Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Extended Stay Hotels - Experiences? Advice?

Extended Stay Hotels - Experiences? Advice?

Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yah ... my stay there was actually in Aug-Nov 2000, and as I recall the surge in development along the Orange Line corridor (Clarendon Blvd and Wilson Blvd, Rosslyn/Court House/Clarendon/Ballston metro stations) was just taking off around that time

my office moved around a lot (Rosslyn/Pentagon/Crystal City/Clarendon/Ballston/Braddock Rd), but I'd have to say your observation on the demographics of the area is still largely accurate
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
One really need to do the math on various possibilities of extended short term stay.

We met a couple on our cruise who lived in Vancouver Canada and was between house/condo during empty nest transition and the condo renovations.
They booked back to back to back cruises on the same ship in the same suite for 118 days; the price worked out to be less than $200Cdn per day all in.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
watch out also for hotels that have been renting rooms (at very very deep discounts) to the local displaced and homeless population.
What is the problem here?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
One really need to do the math on various possibilities of extended short term stay.

We met a couple on our cruise who lived in Vancouver Canada and was between house/condo during empty nest transition and the condo renovations.
They booked back to back to back cruises on the same ship in the same suite for 118 days; the price worked out to be less than $200Cdn per day all in.
118 days on a cruise ship only ends one of two ways: you get sick as a dog or you come home with the most bulletproof immune system known to man!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
What is the problem here?
For a long stay, one might evaluate it almost like you do an apartment rental. In that case, the clientele and culture of the building is always a factor whether you want to admit it or not. You might, for example, walk away from an otherwise acceptable apartment in a building with a huge "party" vibe. (Conversely, you may want that. ) In an extended stay, I've typically chosen brands that I anticipated to have similar clientele to me - in some cases most people there are even visiting the same companies I am.

So I think it's fair game to try to figure out the vibe of the property before you book. We're all already doing it subconsciously with our hotel brand and location choices anyway...but in these strange times it might require a little more research.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by tentseller

OMG that's awesome and honestly inspires me. It isn't something I could do (working and have a dog) during renovation, but what a great idea.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by pinniped
118 days on a cruise ship only ends one of two ways: you get sick as a dog or you come home with the most bulletproof immune system known to man!
The world was a bit more normal back then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.