Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's for the chicken littles and not for those of us who have ice water in our veins. If it's past final payment, you're not going to get much back if anything other than port fees & taxes (if that). Might as well hang tight and wait for the cruiseco to cancel, and airlines too if you have non-refundable tickets (might as well wait until the last possible moment).
There are more chicken littles out there than we might care to believe.

I was in Toronto during SARS. The owner of my favourite Chinese restaurant said his business dropped significantly during the SARS crisis whereas other restaurants didn't notice much affect. The SARS fear was so great that then Prime Minister Jean Chretien made a point of dining at a Chinese restaurant to help shake the stigma.

During the height of the Ebola crisis I was doing project work in Southern Africa. I was asked repeatedly if I was afraid of "the Ebola." A couple of times when I'd mentioned where I'd been working there were people who deliberately moved away from me even though I'd explained I was thousands of kilometers away from the outbreak.

One cruise ship gets quarantined in Japan and panic ensues. People are now cancelling cruises to Europe and the Caribbean even though hundreds of ships are still cruising. People are cancelling flights to Europe scheduled months from now because of a virus in China. It's ridiculous.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Our trip to Jpn is in a week.
I just looked at BR's seatmap. Compared to a few weeks ago, more open seats in my cabin. A bit more on TPAC outbound, a lot more on return.
You never know what this truly means, but I have to think that a significant number of people have cancelled.
I think things are definitely looking better than I'd have expected a week ago. There were 20 cases in Jpn ~10days ago, and it still only sits at 25.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF WP
The virus doesnt concern me in any way. Its the peripheral stuff

i have a trip booked for April Australia-SIN-HKG-MAD-CAN-HKG-MAD-HKG-SIN-Australia

at the moment work is enforcing 2 weeks unpaid leave for anyone that has visited (including transited) mainland China- initially they said HKG was included but now not sure. Im assuming AY will allow a switch from CAN to HKG if China is still an issue but you never know. SIN wont allow entry or transit to those who have been in China. At present Australia is allowing permanent residents back in as long as they self isolate (Im not a citizen there), but if it gets worse they could close entry down further

id only lose about $1000 if I cancelled right now but I do actually really want to go on the trip!!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by evergrn
Our trip to Jpn is in a week.
I just looked at BR's seatmap. Compared to a few weeks ago, more open seats in my cabin. A bit more on TPAC outbound, a lot more on return.
You never know what this truly means, but I have to think that a significant number of people have cancelled.
I think things are definitely looking better than I'd have expected a week ago. There were 20 cases in Jpn ~10days ago, and it still only sits at 25.
If you disregard all the media telling you what to think, and just look at cold hard data (e.g. how many people are getting infected over how many days, relative to the population of Japan and also a reasonable estimate of fatality rate), nCoV really isn't a concern in any country, except perhaps mainland China.

The only 2 factors that would deter me from traveling would be significant push back from family members, or concerns about quarantine/refusal for entry to other countries shortly after the Asia trip.
evergrn, Badenoch, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:48 pm

Queen Mary has canceled overnight call in HK and Singapore. I'd expect more disruptions to cruises.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Dave510
If you disregard all the media telling you what to think, and just look at cold hard data (e.g. how many people are getting infected over how many days, relative to the population of Japan and also a reasonable estimate of fatality rate), nCoV really isn't a concern in any country, except perhaps mainland China.

Said that to step daughter who is worried about her husband who just left for Bangkok for work. I said look at the population of China and how many are sick/dead.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have no doubt that that analysis is correct for being in Tokyo or Bangkok or Hong Kong or wherever - the chances of picking it up are tiny. I think that the real issue is close proximity and confined spaces - eg a plane or a cruise ship. That's where you probably do need to worry.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:59 pm

I canceled a trip to HKG and Thailand scheduled for today. Singapore Airlines will fully refund my non-refundable tickets.
My trip from HKG to CNX was canceled by Air Asia. My prepaid non-refundable hotel booking was fully refunded.

A friend has a cruise starting from Singapore and she wants to cancel. Cruise ship will not refund so she got a doctor's note and the credit card paid out trip interruption insurance claim within 24 hours.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavedder
A friend has a cruise starting from Singapore and she wants to cancel. Cruise ship will not refund so she got a doctor's note and the credit card paid out trip interruption insurance claim within 24 hours.
Doctor's note? Does your friend have a medical condition that makes her particularly susceptible, or her doctor simply agreed to write a note saying she shouldn't go?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:01 pm

Was scheduled on CX JFK-HKG(staying for 4 nights) and then on to MNL. Canceled purely because we could not get into MNL from HKG via CX. Was bummed as I really wanted to try the new Rosewood HK.

Initially, Rosewood was not refundable for the one night deposit I paid (over $1k) however, after some discussion with my travel advisor, they were willing to cancel and refund completely.

Booked JFK to Tokyo (4 nights there) and then on to MNL. Not terribly concerned about virus in Tokyo, just practice general awareness and hygiene, and I suspect all will be fine. Curious to see how this all plays out in the next month (scheduled to depart March 19). I did notice a drop in hotel rates in Tokyo (at least at the Andaz) which was appreciated and I suspect due to virus concerns, as Sakura season will be in play and hotel costs are usually at a high.
*Edit: not really the exact topic of the thread, just wanted to share my two cents...*

Last edited by benjahman; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Had a trip with the better half in about 10 days to Penang for 12 days that I just cancelled. Probably overkill, but it is what it is.

Blue Mansion fully refunded (CSR points), and ate 1k in QR J fees.

There's always another time to go.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Off to Taiwan Friday. Zero percent concerned.

Fiance did her research and decided she was fine with it too, so, she is joining me as planned.

I cant imagine canceling traveling to anywhere other than Wuhan at this point.

Life is too short to be scared of everything the media tells people to be scared of.

heck, if I was scared of something that killed 1,000 people in 3 weeks, I wouldnt get in a car ever again!

nah, off to Taiwan this weekend and looking forward to exploring!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm headed to Taiwan and Japan this weekend for a work trip. I've kept an eye on things but the situation seems under control in both places. I did reroute to avoid HKG, which turned out to be a good idea since AA canceled the flight and I wouldn't have been able to enter Taiwan anyway. I'll take a few precautions like wearing a mask on the subway but otherwise I'm not too concerned.

I'm interested to hear what restrictions companies are putting on travel to anywhere outside of China. I think the risk is pretty low based on what we know so far, but some companies (especially larger ones) tend to be really conservative with risk.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:21 pm

Doctor's note? Does your friend have a medical condition that makes her particularly susceptible, or her doctor simply agreed to write a note saying she shouldn't go?

My friend is a senior, has diabetes and high blood pressure. Her doctor's note simply stated she is at high risk if contracted coronavirus. A 3 sentence note took care of her claim.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I was supposed to be in Singapore this week (from Denmark). A week before my departure, me host out there asked me to cancel (postpone, will probably be for a year). So I did.
I checked my travel insurance - basically they use the travel advisory from the Danish government as guidelines for covering cancellations or not (and in any case, needs to be done 12 days out - not sure why, but those are their rules).
Thankfully, I am only out the flight ticket (around USD 900), as I was staying with my friend. I even got back two of my scheduled three days off from work, to use later.

I was ready to book an Easter trip to the US, but my friends freaked out and made me promise to wait until we see about the spread of the virus. So now I am plotting the WHO numbers everyday ...

- DanishFlyer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.