Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happens when airlines declare bankruptcy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when airlines declare bankruptcy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Jerome10
I'm actually a bit concerned not only about FF miles, but how will this work if all these airlines are issuing credits to your account right now for future travel?

Sounds like in the past most of your mileage deposits have survived (who knows if that will happen in this weird time)....but what about trips you can't take with money sitting as a credit in your account? I have to imagine that type of thing would get lost during bankruptcy, no?
The "Good news" is that these are possibly a high priority in the bankruptcy liquidation scheme. (See 11 U.S.C. §507(a) (7) Seventh, allowed unsecured claims of individuals, to the extent of $1,800  for each such individual, arising from the deposit, before the commencement of the case, of money in connection with the purchase, lease, or rental of property, or the purchase of services, for the personal, family, or household use of such individuals, that were not delivered or provided.

The "Other news" is that there is no realistic way in any liquidation scenario that any distribution would get that far. It comes after wages and employee benefit plans, and after all administrative expenses in the case (which includes all the unpaid expenses during any Chapter 11 that may end up converted to a 7 liquidation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.