Community
Wiki Posts
Search

very strange event -- Con game?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by mozilla
About the "scam" aspect, that's very debatable. You could've contacted the airline directly to provide a service free of charge, however, you voluntarily (no one forced you, no one) contacted a middleman to do this for you. They disclosed the fee to assist you beforehand, you agreed to the terms, gave your credit card number, they delivered said service, and they charged the agreed price. You most likely saved valuable time by not having to wait in the airline phone queue, and that could be a lot of time nowadays. So how exactly did they scam you?

Based on other reports on FT, it also appears that these companies don't impersonate any of the airlines. .
you must be a defense attorney. Great spin. Just check out the screen grab above - the phone number is right below "American Airlines". It is the same # the OP dialed. This is as scammy as it gets. Case closed.

Edit: I just called the number, they answered "Reservations desk" I asked if this was American Airlines and the man said "yes". That right there is fraud.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Aug 4, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
It's a scam:

Based on the layout and grammar,sounds like the same gang the tells you a relative left you $500 million. To the "defense lawyer" - yes technically maybe they did not break the law but they sure are skirting the edges. They are sleaze and there should be some way to put them out of business.
The link mentioned is gone
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ente_09
To the "defense lawyer" - yes technically maybe they did not break the law but they sure are skirting the edges. They are sleaze and there should be some way to put them out of business.
You're barking up the wrong tree. It's Google that is at fault for enabling this practice and knowingly giving out wrong phone numbers to people who use their search engine while raking in the money. It's not as if Google needed the business of that company. However, that company needs Google, so when Google stops enabling this, they will get out of business, and we both get what we want.

It's beyond me how people are so willing to give big tech a pass on everything while vehemently going after the purposed wrongdoings of a much smaller business that made a legal verbal contract with OP and delivered the services agreed.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You're barking up the wrong tree. It's Google that is at fault for enabling this practice and knowingly giving out wrong phone numbers to people who use their search engine while raking in the money. It's not as if Google needed the business of that company. However, that company needs Google, so when Google stops enabling this, they will get out of business, and we both get what we want.

It's beyond me how people are so willing to give big tech a pass on everything while vehemently going after the purposed wrongdoings of a much smaller business that made a legal verbal contract with OP and delivered the services agreed.
Google may or may not share some of the blame, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that the real bad guy here is the one employing very sharp practice at least.

I guess the problem for Google (aside from revenue), is in defining the issue sufficiently clearly that it captures all the sharp practice, but doesn’t knock out new start ups who are offering a value-added service. It’s unlikely to always be this clear cut.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I guess the problem for Google (aside from revenue), is in defining the issue sufficiently clearly that it captures all the sharp practice, but doesn’t knock out new start ups who are offering a value-added service. It’s unlikely to always be this clear cut.
The window for the ignorance argument has long expired for Google. As I said in my first post: this is not the first report on FT, nor will it be the last. By now, they could have stopped this kind of abuse of their platform, if they wanted to.

They're allowing it simply because they get away with it, as has been demonstrated in this topic. The mobs always turn to the company that advertises, while the company that knowingly enabled said advertisement and made a profit from it - inevitably in the form of a cut of the money that has been "scammed" - goes free. Yet both were equally indispensable for the "scam" to succeed.

Going after the company that operated the call center won't solve anything. What will happen at most is that this company disappears and another company pops up to take its place. And once again Google will happily enable people to be "scammed" while it eagerly rakes in its cut. The answer clearly lies with Google.

Last edited by mozilla; Aug 5, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The window for the ignorance argument has long expired for Google. As I said in my first post: this is not the first report on FT, nor will it be the last. By now, they could have stopped this kind of abuse of their platform, if they wanted to.

They're allowing it simply because they get away with it, as has been demonstrated in this topic. The mobs always turn to the company that advertises, while the company that knowingly enabled said advertisement and made a profit from it - inevitably in the form of a cut of the money that has been "scammed" - goes free. Yet both were equally indispensable for the "scam" to succeed.

Going after the company that operated the call center won't solve anything. What will happen at most is that this company disappears and another company pops up to take its place. And once again Google will happily enable people to be "scammed" while it eagerly rakes in its cut. The answer clearly lies with Google.
I don’t think anyone is saying that Google can plead ignorance - I certainly didn’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.