Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Euro coins: Which ones might be useful to have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Euro coins: Which ones might be useful to have?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I've been to Europe 10+ times over the past 18 months and haven't used cash a single time
Try this in Germany.

Still a huge cash society.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by MareLuce
how do you tip?
Depending on the country and sort of establishment, either you don't or you tell the server what amount to put in the card machine, e.g. the bill shows up for €28.15 and you say "30 please".
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: QRPC
Originally Posted by MareLuce
how do you tip?
Not necessary in Western Europe.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Splendiz
Not necessary in Western Europe.
I know that is the custom. But one person I always want to tip is the person who cleans my room - 2 Euro + 1 Euro coin.

Second person is the porter who goes above and beyond
i.e., in Austria, the porter who took extra time with 1) Directions 2) All my bags (enough for 2 weeks of work AND play clothes) AND brought me a bucket of ice AND the directions turned out perfect

The upcharging a CC amount doesn't work in those scenarios.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Try this in Germany.

I do this quite frequently, although it'd be a lot harder without my Maestro card.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Try this in Germany.

I live in Germany and almost the only thing I use cash for is to pay our cleaner and to tip my barber. And in some smaller bars.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I know it's not quite the same, but I went to Northern Ireland last weekend with my son. I had no cash in my wallet and didn't fancy paying at the airport to access my own money. Also didn't fancy trying to get a shop back home in the bit of little England where I live trying to handle a Danske Bank sterling banknote (which they should do, but it confuses some people). So I had a go at going card only for the weekend, and succeeded perfectly, Uber, hotel, shops, restaurants, museums and bars all happily accepted card payments. Didn't need to visit an ATM. I have a trolley token in my wallet if I'd needed it, but I didn't.

So I'd say in most places it's possible. Not sure if I'd be totally happy risking it in some of the 'newer' countries yet, though.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I know it's not quite the same, but I went to Northern Ireland last weekend with my son. I had no cash in my wallet and didn't fancy paying at the airport to access my own money. Also didn't fancy trying to get a shop back home in the bit of little England where I live trying to handle a Danske Bank sterling banknote (which they should do, but it confuses some people). So I had a go at going card only for the weekend, and succeeded perfectly, Uber, hotel, shops, restaurants, museums and bars all happily accepted card payments. Didn't need to visit an ATM. I have a trolley token in my wallet if I'd needed it, but I didn't.

So I'd say in most places it's possible. Not sure if I'd be totally happy risking it in some of the 'newer' countries yet, though.
Newer countries (not quite sure what you mean) are more likely to be card friendly.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Newer countries (not quite sure what you mean) are more likely to be card friendly.
Apologies, a bit "handwavingy". I was implying some of the less developed economies of the Balkans. Then realised that I've moved away from the Eurozone if I'm referring to the likes of North Macedonia anyway. I'm not adding to the discussion so it's best to just ignore me.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I live in Germany and almost the only thing I use cash for is to pay our cleaner and to tip my barber. And in some smaller bars.
Are you using something with a Visa or MC logo or a girocard? If the latter, that's probably a big reason why you're having as much success as you are. (OTOH, I've also heard that Visa/MC acceptance has significantly increased, so perhaps it isn't as big of a deal anymore.)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:40 am
Suspended

Approximately 85% Amex and 15% MC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.