Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
I am still undecided on what I'll do. I am scheduled to fly to HKG from the US on Friday on NH. (2 night stay near the airport) I am not overly concerned with getting sick, but am concerned about being denied entry elsewhere in near future travels should countries start to expand their travel restrictions. NH will change flight dates for no charge, so money won't be a deciding factor. I'll probably hold on a decision until late Thursday.

Anyone else in the same situation?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MrLapLap arrived FUK on Sunday via HKG from Dhaka. He will be travelling on to HND this Sunday and back to London on the 19th.

We’re supposed to fly out to Tokyo together at the start of April with Air China. Out of our hands as far as we’re concerned. If we can’t fly then we might request that Air China reschedule us in the summer (we’re tied to British school holidays). No reason to doubt that our flights wouldn’t be refunded in full if that’s what has to be done. Most we might lose is about GBP25 on the hotel room we booked in China. Considering how much hardship is being endured by so many, hasn’t escaped us how fortunate and privileged we are to be in this position.
estnet, YuropFlyer and 747FC like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:18 pm

I'm doing the opposite - lots of extra travel, making the most of the cheap fares, less crowded flights and lounges, and quieter destinations caused by the extreme overreaction of everyone else to what has so far been far less serious than the routine yearly flu outbreak.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:37 pm

We have a trip to HKG planned for next month. Haven't cancelled yet, but likely to do so. The whole thing is overblown in my opinion, but getting some pushback from family. Concerns about everything being closed, return flight possibly being cancelled, being quarantined upon returning home. Who knows? It's developing quite rapidly. I plan to monitor and probably cancel within a week. CX looks to be charging CAD 200 a person cancellation fee, so not bad all things considered. Maybe we'll go somewhere hot and beachy instead.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pedanticus
The whole thing is overblown in my opinion, but getting some pushback from family.
Getting pushback not from family, but peer pressure. Family friends think it'd be irresponsible for us to go, my kids' friends cancelled their trips during mid-winter break, and wife worried about what other moms would think. My kids' school requires staying away from school for 14 days if returning from anywhere in China. Hoping they don't extend that to Taiwan.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:42 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn

On the other hand, I was talking to someone today who decided to cancel a trip from US to Europe because he didn't want to take any chances.
I beg your pardon ? Did he really cancel a trip to Europe because of nCOV-2019 ?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I beg your pardon ? Did he really cancel a trip to Europe because of nCOV-2019 ?
yeah bit of an overreaction, I thought.
But I bet you there are others who’ve done the same.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
yeah bit of an overreaction, I thought.
But I bet you there are others who’ve done the same.
how does he know that staying home is any safer?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; HHonors
I have booked my whole family to China for early March from Air Canada. Until today, we are still waiting for Air Canada to provide full refund. Until then, my agent had told me that there is no difference in canceling today or 48 hours before the flight. So, we will probably continue waiting.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
What if it was a cruise in Asia? Would you go or cancel?

Reading about that cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama where more and more people onboard keep getting the virus. If there was a chance you would end up in that situation, would you be more likely to cancel?

Another cruise ship is floating around SE asia because no ports will accept them, even though no one shows signs of the virus. I guess they just float around for 14 days to see if anyone gets sick.

And now some people on a cruise ship docked in NY are being tested for the virus.

I think the cruise industry is going to take a hit for a while. If I had a cruise in Asia, I would be trying to get a refunded cancellation right now. If I couldn't, I would still cancel and eat the cost.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:23 pm

Hanoi Trip.

I have a weeklong trip to Hanoi on miles starting in 2 weeks. I reserved a ticket to Tokyo then decided to do a week in Hanoi in the middle. It will cost $450 to cancel and have miles returned which isn't that much. I have been looking forward to going on this trip for 4 months though and I have $650 total that won't be returned. I'd hate to pay $650 to not go.

Would you go to Hanoi in 2 weeks? It's non essential travel and the headlines are scaring me.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
If I had a cruise in Asia, I would be trying to get a refunded cancellation right now. If I couldn't, I would still cancel and eat the cost.
That's for the chicken littles and not for those of us who have ice water in our veins. If it's past final payment, you're not going to get much back if anything other than port fees & taxes (if that). Might as well hang tight and wait for the cruiseco to cancel, and airlines too if you have non-refundable tickets (might as well wait until the last possible moment).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's for the chicken littles and not for those of us who have ice water in our veins. If it's past final payment, you're not going to get much back if anything other than port fees & taxes (if that). Might as well hang tight and wait for the cruiseco to cancel, and airlines too if you have non-refundable tickets (might as well wait until the last possible moment).
I guess I would wait until right before it. But I have to admit, the thought of being on a cruise ship with a bunch of people freaks me out on a good day. The thought of being trapped on a ship with thousands of people in a quarantine is enough to keep me from ever booking one. LOL

I have never been on one, and now its just reinforced.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I guess I would wait until right before it. But I have to admit, the thought of being on a cruise ship with a bunch of people freaks me out on a good day. The thought of being trapped on a ship with thousands of people in a quarantine is enough to keep me from ever booking one. LOL

I have never been on one, and now its just reinforced.
Even if you decide not to go, don't cancel the non-cancellables/refundables if there's nothing to be gained: Wait for a waiver or cancellation by the provider

That's why some prefer small ships (200 and 70 out of a maximum 260 on my last cruise(s) though the quarantine effect is the same..

My tip to surviving quarantine copy of Civilization on your computer.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have a trip to HK coming up in a couple of months and I also am taking a view that, should the airline offer a refund, I'll take it, otherwise I'll hang in there and take a view immediately before travel. This is clearly going to get worse before it gets better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.