Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you recline in Economy on your flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you recline in Economy on your flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
I rarely recline,I don't feel like I am that much more comfortable.
Same. I don't find it very comfortable unless I'm trying to sleep. I only recline on international flights, really. In general, most people on those flights will also recline so we are all still equal in the amount of personal space we have.

When I used to work a lot on transcon flights and didn't know if an upgrade would happen, I would book the row right behind the exit so I couldn't be reclined into. I was going to be on my laptop the whole time so I planned for it when possible.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As soon as the wheels leave the ground although I do it slowly. That's what the recline button is there for, to recline your seat.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’m really not sure what the whole debate is about. Seats recline, so I’m not sure when it became taboo o actually use the recline that comes with the seat.

Im not rude for reclining. I do try to be polite - for example, recline slowly. I do put my seat back up for meal service. But I do not have a problem with using the recline feature, and I’m. not going to ask the person behind me if it’s ok. I don’t even recline all the time. Those who don’t want a reclining seat should choose a carrier where they don’t exist - is it Spirit or Frontier (or maybe both)? Or select a seat in a row where the person in front can’t recline.

in one of the articles (maybe the Washington Post), there was someone complaining in the comments that they were 6 foot 4, and that the person in front of them shouldn’t be reclining, but instead by a seat in F. So now me, who Id call average size, is supposed to pay for F because someone behind me might be 6 foot 4? No, if you are taller, and aren’t comfortable in an E seat, you are welcome to buy E+ or F yourself, where you will be more comfortable. I’m nice, but don’t have the luxury to even buy F for my own want most of the time - so I’m not going to do it to do it for someone I don’t know.

Whenever this debate comes up, I also like to point out that the recline here in the US isn’t actually that much. I know from my experience on airlines like TG and SQ, the seats can recline much further back than on UA - I haven’t measured - but I’d guess it’s about twice as far. So when you are sitting on a 6 hour red eye from say, BOM-BKK, and have the pax in front of you fully reclined the entire flight (including during meal service), it’s actually much more intrusive than say, on an SFO-EWR red eye here. In a case like that, I’m not happy, to say the least, or particularly comfortable, even as a person that doesn’t have particularly big measurements either way. But it is what is - it’s a few hours of my life and I’ll get over it
To attempt a response to your first paragraph, it seems (or maybe I notice it more) that people have been becoming increasingly self-centered. Possible examples include walking down a busy sidewalk looking at a cell phone rather than looking ahead, tailgating/speeding/road rage, and maybe (?) complaining when the passenger sitting ahead reclines their seat.

Getting back specifically to reclining, is it truly a matter of airline seating being incompatible with the physique of at least some, or is it due to a failure to manage expectations? I have to disclose I'm not exactly the tallest person (I'm around 5'10"). If the complaint is reclining is doing to the person behind the equivalent of shoving 10 pounds into a 5 pound sack, that's one thing. It's another thing entirely if the person seated behind is expecting as much seating space as in their living room. There is something to be said for "thinking small" as the situation warrants.

I tend to recline only on night flights, when everyone else is also trying to sleep. I'm OK with others reclining in front of me. I admit that it increases the cramped feeling in what is already a confined space. If existing in a reduced space for a few hours is what I need to do to afford to fly, that in my book is a great tradeoff.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:08 am
Suspended

I always recline
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:55 pm

1. Not on flights <4 hours
2. Not during takeoff, landing, or meal times
3. I always tell the person (I don't ask permission, I inform them)

If you're flying AKL-SYD you don't need to effing recline your seat.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Megan Murray
The seats are designed to recline,.
This is such a fallacious argument, however. My car is designed to do around 240kmh (150mph) but I don't do it because it would be unsafe and dangerous (and inconsiderate to other drivers).
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Never recline unless it’s in J where it doesn’t impact anyone else.

I think it’s impolite to encroach on others.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
This is such a fallacious argument, however. My car is designed to do around 240kmh (150mph) but I don't do it because it would be unsafe and dangerous (and inconsiderate to other drivers).
I never recline in Y. Others may do so, since the option is there, so I just consider the following--

1) earn more dough
2) where possible, fly airlines with seats that don't recline (e.g. Frontier, Ryanair)
3) hope that if someone does recline, that it stays that way (e.g. it's a tease to put it back during meal service)
4) find IFE that ignores the imminent seat recline
5) would be nice if carriers had sections where seats don't recline... Economy +-?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Reclining your seat is not unsafe or dangerous. Nor is the seat recline usage limited by law.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I only recline on longhaul flights during sleep periods and very occasionally on short haul when the person in front has reclined into me. My pet hate is the jerk who slams the seat back.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I always recline as soon as we're wheels up. The idea of asking the person behind me is laughable.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm 6'4'', do I LIKE when the person in front of me reclines? Absolutely not. Is it their right to do so? Damn right. I will recline my seat whenever I feel like it. If the recline feature wasn't meant to be used, it wouldn't be part of the seat design. I've been on plenty of intra-euro flights where the seats are not designed to recline, if that's the way airlines feel they can install those seats. As long as the seats are designed to recline, no one should have any concerns about doing so. This is more about cry baby people getting angry that everyone else on the plane isn't respecting their preferences and worrying primarily about their comfort. You would have never seen this sort of infantile crap years ago.
Mendobrew, will2288 and Zeeb like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many

If you're flying AKL-SYD you don't need to effing recline your seat.
Says who? You? Why should you be the arbiter? Maybe that person just connected to AKL-SYD from a 10+ hour flight and needs to recline to get some rest.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Since the whole world seems to be discussing this issue, I thought I would ask folks here.

When you are in E-, do you recline as a matter of course, ask permission first (as the DL CEO suggests), or just don't recline?

I don't recline.
​​​

If it is a short duration flight (1 - 1.5 hours), I can get away without reclining. However, if it is a longer flight then I will recline and I dont think I will ask permission but will check if the person behind me is tall and might need the extra room for his/her knees.

The airlines have had their say and crowded planes with extra seats and taken away leg room. Advocating for taking away the recline feature is a bad idea. I rather we push back and ask airlines to remove the one row and make room for all seats to have the minimum recline space and all be allowed to recline.

In the case of the AA flight, while I do not condone the action taken by the guy in the video, to be fair he was sitting in the last row and he did not have any recline space. All passengers paying the same fare - why do some get the extra perks while others dont?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:58 am

Just travel frontier...those seats do not recline, lol. Ask me how I know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.