Wiki Posts
Search

Taking our car with us to Europe for 3 months

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
These days the automatics get better mileage than the manuals. No real practical reason to go with a stick like there used to be.
Not just better fuel economy but, I've heard, better acceleration times especially with ATs that have 7, 8, 9 or even 10 speed. You can't manually shift as fast.

The better fuel economy comes with ATs that don't have torque converters (heavy, liquid filled, viscous, slipping clutches, essentially which were/still are dreadfully inefficient), and multispeeds (more than 5-6) which allows the engine to stay within optimal operating speed.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not just better fuel economy but, I've heard, better acceleration times especially with ATs that have 7, 8, 9 or even 10 speed. You can't manually shift as fast.

The better fuel economy comes with ATs that don't have torque converters (heavy, liquid filled, viscous, slipping clutches, essentially which were/still are dreadfully inefficient), and multispeeds (more than 5-6) which allows the engine to stay within optimal operating speed.
Except in rush hour city traffic, some of us simply find them more fun to drive. And if the intention is mountain driving, they are safer since you can engine brake instead of depending entirely on the wheel brakes. If you don't believe it, drive down Mt Washington (NH) in an automatic. Just plan on a brake job afterwards.
BearX220 and tentseller like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Except in rush hour city traffic, some of us simply find them more fun to drive.
No doubt, and more connected to actually driving (hopefully).

And if the intention is mountain driving, they are safer since you can engine brake instead of depending entirely on the wheel brakes.
One can use transmission braking on ATs though it doesn't seem as fluid as with a MT. I don't own a car with a true multi-speed (>3 real gears) AT so never got to try the +/` manual shifting enough in a newer, multispeed AT to see how it compares.

I've always done that (works better in big V-8s than in small displacement engines, I've noticed). Of course the gear ratio gaps in some ATs with few gears results in the engine being revved to high speeds, without any throttle input. The current (or recently-previous) generation of Ford E-series truck/van chassis (commonly used for U-Hauls moving van and Class C RVs) have an engine-braking feature, but all you have to do is step firmly on the brake once to engage instead of using the gear shift.

If you don't believe it, drive down Mt Washington (NH) in an automatic. Just plan on a brake job afterwards.
NV 431 (Mt Rose Highway) Reno-ish to Lake Tahoe on the Tahoe side is even better. One got used (or didn't) to the smell of burning brake pads. Most AT drivers don't know how to gear down.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
No doubt, and more connected to actually driving (hopefully).

One can use transmission braking on ATs though it doesn't seem as fluid as with a MT. I don't own a car with a true multi-speed (>3 real gears) AT so never got to try the +/` manual shifting enough in a newer, multispeed AT to see how it compares.

I've always done that (works better in big V-8s than in small displacement engines, I've noticed). Of course the gear ratio gaps in some ATs with few gears results in the engine being revved to high speeds, without any throttle input. The current (or recently-previous) generation of Ford E-series truck/van chassis (commonly used for U-Hauls moving van and Class C RVs) have an engine-braking feature, but all you have to do is step firmly on the brake once to engage instead of using the gear shift.

NV 431 (Mt Rose Highway) Reno-ish to Lake Tahoe on the Tahoe side is even better. One got used (or didn't) to the smell of burning brake pads. Most AT drivers don't know how to gear down.
I'm glad to see that engineers and designers have addressed engine braking. Being a confirmed shifter-fan, I haven't really attended to AT technology, except for CVT with paddles. But I haven't driven one yet. I'm thinking I'll test one out for my next car.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.