Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Going for a drive, since we can't fly...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AARP

WE ARE PLANNING A CROSS COUNTRY TRIP JUST TO SEE THE SIGHTS. KINDA HARD TO DO FROM 35,000 FEET UP. Yes, it would be cheaper to fly, but that isn't the point. You can't rent a car and see Boston and Niagra Falls in the same trip, if you fly.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
westbound from BOS, you’ll often see Niagara Falls on a clear day ... it’s impressive even from seven miles up
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by halby58
WE ARE PLANNING A CROSS COUNTRY TRIP JUST TO SEE THE SIGHTS. KINDA HARD TO DO FROM 35,000 FEET UP. Yes, it would be cheaper to fly, but that isn't the point. You can't rent a car and see Boston and Niagra Falls in the same trip, if you fly.
You really can't get a good view of the falls in the same trip now, even with a car. Border is closed-ish. Even with United Statesians allowed, not the best idea. You can also plan on shelter in place orders popping up in many places, and possibly nationally, with hotels closed in many places and no food available other than take out.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Spreading COVID-19 from town to town in hotels and restaurants as you go...
Redhead, farci, ajGoes and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At least with a car, you’re not restricted to the changing/disappearing mass transit service options and should be able to drive home unless there is a lockdown preventing that. But even if managing to avoid lockdowns of various sorts, don’t be surprised to find lots of hotels closed down and food service en route a different world than usual, inside entertainment/recreation venues closed down and so on. And don’t be surprised to encounter social pressure for not staying at home and avoiding non-essential travel .... especially if/when others find out about it.

I would advise against making any firm travel plans for quite some weeks and then some. Even if it’s a road trip. There is a lot of uncertainty about what comes next, so I would suggest revising your plans by postponing them for now.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:09 am

Keep in mind that some rest stops are closing as well.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STVA
Keep in mind that some rest stops are closing as well.
"Officer, when I came back to my car, the windows were all smashed and the toilet paper was gone!"
KRSW and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:56 am
Community Director Emerita

A lot of hotels are closing. Restaurants are closed in many areas. Museums are closed.
KRSW, ajGoes and FLTripper like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:32 am

I completely understand the desire to travel. As a country we are being asked to do something quite different. We are being asked to stay home and help slow this pandemic. It works if we all do our part. Dream of a road trip, plan a road trip, but don’t take a road trip at this time.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Instead of being selfish and irresponsible, perhaps it would be best to stay home.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pt flyer
I completely understand the desire to travel. As a country we are being asked to do something quite different. We are being asked to stay home and help slow this pandemic. It works if we all do our part. Dream of a road trip, plan a road trip, but don’t take a road trip at this time.
Maybe this thread would get more traction if it was moved to the USA forum? Usually all country-specific threads get moved to the respective forum.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Maybe this thread would get more traction if it was moved to the USA forum? Usually all country-specific threads get moved to the respective forum.
Does it need traction? Personally, I think the people that have already responded provided all the feedback necessary to the OP.

To me, this is the perfect response to anyone experiencing wanderlust:

Originally Posted by pt flyer
ajGoes, Redhead, Eastbay1K and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
A friend who had to drive to another state to deal with a family emergency told me their biggest issue was there was nothing that had bathrooms open, even rest stops.... So, if you do decide to drive somewhere, be aware...
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair to OP, they didn't specify when they planned to travel. Could be next year.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
To be fair to OP, they didn't specify when they planned to travel. Could be next year.
I would have thought you are correct, but for the title "since we can't fly." Had it been for health restrictions on flying, we'd probably have learned of that in the OP.
gfunkdave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.