Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any reports of delayed baggage by airport customs after int'l trips?

Old Mar 12, 20, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I am planning for my international trip from US west cost to TPE Taiwan on AC via YVR. I received a report who just returned from South America after a week's trip and he mentioned his checked luggage is being held in Houston. Apparently all luggage containing packaged goods are being "quarantined" and he was advised that he can stick around in his connecting city for 2 weeks or have it shipped to him.

I'm not seeing any news from CBP or TSA about any virus related quarantine yet. Is this plausible given the current state of high health alert? Weird they would be processing baggage this way which would be a nightmare for the airlines, logistics and all. Or is this just standard ops for southern border control?

Did a quick search here but didn't see anything about this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 6:18 pm

1 week trip to South America raises red flags for US Customs to be vigilant with luggage as well as passenger due to many reasons like trafficking drugs and exotic animals...etc. If you register with Canada Gov your travel dates and provide address of family members you will visit...etc. and make sure your suitcase does not smell food or drugs or ...etc and that contains no food or other items that US customs MUST check when returning to US and on your customs entry form or app mark you have nothing to declare then if and only if you have no previous convictions then usually luggage passes through quickly...
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NRMR View Post
I am planning for my international trip from US west cost to TPE Taiwan on AC via YVR. I received a report who just returned from South America after a week's trip and he mentioned his checked luggage is being held in Houston. Apparently all luggage containing packaged goods are being "quarantined" and he was advised that he can stick around in his connecting city for 2 weeks or have it shipped to him.

I'm not seeing any news from CBP or TSA about any virus related quarantine yet. Is this plausible given the current state of high health alert? Weird they would be processing baggage this way which would be a nightmare for the airlines, logistics and all. Or is this just standard ops for southern border control?

Did a quick search here but didn't see anything about this.
Was this an international to International transit at IAH? Only a few USA airports are set up for this, in which the passenger doesn't formally enter the USA.

Otherwise, at the first airport where one lands in the USA, everyone goes through immigration, picks up checked bags and walks them through customs (including any additional inspections for ag etc.), and then drops the bag to recheck it. The bag should be cleared by customs in the passenger's presence.

Could the bag have experienced IROPs (missed a flight or connection, etc.)?
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:42 pm

Why is luggage checking or delay related to coronavirus?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Trying to leave out specific details as to which SA country the person traveled from. I'm assuming they returned with a connection through IAH. I was informed that his baggage was being inspected and was delayed due to virus quarantine. Supposedly the baggage only contained coffee and/or packaged foods and their trip was 1 week.
Old Mar 13, 20, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The percentage of bags which are actually inspected by CBP is minimal. There must have been something about these bags which triggered an inspection. If the bags contained food items, did the passenger declare the food on his paper or electronic Declaration? If not, that would be a reason for the bags to be held.
Old Mar 13, 20, 1:00 pm

Most international airports now have K-9 baggage quick inspection that in no time finds containing food, drugs, ...illegal items and customs agents immediately demand passengers to open them for full inspection.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The percentage of bags which are actually inspected by CBP is minimal. There must have been something about these bags which triggered an inspection. If the bags contained food items, did the passenger declare the food on his paper or electronic Declaration? If not, that would be a reason for the bags to be held.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: