others do not. I am trying to find out if my particular location does. However, I have had absolutely 0% luck actually reaching the local office - they all want to go back to their main line reservation number, which of course can't tell me anything and want to make no effort to find out.

So how do you reach the local office? I am not going to rent a car if it is not what I want, so I don't want to make a reservation and hope.
Old Aug 5, 20, 2:13 am

Make a reservation, the confirmation usually gives you a local contact number, phone them and ask about Beemer availability that day? Don’t know if that would work but perhaps worth a try
Old Aug 5, 20, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Problem is that now even the local number rings back to the central line.
Old Aug 5, 20, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post

I know some locations of various car rental companies have them in stock, others do not. I am trying to find out if my particular location does.
Since you can't reach this particular location by phone, have you tried visiting in person and asking the staff if they ever get this car in stock, and if so could they call you when one comes in? Sometimes all that's needed is the personal touch.
Old Aug 5, 20, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Hour and a half drive. Not worth it.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I have found that some car dealerships will let you try out a car for a couple days or more. Dealerships are hungry for new car sales now, I would call and ask around.
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
E-mail?
Old Aug 5, 20, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Do you have any/many car sharing services in your area? (I know I've seen BMWs available for hire from Zipcar in the Boston-area.)
Old Aug 5, 20, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Have you checked Turo? You can choose the specific car you want to rent, and make arrangements with the owner to pick it up.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I tried Turo, but nothing of the types I want in the area. I live well west of Boston (Worcester) so we are a little late to game.

Things are starting to tighten up around here anyways, so may be a good idea to hold off.
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I tried Turo, but nothing of the types I want in the area. I live well west of Boston (Worcester) so we are a little late to game.

Things are starting to tighten up around here anyways, so may be a good idea to hold off.
The Hertz car sales website allows you to input your zip code and then limit the search area by a specific number of miles. For example, I found 11 BMWs available for sale by Hertz within 50 miles of Worchester. You can then select that particular car to rent for three days. Np need to contact the local location ahead of time.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks - that is most useful! I never knew they had that option.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: