Community
Wiki Posts
Search

wearing mask 11 hr flight has anyone done it

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

wearing mask 11 hr flight has anyone done it

i would like to know if on plane is any different than wearing mask outside or in store because less oxygen in plane system i have herd thanks in advance
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I have been wearing N95 painter's masks purchased at Home Depot or Lowes on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights since the 1990s. I put on the mask once I get seated, and once we are in the air and I put the seat flat, I am asleep. I awaken on the descent, and the mask keeps my throat and nose from drying out or becoming sore.

Today's pandemic notwithstanding, I recommend masks just for increased respiratory comfort on the aircraft.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Has anyone done it?

Yes, and thousands of people are doing it as we speak.

By "less oxygen", I assume you're referring to the fact that the cabin pressurization is similar to what you'd experience at 6000-8000 feet altitude. So I guess it's similar to wearing a mask in Vail, which people certainly do.
ajGoes and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
A friend just returned from a 16 hours flight .. he thinks it seems the “ same “ as in other flights before having masks on .

Rather low loads , but tricky when full . One has to be creative .
Possibly have PE & Y to oneself , on certain airlines , while business will be ‘ crowded ‘ .
Certain routes will be at about capacity as reduced number of flights
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve done it three time in the last six days and live to tell the story.
writerguyfl and the phoenix like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’ve done it three time in the last six days and live to tell the story.
No meal services?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Taikucing
No meal services?
I believe most airlines are serving *some* food on long-haul international. The emails I've gotten about reduced service suggest that...although it's not 100% clear what the changes are.

The emails I've gotten generally say something like "please put your mask on after you finish eating or drinking."

Last edited by pinniped; Jul 23, 2020 at 7:35 am
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
I have been wearing N95 painter's masks purchased at Home Depot or Lowes on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights since the 1990s. I put on the mask once I get seated, and once we are in the air and I put the seat flat, I am asleep. I awaken on the descent, and the mask keeps my throat and nose from drying out or becoming sore.

Today's pandemic notwithstanding, I recommend masks just for increased respiratory comfort on the aircraft.
Are you wearing the industrial version which does not filter when exhaling? Painter's mask typically filter only when inhaling.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ction-use-only
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Taikucing
No meal services?
Yes, but nothing to write home about...
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by TGarza
Are you wearing the industrial version which does not filter when exhaling? Painter's mask typically filter only when inhaling.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ction-use-only
Yes, the ones I usually bought were for wood-working. They have a double strap and stay put while I sleep. I haven't been traveling since the pandemic, so these may not really be suitable for preventing viral spread.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Yes, the ones I usually bought were for wood-working. They have a double strap and stay put while I sleep. I haven't been traveling since the pandemic, so these may not really be suitable for preventing viral spread.
You are correct. Those masks actually do not filter exhaled droplets and spread them over a wider area than not wearing a mask. I wear that type of mask in my shop for my woodworking projects.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You are not going to have any issues with oxygen unless you are near death at ground level under normal circumstances. That’s just made up nonsense from people who would rather your friends and family die than take precautions. The only issue with wearing a mask for that long is that quite a few types will start hurting your ears. I preferred to have a couple of different types to cycle between (or ideally get one that doesn’t strain the ears).
Redhead likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You are not going to have any issues with oxygen unless you are near death at ground level under normal circumstances. That’s just made up nonsense from people who would rather your friends and family die than take precautions. The only issue with wearing a mask for that long is that quite a few types will start hurting your ears. I preferred to have a couple of different types to cycle between (or ideally get one that doesn’t strain the ears).
Well to be fair, a lot of people don't breathe very well in the first place. Let alone having cloth wrapped around their mouth.

Personally, while not exerting yourself, it's not so bad. I also find the disposable ones to be the most comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.