Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - what are companies doing

Coronavirus - what are companies doing

Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
In the past few days we've had a ban on all large meetings (doesn't matter where in the world they are) and cancellation of large beginning of the year sales kickoff events in AP (even those outside China).

I expect any AP travel this year will be limited to small, customer-driven meetings in places like Singapore, Australia, or Japan, but we won't see approval to attend any major events or meetings (internal or external) in AP for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Am I stupid for wanting to go to Thailand?
No - but I'd worry more about the pollution (I was wearing a n95 mask before the virus b/c of pollution )
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Interesting one with the company my wife works for.
She works at Marina Bay Financial Centre where there are 3 tower blocks. A case was confirmed at the weekend in tower 1 (Standard Chartered).
My wife works in tower 2 and her company has instructed everybody to work from home for the week. I know of other companies in the same tower block whose offices have not been shut down.
As my wife works for a very large global US company is this a case of over-reaction?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by invisible
When and where? Now and next couple of weeks - mostly fine.
Start of May. Thoughts?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
She works at Marina Bay Financial Centre where there are 3 tower blocks. A case was confirmed at the weekend in tower 1 (Standard Chartered).
My wife works in tower 2 and her company has instructed everybody to work from home for the week. I know of other companies in the same tower block whose offices have not been shut down.
As my wife works for a very large global US company is this a case of over-reaction?
Over-reaction, most likely. Out of place? Not really. A lot of lists of places to avoid because one person caught the virus there are floating around for HK and Singapore (I'm sure other places are as well) sometime in the past...

That said, you're seeing an "over-abundance of caution" with this thing as it is much more contagious... Multiple companies are pulling out of large gatherings to assuage their employees (MWC 2020 for example, LG, Amazon, Sony and others are pulling out or reducing their presence this year because of the virus).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Start of May. Thoughts?
Wait two more month. Before that situation is going to change quite often.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Better be safe than be sorry.
Err on side of caution!
Her company did the right thing. MHO.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
That said, you're seeing an "over-abundance of caution" with this thing as it is much more contagious... Multiple companies are pulling out of large gatherings to assuage their employees (MWC 2020 for example, LG, Amazon, Sony and others are pulling out or reducing their presence this year because of the virus).
And the latest news is that the whole Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona has been cancelled for this year. The reason is of course this coronavirus outbreak and its effects on companies.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Better be safe than be sorry.
Err on side of caution!
Her company did the right thing. MHO.
So following on from the other case in tower 3 (DBS), her company has now said work from home indefinitely...
Talking with friends we're of the conclusion that it's still way over-cautious and to an extent are they trying to shun their corporate responsibility to their employees?
By keeping people away from the office they can then claim the employees are out of their control and therefore not their responsibility...
Singapore is at DORSCON orange, where it's a companies duty to measure and record employees temperatures twice in the day and if something were to go down, it would be managed in a controlled manner. Now as her company has not provided means for employees to measure their temperatures they are in a way letting the employees down. DBS have provided means for their employees to monitor their health whilst away from the office.
Also by not having your employees in a controlled environment for most of the day (in the office) does it not increase their risk as they're now exposed to the whole environment more?
For instance my wife and her colleagues have already started to get cabin fever and now do meet up in coffees shops to work together which is a far less controller environment.
What one would think is a "cautious" approach does have it's pitfalls. As I've said her company is the only one that has instigated this move. The fact that they are unique in this does perhaps point to the fact they maybe taking the incorrect approach...
Time will only tell I guess.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
So following on from the other case in tower 3 (DBS), her company has now said work from home indefinitely...
Talking with friends we're of the conclusion that it's still way over-cautious and to an extent are they trying to shun their corporate responsibility to their employees?
By keeping people away from the office they can then claim the employees are out of their control and therefore not their responsibility...
Singapore is at DORSCON orange, where it's a companies duty to measure and record employees temperatures twice in the day and if something were to go down, it would be managed in a controlled manner. Now as her company has not provided means for employees to measure their temperatures they are in a way letting the employees down.
Infected patients may shed the virus before they get symptoms. source NEJM
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001468

The latest data suggests that the R (spread rate) is 4.08, (about twice as high as previously reported), that is 4 people are infected by each person with an infection.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....full.pdf+html
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by estnet
No - but I'd worry more about the pollution (I was wearing a n95 mask before the virus b/c of pollution )
depending on the type of pollution, a standard n95 mask is likely inadequate

there are different types of masks/filters depending on the substance being protected against
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mysterym
depending on the type of pollution, a standard n95 mask is likely inadequate

there are different types of masks/filters depending on the substance being protected against
Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about - do u even know what an n95 mask is and the type of pollution that is/was prevalent in Bangkok???
Yes, it does depend on the type of pollution - do u have any scientific background or any credentials that allow you to make such a rash statement? Of course any mask is only good if it is used correctly (which, sadly most people don't).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.