Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where To Fly Obsolete Aircraft Today

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 20, 9:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
The definition of "obsolete" is quite loose, and more information is better than less, so even if it's borderline obsolete, it is welcome here. Generally for an aircraft to be considered obsolete, it should be out of production, and also not in widespread use.

Airbus A300
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A300
Produced 1971–2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...A300_operators
  • Iran Air - Still has 8 of various varieties. Used on medium-haul routes
  • Mahon Air (Iran) - Used on Iranian domestic flights
  • Qeshm Air (Iran) - Used on flights from Tehran to Turkey

Airbus A310
Air Transat (Canada) - Various International Routes - Type to be retired soon, final scheduled flight 27 Apr 2020, CDG-YQB
Mahon Air (Iran) - Medium-haul flights from Tehran base

Antonov An-24
Beechcraft 1900
  • Air Sunshine (USA) - Based in San Juan Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, flies interisland flights
  • Buddha Air (Nepal)- various including Mount Everest sightseeing flights
  • EVAS Air (Canada) - 6 aircraft operate for Air Canada Express in the maritimes
  • Pacific Coastal Airlines (Canada) - 14 aircraft operating in British Columbia
  • Twin Jet (France) - 12 aircraft flying in France and to neighboring countries
  • Chalair Aviation (France) - a few flying in SW France - see the map at the bottom of the link
  • Wasaya Airways (Canada) - Flights all over Ontario out of Sioux Lookout (YXL)
  • PAL Airlines (Canada) - Flights in eastern Quebec
  • Overland Airways (Nigeria) - Domestic Flights and to neighboring countries

Britten-Norman Islander (Technically still in production despite zero aircraft deliveries for years)
  • Cape Air (USA) - Operates seasonal interisland flights out of San Juan Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport
  • InterCaribbean Airways (Turks and Caicos) - Flies interisland flights
  • Air Flamenco (USA) - Culebra Puerto Rico based carrier connecting Culebra to other parts of Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean
  • Loganair (Scotland)- intraisland routes ex Kirkwall (KOI)
  • Air Vanuatu - domestic flights
  • Fly Montserrat - Flights to Antigua and Barbuda
  • Anguilla Air Services - All flights
  • Air Panama - domestic flights to eastern Panama
  • FlyMySky (New Zealand)- service ex AKL to great barrier island and Matamata (Hobbiton?)

Britten-Norman Trislander
  • Vieques Air Link (USA) - Vieques Puerto Rico based carrier connecting Vieques and Culebra to the rest of Puerto Rico
  • Roraima Airways (Guyana) - Guyanese regional airline operating domestic flights.

Boeing 727
Zero G (USA) - A weightlessness experience - Costs $5400 per person.

Cessna 402
  • Cape Air (USA) - Backbone of their fleet, operates various leisure routes in New England, and the Caribbean. Also operates EAS contract flights in the midwest.
  • Chartair (Australia)- regional milk run routes in NT/WA/SA

Convair 580
Air Chathams (New Zealand) - Most often used on flights to and from the Chatham Islands (CHT), including to AKL, CHC, and WLG (Convair 580)

Dornier 228
  • Sevenair (Portugal) - domestic hops
  • Aurigny Air (UK) - flights to the Channel Islands
  • Air Marshall Islands - interisland flights
  • Tara Air (Nepal) - domestic flights

Dornier 328
Central Mountain Air (Canada) - flights in Alberta and British Columbia

Dornier Do328JET
  • Denver Air Connection (USA) - DEN-TEX - One roundtrip flight daily (not possible for day trip), Operates daily until ~June where it operates Saturdays only.
  • Taos Air (USA) - Seasonal flights to Taos, NM for ski resort
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia (Denmark and several nearby countries, British Airways franchisee) - flying 16 328JETs on several routes, mostly out of BLL (Billund, DK), including LCY-BLL, MAN-BLL, OSL-BLL, AAR-BMA.

Embraer 110
  • CM Airlines (Honduras) - domestic flights and to neighboring countries
  • TAG Airlines (Guatemala) - domestic flights
  • Air Rarotonga (Cook Islands) - Flights between Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Embraer 120
  • InterCaribbean Airways (Turks and Caicos) - Flies interisland flights
  • Airnorth (Australia)- regional routes in NT/WA
  • Mahogany Air (Zambia) - more information needed
  • Freedom Airline (Kenya) - domestic and flights to Somalia
  • LAM (Mozambique) - domestic flights
  • Skippers (Australia) - flights around WA
  • African Express (Kenya) - domestic flights
  • Transair (Senegal) - domestic flights

Fokker 50
  • Alliance Airlines (Australia)- regional routes in SA
  • Braathens (Sweden) - domestic routes, operated by Amapola
  • Skyward Express (Kenya) - domestic routes
  • Air Antwerp (Belgium) - Antwerp to LCY

Fokker 70
  • Air Niugini (New Guinea) - Operates in Oceania, with destinations including Australia
  • Alliance Airlines (Australia) - Flights in Queensland and WA
  • Virgina Australia - Short-haul flights from BNE

Fokker 100
  • Air Niugini (New Guinea) - Operates in Oceania, with destinations including Australia
  • Montenegro Airlines (Montenegro) - Scheduled to be retired by the end of 2020, scheduled on LGW-TIV (London Gatwick to Tivat) in summer 2020, as well as many other routes between various European airports and (the coast of) Montenegro
  • QantasLink (network aviation) Australia- operates regional routes in WA and NT
  • Virgin Australia- operates regional routes in NT, SA and WA. Being retired
  • Alliance Airlines (Australia)- operates regional routes in QLD/NT, some operate on behalf of Virgin Australia
  • Iran Air - domestic routes
  • Qeshm Air (Iran) - domestic routes
  • Iran Aseman Air - domestic routes

Ilyushin IL96
Cubana (Cuba) - Operates on transatlantic flights

Let 410
Swearingen/Fairchild Metroliner
  • Denver Air Connection (USA) - DEN-AIA - One roundtrip flight daily (not possible for day trip), half of the seats have been removed to bring it down to 9 seats for EAS service.
  • Air Chathams (New Zealand) - Acccording to their website (Fairchild Metroliner), these are flown between Auckland (AKL) and Whakatane (WHK)
  • FlyTiwi (Australia)- regional routes in NT
  • Sharp Aviation (Australia)- regional routes Vic/Tas/?NSW
  • Bearskin Airlines (Canada) - Bearskin (JV) still operates 23 Metroliners on flights around Ontario, primarily from their bases at Thunder Bay (YQT) and Sioux Lookout (YXL)

Yakovlev Yak-40
Motor Sich Airways (Ukraine) - More information needed

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 20, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR

Inspired by the The last time you flew a (insert obsolete aircraft) thread, I thought I'd create one with a wikipost where those who would like to fly on an "obsolete" aircraft before they're gone can find information on how to do so.

I'll start with what I know, and hopefully others will add their knowledge as well!
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:40 pm

Air Chatham (3C) fly an interesting mix of aircraft..

C206 from CHT - PITT

DC-3 on Scenic/charter flights from TRG (does that count?)

Metroliner II from AKL-WHK

Convair 580 still regularly used to CHT (not sure from where..services to CHT operate from AKL/CHC/WEL)
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Air Chatham (3C) fly an interesting mix of aircraft..
C206 from CHT - PITT
DC-3 on Scenic/charter flights from TRG (does that count?)
Metroliner II from AKL-WHK
Convair 580 still regularly used to CHT (not sure from where..services to CHT operate from AKL/CHC/WEL)
https://www.airchathams.co.nz/
https://www.airchathams.co.nz/our-st...et/convair-580
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Chathams
A year or so ago some one had a Trip Report on a trip to the Chatams
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
The Borgata hotel in Atlantic City also operates the Do328 between FRG and ACY for high rolling gamblers. I think they do other city pairs to to ACY but I don’t know the parent company that runs the flights.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS DL
DC-9-20 Only about 10 were built, all for Scandinavian. The -20 had the same fuselage as the -10 but the larger wings of a -30. There's one DC-9-20 in Southern California used for skydiving.

The BAe 146 and RJ85 is getting old. Still possible to fly them in Europe but I don't know if it's possible in the US anymore.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Zero-Gravity Corporation (“Zero-G”) operates a 727-200

the flight experience is $5400
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Explodist, IHG Splat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
The BAe 146 and RJ85 is getting old. Still possible to fly them in Europe but I don't know if it's possible in the US anymore.
Loved flying those as NW Airlink dba Mesaba. Best domestic F seat in the fleet, at the time, and so quiet. But right, I don't think the type is flying in N. America anymore.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
Loved flying those as NW Airlink dba Mesaba. Best domestic F seat in the fleet, at the time, and so quiet. But right, I don't think the type is flying in N. America anymore.
The BAe146/RJ85 was one of my favorite planes. The front door was narrow, so much so that I once took a photo of it. There was an aisle seat in the 2nd row of economy class where the 1st row was only 2+2, not 2+3. That seat had infinite leg room. The overhead compartments were shorter where the wing was.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:06 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
I did the Chatham Islands trip on the CV580 in November 2019. Not a cheap flight but seemingly reliable. Tip: sit as far down the back as possible - that's quietest and warmest. Take ear plugs. Catering offered (a sandwich in the morning CHT-AKL). On lightly loaded flights, you sit where ever you like in spite of the boarding pass that might nominate a seat. You appreciate how quiet the pax cabin is when you use the toilet - note that the prop is VERY close just outside.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:55 am

Motor Sich Airlines flies Antonov An-24 and Yakovlev Yak-40 aircraft on numerous Ukranian domestic flights. I flew them oneway from IEV to LWO for about $60 (last minute equipment swap from AN to Yak), it was a (positively!) memorable experience. Not many planes nowadays that you board through aft stairs.

https://flymotorsich.com/en/
diburning likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:11 am

Programs: QF WP
I love that this thread is about obsolete aircraft types and then covers about 90% of my day to day flying 😂

I’ve added a bunch of Australian stuff to the wiki. There will be more
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 8:21 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by the phoenix View Post
The Borgata hotel in Atlantic City also operates the Do328 between FRG and ACY for high rolling gamblers. I think they do other city pairs to to ACY but I don’t know the parent company that runs the flights.
British Airways franchise partner Sun-Air of Scandinavia operates a bunch of them, mostly out of the Danish (Jutland) airport of BLL (Billund, next to original Legoland), including to London City airport twice a weekday. Will add to wiki.
Old Mar 10, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
I love that this thread is about obsolete aircraft types and then covers about 90% of my day to day flying 😂

I’ve added a bunch of Australian stuff to the wiki. There will be more

What are you flying????
Old Mar 10, 20, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
I used to live in the Midwest, and flew this aircraft often between my small local airport and MSP. I loved it! I dubbed the plane a "mini 747".
born sleepy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:05 am

Having just managed to sample KLM's Fokker 70 on its retirement flight, high on my shopping list is the Fokker 50. Last year European service was (re-)introduced by Air Antwerp; they have a single aircraft which they operate between London City (LCY) and Antwerp (ANR). If anyone would be interested in making a 'do' of it, let me know!
diburning likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: