Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ban resort fees as a condition of bailout $$ for hotels?

Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

Since "resort fees" are a nearly unique feature of US hotels, banning them as a condition of bailout money for hotels could eradicate this fiscal virus.
Spiff, ijkh, pinniped and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances that Treasury would condition any grant, loan or other form of support on eliminating a revenue source hovers at zero only because statisticians maintain that there can't be less than a 0% probability.

Much, much, much more likely that free upgrades, lounge access and anything not revenue-based goes away when large corporate customers figure out that it can all be negotiated away for better rates.

Don't for a minute believe that this is going to improve the creature comforts for travelers. May preserve their jobs, but it might not be the "luxury" they've been used to.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is not a Hilton-specific topic, will move to Travel Buzz

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
jalves likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:18 pm

Similar calls are being made for airline bailouts, where people want to extract some customer concession. In this specific case, I do think that it the subject of a "resort" fee could be worthwhile for the government to consider. Unlike a fee for baggage or pre-assigned seats, a fee that applies to everyone who purchases a ticket/room should simply be bundled into the published price. The problem with resort fees is not that they are charged, but that they are hidden. Truth in advertising should require that any "separate" charge that is applied to every delivered product should be included in the price of the product when an e-commerce site is used to display the price, or when prices are quoted by the vendor.

Tying this to the bailout might be reasonable, but doing it as a standalone regulation for ANY/ALL products makes sense to me.
Spiff, ijkh, MEL-World and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
Similar calls are being made for airline bailouts, where people want to extract some customer concession. In this specific case, I do think that it the subject of a "resort" fee could be worthwhile for the government to consider. Unlike a fee for baggage or pre-assigned seats, a fee that applies to everyone who purchases a ticket/room should simply be bundled into the published price. The problem with resort fees is not that they are charged, but that they are hidden. Truth in advertising should require that any "separate" charge that is applied to every delivered product should be included in the price of the product when an e-commerce site is used to display the price, or when prices are quoted by the vendor.

Tying this to the bailout might be reasonable, but doing it as a standalone regulation for ANY/ALL products makes sense to me.
I'm afraid your idea makes too much sense, although I would hate to see it implemented. I can just see it now..... want an airline ticket, here's an extra $25 charge. Want a gallon of milk, here's an extra $2 charge.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm afraid your idea makes too much sense, although I would hate to see it implemented. I can just see it now..... want an airline ticket, here's an extra $25 charge. Want a gallon of milk, here's an extra $2 charge.
If they have a known additive charge for my $200 room, such that it is $235... display that on the first (shopping) page. If there is a YQ/YR charge of $275 on top of my 50K frequent flyer points, show me now. Nothing to prevent a company from deciding how to price, just force them to make the price clear.
Spiff, DFW_Airwolf, Gig103 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I can't see any relation between resort fees and a potential government bailout.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jalves
I can't see any relation between resort fees and a potential government bailout.
If government is providing loans (or straight up cash infusion), then the government (ie the people of the USA) could require stipulations to the money. Like no resort fees.
Spiff, mkt and crfgon like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:41 pm

Well, maybe they can ask the hotels "....to do us a favor though"
FXWizard likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

CARES Act is already signed into law.

The conditions for loans, grants & stock purchases have to relate to the financial health of the business. These don't. So, forget it and move on.
jalves and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:23 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Force the major hoteliers to include it in their franchise agreements, as IME most resort fees are created by the individual property's owner/manager and not by the brand whose flag flies there.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkt
Force the major hoteliers to include it in their franchise agreements, as IME most resort fees are created by the individual property's owner/manager and not by the brand whose flag flies there.
By what authority?
jalves likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:45 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
By what authority?
As part of the agreement they make to accept public funds.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Resort fees are deceptive advertising and should be banned for all hotels. Making this a condition of the bailout would send the message that deceptive advertising is acceptable as long as you are not accepting government support.
Spiff, drphun and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Why is it such that horse trading is needed? Why can't the U.S. Congress just pass laws that benefit their citizens that might hurt share prices briefly?
crfgon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.