Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refunds are promised but none are showing up!

Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Like most Flyertalkers, I'm stuck with a bunch of airline 'vouchers' that they are making hard to use.

But also so far, I've been lucky to cancel at least three prepaid reservations where I have been promised a refund. These are with American Airlines, Hyatt, and Marriott. Promises are nice but the actual money would be a whole lot nicer! Seems like most all travel companies are trying to survive by stalling payments.

Are other folks having similar problems? If so, any thoughts about what to do about it? Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
ANA refund (booked direct with airline): processed and refunded quickly
Jeju Air refund (also direct booked): refunded after 2-3 weeks
Qantas refund (booked through CheapoAir): Still waiting but they promised me it is coming (been almost a month)
China Airlines (direct booking): cancelled on 4-17, refunded to c/card on 4-20.

Last edited by etch5895; Apr 21, 2020 at 12:17 am Reason: Update CI refund
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Choice Hotels, $1800 prepaid group res cancelled this week, refund promised but no joy yet.
AA, BE res for March cancelled, no refund, voucher only.
Southwest, res for June cancelled, they will allow me to convert the resulting travel wallet credit to RR points for use down the road.
JetBlue, June res with TB points, they still want to charge a $75 redeposit fee for cancelling trips after May 31, I'm waiting to see if they push out the grace period.
AS, future trips booked with a total of +/- 400k AS miles that I have to cancel this weekend. Hope there will be no issues with fee-free redeposits.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:31 pm

I booked 2 rooms at a Hilton Garden Inn back in early December through Agoda.com. Both rooms were non-refundable. My stay was supposed to be mid-May. I requested a refund through Agoda on the 6th and my refund came through today. I have always had great experiences with Agoda and this was just another reason I will continue to use them.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Did you fill out the form to get the AA refund? I called to cancel my flight then had to request my money back at:https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...nd-refunds.jsp
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:40 pm

4 klm bookings at a value of $5000, have promise of refunds by email. Just waiting.

2 easy jet flights, asked for refunds but need to call them.

1 Brussels airline flights, waiting for refund.

1 Czech airline flight, no idea what to do with that.

Then a couple of hotels in Scotland worth $1000 that I cannot use, but as yet are not cancelled.

All told $10,000 if I can get it back.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are hundreds of threads on the same topic.

Bottom line is that if you get past the issue of whether the vendor will refund and are promised one and it just does not show up, file a chargeback. Don't waste your time making multiple calls and sitting on hold. Just file the chargeback, noting that the vendor has promised the refund and failed to make good on it.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Did you fill out the form to get the AA refund? I called to cancel my flight then had to request my money back at:https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...nd-refunds.jsp
I spoke to someone on the phone. Refund from AA arrived yesterday. Still waiting on Marriott and Hyatt.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I spoke to someone on the phone. Refund from AA arrived yesterday. Still waiting on Marriott and Hyatt.
Good deal. I did the phone cancel on AA. I didn't get the refund-they then told me I had to complete the form. Got the $ in two days.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What is always important -> getting the refund promise in writing; this fascilates a creditcard chargeback;
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
big yay. Glad you got something. Hope it works with the hotels.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
[QUOTE=RichardInSF;32303650]Like most Flyertalkers, I'm stuck with a bunch of airline 'vouchers' that they are making hard to use.

But also so far, I've been lucky to cancel at least three prepaid reservations where I have been promised a refund. These are with American Airlines, Hyatt, and Marriott. Promises are nice but the actual money would be a whole lot nicer! Seems like most all travel companies are trying to survive by stalling payments.

Are other folks having similar problems? If so, any thoughts about what to do about it? Thanks![/Qcompanies

Most companies are prob.not stalling they would be working their ... off dealing with all the changes, cancellations and refunds. Probably have more work to do than ever before
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:43 pm

Westin: nonrefundable booking in late Feb in Jpn - no cigar
EVA (via Expedia): cancellable with $200 penalty - refund processed to OMP within a week, including seat assignment fees
AS#1: they rerouted me 2d before flight even though I knew 2wks prior that my flight wasn’t going to operate; I called to cancel; refund processed to OMP within a week, including seat upgrade fees
DL: they rerouted me more than a month in advance; I called to cancel; refund processed to OMP within a week, including seat assignment fees
AS#2: when I called about AS#1 and mentioned my second trip coming up with them, the rep was cool and gave me refund; refund processed to OMP within a week, including seat assignment fees.
Jpn hotel chain: nonrefundable booking for Olympics; I begged for refund and they gave it to me (took 2 wks to appear)

Still gotta work on >5 more airline bookings. But so far so good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.