Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do airlines determine the hotels crew are placed in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do airlines determine the hotels crew are placed in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
As stated numerous times upthread, layover spots are decided in part by the length of the layover, is what I've been told by airline employees. If over a certain time, say for example 12 hours, crew has to be put in lodging that has convenient walking availability to restaurants, shops, etc. I own a business that gets a lot of airline crew, usually at least two or three everyday, because there is a Sheraton down the street where AA, WN, and I think, LH put up crewmembers. It's a major urban downtown area, 25 miles or so from DFW.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I own a business that gets a lot of airline crew, usually at least two or three everyday, because there is a Sheraton down the street where AA, WN, and I think, LH put up crewmembers.
Let it be known that you'll offer an airline crewmember discount and you'll get a whole lot more! LOL
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Years ago, I worked for a company who had a contract for an airline to transport their pilots and crew members to hotels for their layovers. There was a period where there were a large number of canceled flights to the NE USA due to a major snowstorm/blizzard and the contracted hotels were out of rooms. I ended up taking two crews to a hotel that was not contracted, but was called by the agency who handled these type of circumstances and was able to find rooms where most were hotels were already booked to the rafters due to this storm.

Upon arrival to this hotel, a few of the crew were highly upset because it did not meet the conditions of the contract agreed to by the union because the rooms were accessible by outside doors, not internal hallways. I guess it had to do with "safety" and that anyone can walk the outside levels of the hotel. Some were refusing to stay there and asked to go back to the airport instead. I had to call the agency to get direction and to approve the return as we were not paid for any transportation not approved in advance. When these flight crew members spoke to the representative and were told that they either accept these rooms as they were the only ones available or they would sleep on the floor at the airport until they were cleared to fly after the storms passed, they decided to stay, but filed a complaint through the union. I never found out what happened as most of theses flights did not get off the ground for up to 3 days.
I wouldn't say it is just "safety." It seems, from what you are describing, more of a motel than a hotel. Hotels rarely have outdoor corridors. That is one sign you are staying at a Motel 6, for example, versus a Holiday Inn (though some higher-end Motel 6's have indoor corridors).
I think they were upset as this is of a lower standard. It is really hard to quantify "junky". Even some Hiltons are junky. But to get the right terminology so you can pick out the junky hotels across the world must be very difficult.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Contracts which disallow outside entry rooms do so on the basis of both security and noise.
BearX220, GUWonder and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
AFAIK the hotel used is the middle of a venn diagram of the Crew Contract requirements and where the Airline can negotiate the best rate that fits those requirement.

For domestic flights, the airline will first try to book crew schedules that don't require overnights but when it's required or in case of irrops they'll likely be booked into hotels as close to the airport as possible for ease of transportation, etc.

For INTL flights, it's completely different and I've chatted with some cabin crew that said their contract requires both a certain number of nights for layovers, and also hotels that aren't in the middle of nowhere but downtown, etc. I know that Austrian uses the Hilton in downtown Chicago as they're impossible to miss when dress head to toe in their canary red uniforms. LH used to use the Hilton as well, but I haven't seen them recently and the LH flag next to the airline checkin desk is gone. I assume that hotel contracts come and go as they're renegotiated from time to time.

As of last fall the UA crew was put up at the Intercontinental in Papeete - sweet deal - and with the 3x/week fights and schedule that meant a late night arrival and departure combined with a minimal time change, they had at least 2 long days in paradise, and some had settled into a pattern where each week they flew down and back within the workweek and then had a long weekend at home before doing the same thing the next week. It was something like - Fly down on Monday, leaving SFO early afternoon. All day Tuesday and Wednesday at the IC. Late night flight home arriving early mornring on Thursday. Have Thursday through Monday noon at home. Repeat the next week. Sweet.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by milepig
As of last fall the UA crew was put up at the Intercontinental in Papeete - sweet deal - and with the 3x/week fights and schedule that meant a late night arrival and departure combined with a minimal time change, they had at least 2 long days in paradise, and some had settled into a pattern where each week they flew down and back within the workweek and then had a long weekend at home before doing the same thing the next week. It was something like - Fly down on Monday, leaving SFO early afternoon. All day Tuesday and Wednesday at the IC. Late night flight home arriving early mornring on Thursday. Have Thursday through Monday noon at home. Repeat the next week. Sweet.
Having vacationed at IC Papeete; Where can I apply?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:04 pm

In San Francisco I have seen Air France at Le Méridien San Francisco and KLM at the Courtyard on Folsom and 2nd. I've seen quite a few Flight Crews at the Hilton in Chinatown as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.