Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cabin pressure issue - question about oxygen system and masks

Old Mar 10, 20, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium

We had a cabin pressurization issue on todayís LAX-SFO flight. Aside from the fact that many of the panels didnít open to drop the masks (?!), Iím curious if anyone has insight into how the oxygen is circulated/how the system works.

Did I just directly suck down/share my fellow passengersí breath along with the oxygen? Color me paranoid.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by snorkmaster View Post
We had a cabin pressurization issue on todayís LAX-SFO flight. Aside from the fact that many of the panels didnít open to drop the masks (?!), Iím curious if anyone has insight into how the oxygen is circulated/how the system works.

Did I just directly suck down/share my fellow passengersí breath along with the oxygen? Color me paranoid.

Thanks.
Most/all aircraft use this system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator
Your oxygen was generated for YOU and no-one else.
ajGoes and aroundtheworld76 like this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
Correct. The reason you "pull on the mask to activate the flow of oxygen" is that this action starts the chemical reaction in the oxygen generator that produces the oxygen. Each generator will "burn" for about 15 minutes when activated. It can not be shut off.

The masks themselves will not drop until the cabin altitude is above 10,000'. A pressurization problem doesn't mean that the cabin altitude is already above 10,000'. It just means that there is a problem with the pressurization system. There's often time to stop climbing, or even descend, before the cabin altitude gets above 10,000'.
Flyer0889 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
This is correct. the only DL aircraft that had an "oxygen tank" in recent years (instead of a chemical system) was the 747 if I recall correctly. even then the oxygen wasn't recirculated.

Originally Posted by snorkmaster View Post
We had a cabin pressurization issue on todayís LAX-SFO flight. Aside from the fact that many of the panels didnít open to drop the masks (?!)
That can happen. FAs are trained to open the panels manually, but generally we wouldn't have the opportunity because before we even get to that point the aircraft is usually descended to a safe altitude. our the pilots are trained to descend rapidly, we take our seats or secure ourselves in place immediately at DL. some airlines are trained to monkey bar (move from mask to mask down the aisle) but we don't do that at DL.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 10, 20 at 8:28 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: