Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which are the airlines most likely to go under in the coming 3 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which are the airlines most likely to go under in the coming 3 months?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...035548868.html

Btw, I wonder if one could rely on credit card company to reimburse you in case the airline goes under and you can't get your money back from them.
Unfortunately I've got bookings with 3 of the airlines in this article in June and July.
You can if you’re in the U.K.- section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes the credit card company jointly and severally liable along with the merchant in case of breach of contract.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
You can if you’re in the U.K.- section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes the credit card company jointly and severally liable along with the merchant in case of breach of contract.
Thanks.
I live in USA, my cards are USA-issued, but some of the itineraries (one-way segments) in question originate from Jpn and Taiwan.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Alitalia, Cathay Pacific, LOT Polish, Norwegian, Singapore, some Asian LCCs, 2nd-tier Chinese carriers but some of these won't be allowed to fail for political reasons.
No reason for Singapore Airlines to fail. They are one of the more profitable, are majority owned by the Singapore government which has more than enough assets to fund them for as long as it takes. Singapore's quest to be the hub of South East Asia would also make it near impossible to see the government let SQ fail. Cathay counts its shareholders as Swire, Air China and Qatar, and they have been profitable so I doubt they will fail either. Neither would any of the large Middle-Eastern carriers like Emirates and Qatar as they have government backing.

Some of the 2nd-tier Chinese carriers would most probably be folded into one of the 3 large airline groups like Air China, China Eastern and China Southern. Probably allowed to maintain separate branding etc.

In Asia some of the privately owned carriers like Asiana, Philippines, EVA Air and ANA are probably more at risk.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by quirrow
They are [...] majority owned by the Singapore government which has more than enough assets to fund them for as long as it takes. Singapore's quest to be the hub of South East Asia would also make it near impossible to see the government let SQ fail. Cathay counts its shareholders as Swire, Air China and Qatar, and they have been profitable so I doubt they will fail either. Neither would any of the large Middle-Eastern carriers like Emirates and Qatar as they have government backing.
That's what I had in mind when I wrote:
[...] but some of these won't be allowed to fail for political reasons.
Except, CX's predicament is a bit more precarious. Given the right opportunity, CAAC would be glad to see them fold (little love lost for Swire), and QR will have problems of their own.

And SQ's situation wasn't great even before the outbreak. With the growth of ULH flights and competition from other hubs, SIN's position was already getting difficult to maintain. But I agree they won't be allowed to fail: SQ took a $13bn lifeline from SG gov't (OK, Temasek) just yesterday (so much for their great financial standing). The main SQ brand is there to stay but their LCC business might just have to scoot off.

All this also reminds me I forgot to include Etihad in my list.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Except, CX's predicament is a bit more precarious. Given the right opportunity, CAAC would be glad to see them fold (little love lost for Swire), and QR will have problems of their own.

And SQ's situation wasn't great even before the outbreak. With the growth of ULH flights and competition from other hubs, SIN's position was already getting difficult to maintain. But I agree they won't be allowed to fail: SQ took a $13bn lifeline from SG gov't (OK, Temasek) just yesterday (so much for their great financial standing). The main SQ brand is there to stay but their LCC business might just have to scoot off.

All this also reminds me I forgot to include Etihad in my list.
CAAC would not have a say on whether CX fails or not. If anything the HK government might step in to take a share in CX only to sell it later when the market environment improves. Unless anyone ever thinks the aviation industry will not come back and CX has a near monopoly over the HK air travel market. While it was true SQ was under some competition, it went back to profitability in FY2019 and compared to any other South-east Asian airline or many other airline companies, SQ is still one of the best managed. There could have been other airlines like Thai, Malaysian, Philippines, Garuda and even Qantas that would seem to be more at risk. SQ and CX has a strong hold over transit pax due to the ease of transiting in SIN and HKG, and they have generally been more pro-active at reducing inefficiencies and managing costs.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:05 am

You brought up Air China as the reason why Cathay would survive. Air China is run by CAAC, which is a branch of the Chinese government. Cathay, as you correctly pointed out, is a Swire business. In the Chinese perception, Swire is a company associated with opium trade and a symbol of oppression of the Chinese people. The extent to which this perception is true is beside the point but you must recognize that the reason for the Chinese government's involvement in Cathay is not to help Swire: in fact it has been hinted numerous times by government-linked sources that the plan was quite the opposite. This was, arguably, the long-term objective but Cathay's entanglement in the political situation in Hong Kong will have accelerated the push for this further. Writing about "Air China" and "HK government" as if they were completely separate entities misses the bigger picture, when push comes to shove any decisions about this will be made centrally. Cathay was important for China early on but by now they already have more than enough of their own airlines.

Now, all of this would matter less if the company were immensely profitable but that's hardly the case, for a multitude of reasons, some of which were self-inflicted (the misguided fuel-price hedging strategies) but mostly stem from HKG's general loss of importance in relation to the rest of China, and are thus very difficult, if not impossible, to overcome for any business geographically constrained to Hong Kong.

You wrote: "CX has a near monopoly over the HK air travel market." I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean: Hong Kong-based travelers have always had lots of choice in terms of which airline to fly. It's definitely not like Air Koryo's monopoly over the NK air travel market, for example. But even assuming that were the case, any large carrier needs not only the control of their home market but to attract transferring passengers to feed their network as well, and this is where things are the most difficult for Cathay.

Historically, Cathay were the gateway to China for the world. Sadly (or not, depending how you look at it), China is no longer in need for any such gateway. There are now direct international flights from China to practically everywhere. If anything, Beijing Capital Airport is being groomed as the new gateway to China. Further, a significant proportion of Cathay's traffic were Taiwan passengers but with the introduction of direct cross-strait flights this market has diminished as well. For both intra-Asia and long-haul, there are now numerous other choices for transfer points, such as for example TPE, and, although it's largely not CX's fault, transferring at HKG is no longer the kind of compelling proposition it used to be. The ME3 and others have taken a huge slice of the lucrative market for travel between Europe and Australia. Cathay's remaining strength is thanks to HKG being the principal entry point for the Pearl River Delta but this could change before long as well.

I can understand the sentiment. Cathay is a solid airline with an impeccable safety record. The day they have to wind up will be the end of an era. But looking at the facts, I can't see them getting out of their current predicament easily. A while ago they seemed more destined to become "Qatar Pacific" of sorts but that's unlikely to happen now as QR will not overextend themselves this way in times like this.

As for SQ, if they were "one of the best-managed" why the need for the single biggest rescue package this early on into the pandemics?

Also, the question was about "major airlines." PAL, for instance, is not even the largest airline in the Philippines, I don't think it's one of the carriers the OP was considering.
BearX220 and Fliar like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by A318neo
Cathay Pacific? Mainland China might want to let them die so China Eastern or Air China can establish a hub.
CX going bust is a common topic in the CX forum. Unlike most other airlines, nearly all of their flights begin or end at a single airport, and HKIA is nearly closed at this point.

That having been said, in the absence of some clever legal footwork, I can't envision either CA or MU playing a direct in any investments. CA already owns its maximum 29.9%, and I believe this cap applies to all PRC investment.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You brought up Air China as the reason why Cathay would survive. Air China is run by CAAC, which is a branch of the Chinese government. Cathay, as you correctly pointed out, is a Swire business. In the Chinese perception, Swire is a company associated with opium trade and a symbol of oppression of the Chinese people. The extent to which this perception is true is beside the point but you must recognize that the reason for the Chinese government's involvement in Cathay is not to help Swire: in fact it has been hinted numerous times by government-linked sources that the plan was quite the opposite. This was, arguably, the long-term objective but Cathay's entanglement in the political situation in Hong Kong will have accelerated the push for this further. Writing about "Air China" and "HK government" as if they were completely separate entities misses the bigger picture, when push comes to shove any decisions about this will be made centrally. Cathay was important for China early on but by now they already have more than enough of their own airlines.
Many moons ago, I used to work with CITIC in Beijing. Pretty much everyone there, from the chairman on down, really liked CX.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by cbn42
Why would you say that? Leisure tourism is a huge driver of the economy, and can be very important for communities just like the industries supported by business travel. If business routes are bailed out and leisure routes aren't, it would be yet another example of the government giving money to corporations (which pay for their employees' business travel) instead of individuals.

Bailouts always create a moral hazard, but the government should not be picking winners and losers. After the financial markets crashed, the big firms were bailed out while the smaller ones were left to go bankrupt. This led to the "too big to fail" mindset where large banks started taking more risks, knowing that they had a guaranteed lifeline. We don't want the same to happen to the airline industry because that would stifle competition.
Europe is a different animal than the US (Canada is somewhere in between), but basically I'd argue that in Europe the airlines tend to drive people to move their leisure spending "somewhere else" (i.e. Brits going to Spain or France on holiday). I'll grant that the relationships are a bit more complicated, but that's the gist of what I see. It isn't nearly as bad as, say, the US cruise industry situation (where you have a foreign-incorporated company (not paying US corporate taxes) running foreign-flagged ships (to dodge various US rules) importing a decent number of cheap workers to man boats that take passengers out of the country to spend money...there I have to question whether a bullet in the industry's head wouldn't be a net boon to the US economy) but it is still questionable as to who the actual beneficiary is. I'm not being snarky, but it seems like the countries those tourists visit should probably be the ones doing the bailing-out.

As I said, the US is different because the travel is mostly within the US (there being some exceptions...Spirit serves a decent number of Central American destinations, for example) but from a policy perspective I'd wonder whether there's an advantage to bailing out the airline in lieu of (implicitly) encouraging travel to nearby destinations or roadtrip vacations (preferably not involving Chevy Chase ;-)). Presuming that leisure spending is a somewhat-fixed pool at any given moment, I'm not sure there's a strong policy case to be had for "Let's pack an additional hundred thousand vacationers into Florida next summer at taxpayer expense", and I'd also point out that based on what surveys I'm seeing, that market segment is gonna get bashed to pieces for the next year or two even if the economy rebounds, while those airlines are far more exposed to an economic downturn (since the annual trip to Wally World is probably in at least some danger of getting axed vis-a-vis a given corporate conference, and said airlines really don't have a model to encourage corporate lock-in).

On the one hand, I'm sympathetic to the line "If you're too big to fail then you're too big." On the other hand, I do think that "too big to fail" companies are going to exist in some fields naturally (natural monopolies/oligopolies due to scale effects) and the best you can hope to do is arrest "bad behavior" by the worst actors. If moral hazard is inevitable (and in many cases it probably is), the ideal would be to use the bailouts to force better behavior as a term of getting said bailout.

(This does come back to the following question: If you put a bailout out there that effectively killed a number of ULCC practices as a condition of accepting it, presuming everyone needed the bailout to survive, how many ULCCs would just call it a day?)
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:39 am

Like a Prayer

Let us all hope and pray that United and American Airlines are the only REAL casualty of the Pandemic. This airline (and Ryan Air) have done the most consistent damage to consumers. They are rude and incompetent and deserve to "go under".
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by A318neo
Cathay Pacific? Mainland China might want to let them die so China Eastern or Air China can establish a hub.
Mainland China may find itself in a very tight spot when all this is over. Even assuming that the pandemic was only an unfortunate accidental propagation, which is far from proven, China will be held accountable for trillions in lost revenue and expenditures and a staggering number of deaths, all through lying, deceit, cheating and lack of sincerity in their communication, not to mention abject political propaganda. The fact is that, if the Chinese had been forthcoming with the information and without the criminal complicity of the World Health Organization, this pandemic would never have taken place. Claiming 2,500 deaths in Wuhan when the delivery of urns to local funeral homes was between 40 ands 80,000 above the usual figure for the period has been an overwhelming factor to the disease's dissemination worldwide.

The closest event I can relate this to is Chernobyl in Ukraine in 1986 which, by Gorbachev's own admission, "was the main cause for the collapse of the USSR five years later". This is Chernobyl to the power of (insert any number you find feasible). Unless China goes to war against the rest of the world (possible...) or accepts full responsibility and offers damages (possible but unlikely), it will become a pariah state or at least extremely scrutinized until it becomes a "normal" nation, much in the way Japan and Germany did after WW2. A lot will depend on China's attitude but precedents are not encouraging.

At any rate, they will (again, unless in a war context) not be in a position to profit from the situation by invading another airline's turf, even if they hold equity in it.
24.05.2004 and Victor88 like this.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Thoughtful post.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
What about doing air freight until we passengers return. You can put the fragile stuff like eggs and cheetos in first class. Hey so long as my FF miles are still good after all this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by Spanish
I hope the smaller LCCs and ULCCs will receive subsidies as beneficial as the larger airlines. Love the cheap nonstop flights when available, and the competition benefits us all...
No thanks.
The competition brought us misery with shrunk seats, available space, toilets and horrendous on board services.

U!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by mrmoo
I'm not defending ULCCs, I don't fly them myself, but if you start bailing out one airline you almost have to help all of them. Their business model works because people will suffer for a lower price, supply and demand has spoken and ULCCs are a successful business (when travel is possible, that is).
Nope, people (business travellers) are made to suffer for a lower price.
The sooner they go, the better.

U!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.