Reload this Page >

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED. PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2032204-support-animals-cabin-2021-onwards.html

Service and Support Animals (Updated)

Wednesday, December 2, 2020WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today announced that it is revising its Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) regulation on the transportation of service animals by air to ensure a safe and accessible air transportation system. The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals can be found HERE.

The Department received more than 15,000 comments on the notice of proposed rulemaking. The final rule announced today addresses concerns raised by individuals with disabilities, airlines, flight attendants, airports, other aviation transportation stakeholders, and other members of the public, regarding service animals on aircraft.

The final rule:
  • Defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability;
  • No longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal;
  • Requires airlines to treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require forms developed by DOT attesting to a service animal’s health, behavior and training, and if taking a long flight attesting that the service animal can either not relieve itself, or can relieve itself in a sanitary manner;
  • Allows airlines to require individuals traveling with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) up to 48 hours in advance of the date of travel if the passenger’s reservation was made prior to that time;
  • Prohibits airlines from requiring passengers with a disability who are traveling with a service animal to physically check-in at the airport instead of using the online check-in process;
  • Allows airlines to require a person with a disability seeking to travel with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) at the passenger’s departure gate on the date of travel;
  • Allows airlines to limit the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger with a disability to two service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the aircraft;
  • Allows airlines to require that service animals be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times in the airport and on the aircraft;
  • Continues to allow airlines to refuse transportation to service animals that exhibit aggressive behavior and that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others; and
  • Continues to prohibit airlines from refusing to transport a service animal solely based on breed.
The final rule will be effective 30 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.
Previous rule:

The main requirements of Part 382 regarding service animals are:

• Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with disabilities to accompany the persons on a flight. See section 382.55(a)(1–2).—Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.
—Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation or to comply with FAA regulations.

• If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c)).

• Carriers shall not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment, or services that are required by this part to be provided to qualified individuals with a disability (see section 382.57).

To determine whether an animal is a service animal and should be allowed to accompany its user in the cabin, airline personnel should:

1. Establish whether the animal is a pet or a service animal, and whether the passenger is a qualified individual with a disability; and then
2. Determine if the service animal presents either
• a ‘‘direct threat to the health or safety of others,’’ or
• a significant threat of disruption to the airline service in the cabin (i.e. a ‘‘fundamental alteration’’ to passenger service). See 382.7(c).

full text can be found: here.

United policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://hub.united.com/united-emotio...530539164.html

Delta policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-animals.html

American Airlines policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

There is a discussion of Emotional Support Animals on UA, but, as this is a growing topic and more relevant by the day, I think it deserves its own thread.

Any discussion on ESA's on Airlines is welcome in this thread.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

How easily can pigs fly for free? CBS News Article

A story from CBS News on how easy it is to get

The story can be found here.

A few quotes...

CBS News staffer Swainson Gill and his family pet dog, Pharaoh, were volunteers to demonstrate how easily pets can travel for free under those rules.

Pharaoh ported the required vest, but he is not an emotional support animal on official business.

...Emotional support animals are often mistaken for, but are not service animals, which are trained in specific tasks to assist people with disabilities.

...Anyone claiming an emotional need, with access to the internet, and a one-time fee of about $150 can apply for certification. That's about the same most passengers pay to travel -- each way -- with pets not considered an emotional support.

...The questionnaire was complete in less than five minutes. Two weeks later a letter confirming his dog as an emotional support animal arrived along with the official-looking vest.

...Within days Swainson and Pharaoh were on their way from New York to Washington, D.C. to take in the sites.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(bolding mine)

THAT is how easy it is to get a pet on the plane.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread from last week, still "closed pending moderator" review, so it's hard to add to it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...upport-bs.html

Maybe this is a topic we are not allowed to discuss?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Thread from last week, still closed pending moderator review, so it's hard to add to it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...upport-bs.html

Maybe this is a topic we are not allowed to discuss?
I wonder why not?

This is a topic clearly affecting all of us flying frequently. And a topic clearly many of us want to talk about.

I named it 'The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines' to hopefully allow all discussions and viewpoints. And certainly these two threads could be merged together to really make it The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
This is a topic clearly affecting all of us flying frequently. And a topic clearly many of us want to talk about.
No, it isn't. It's a local thing.

I named it 'The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines' to hopefully allow all discussions and viewpoints.
Most folk probably don't care, and naming it as such is just quite humorous. Try here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-usa-437/
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
No, it isn't. It's a local thing.
It affects all flyers.

Your link did not make any sense.

Simply shouting discussion down does not mean it is not relevant.

Feel free to unsubscribe to this thread if it is not an issue for you.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I don't understand why it's discrimination to ask for proof of training, I mean if you ask about it for all animals then it's hardly discriminating against anyone, they're all getting treated equally.

I have a slight disability due to a knee issue and I request early boarding to save standing, sometimes I get asked for proof but yet I don't see this as discriminatory, they're just doing their job by making sure i'm not a liar.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:21 pm

It affects all flyers.

Your link did not make any sense.

Simply shouting discussion down does not mean it is not relevant.

Feel free to unsubscribe to this thread if it is not an issue for you.
Most flyers will never come across an animal on a plane or an airline that permits it. It just wouldn't happen.

The link was there to point you to a forum where people may come across it.

It is not relevant to most of the world and pointing that out may help you out.

Unsubscribe and miss a "definitive" thread like this? No way.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Most flyers will never come across an animal on a plane or an airline that permits it. It just wouldn't happen.

The link was there to point you to a forum where people may come across it.

It is not relevant to most of the world and pointing that out may help you out.

Unsubscribe and miss a "definitive" thread like this? No way.
You are simply wrong. It is very relevant to all flyers. READ some of the posts about people with allergies. Maybe you will start to care.

MOST flights now have at least 1 animal in the cabin. My last 10 domestic flights... I counted at least 1 on 8 of them because most flights they pre-boarded. (3 was the max I saw on one flight... they all pre-boarded.)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've passed four "therapy dogs" in the last half hour at DEN C concourse.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was one on my last flight. It's owner was in 1A, bulkhead window in FC. It was a big dog and had a red vest, but otherwise didn't seem to be doing anything for the owner, not did the owner seem handicapped in any way. In fact, I pointedly told the owner how quiet her pet had been for most of the flight and she didn't correct my use of the word pet.

During the flight, the dog moved from the foot area for its owner into the area for her seat mate's feet. The seat mate responded by putting her feet up on the wall, with shoes on, thus leaving black scuff marks on a nice new fresh wall as the aircraft had had its interior updated very recently (since DL introduced C+ seats and the quilted seat covers). A little bit later in the flight the dog's nose and head were fully in the aisle, as were it's front paws, so that it was difficult for the FAs to serve FC passengers and also difficult for anyone to use the FC lavatory. No one argued with the dog or suggested that it be moved out of the aisle. In fact, one of the FAs petted it every time she walked past and the owner did not object or say that the dog was working and shouldn't be distracted.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was one on my last flight. It's owner was in 1A, bulkhead window in FC. It was a big dog and had a red vest, but otherwise didn't seem to be doing anything for the owner, not did the owner seem handicapped in any way. In fact, I pointedly told the owner how quiet her pet had been for most of the flight and she didn't correct my use of the word pet.

During the flight, the dog moved from the foot area for its owner into the area for her seat mate's feet. The seat mate responded by putting her feet up on the wall, with shoes on, thus leaving black scuff marks on a nice new fresh wall as the aircraft had had its interior updated very recently (since DL introduced C+ seats and the quilted seat covers). A little bit later in the flight the dog's nose and head were fully in the aisle, as were it's front paws, so that it was difficult for the FAs to serve FC passengers and also difficult for anyone to use the FC lavatory. No one argued with the dog or suggested that it be moved out of the aisle. In fact, one of the FAs petted it every time she walked past and the owner did not object or say that the dog was working and shouldn't be distracted.
That is the typical behavior of a pet - just wants to see what is going on. I am sure no one dare say anything in this PC world.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

You are simply wrong. It is very relevant to all flyers. READ some of the posts about people with allergies. Maybe you will start to care.

MOST flights now have at least 1 animal in the cabin. My last 10 domestic flights... I counted at least 1 on 8 of them because most flights they pre-boarded. (3 was the max I saw on one flight... they all pre-boarded.)
Write down where these 8 flights were from and to. Then write down the country next to the airport.

Do you see a pattern emerging?

As above, airlines in most countries, would not entertain the thought of an animal being brought onto a plane to provide emotional support. Dare I say it, but many find it laughable.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Write down where these 8 flights were from and to. Then write down the country next to the airport.

Do you see a pattern emerging?

As above, airlines in most countries, would not entertain the thought of an animal being brought onto a plane to provide emotional support. Dare I say it, but many find it laughable.
I think you are proving the point... most countries would not do this... yet the USA IS doing this... in a quickly growing pattern.

Read the posts above yours... you cannot walk down a terminal in the USA without encountering a pet... a mean ES... dog.

Glad we have this forum to track and share stories!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:05 pm

I think you are proving the point...
I'm glad we got there in the end.

Now perhaps the thread can be merged with one of the countless others in the approriate place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.