Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Euro coins: Which ones might be useful to have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Euro coins: Which ones might be useful to have?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by savonarola
If you are religious, why not use them to light candles in churches?
This also applies if you're twelve or fourteen. When they discovered it could involve handling candles, my grandchildren suddenly found religion in the church of St. Germain-des-près.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
I've found that self checkouts, where they exist, are a convenient way to get rid of those small (and large) denomination coins. They allow partial payment with cash and card. Plus you wont have to overcome a language barrier with a cashier when trying to pay.
If you are in Finland and encounter a self-service checkout, the payment method will be card only. For cash payments you will need a manned checkout. And if you pay with cash, the sum will be rounded to the nearest 5 cents, therefor in practice you won't encounter 1 and 2 cent coins in Finland. Card payments on the other hand are not rounded, thus if you are a cheapskate you may choose the payment method depending on whether the sum would be rounded down or up if paid with cash.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am not sure that the meaning and relevance of being legal tender is uniformly applicable for private commercial transactions across the €-using countries and EU.
I know it isn't Eurozone, but in the UK, "Legal Tender" has a very specific legal meaning unrelated to whether or not a private company will accept that payment method or not. A private company can accept whichever payment method they choose.
Legal Tender relates to what combinations of coins and notes can be offered to pay a debt without being prosecuted for non-payment.

In England and Wales, for instance, only banknotes issued by the Bank of England and coins issued by the Royal Mint are legal tender, and even then, bronze coins can only be used to pay debts to the value of 20p. In Scotland and Northern Ireland only Royal Mint coins are, so while a Clydesdale Bank or Danske Bank issued sterling banknote might be an accepted method of payment in England, it isn't "Legal Tender" in the legal sense of the term. Buying goods from a shop does not constitute a debt as the payment is made before the goods are delivered.

Different Eurozone countries apply their own rules to this. Bronze coins are only legal tender in the Eurozone countries which issue them. Even then, custom and practice is that the maximum number of coins accepted as legal tender is 50, and this is applied legally in the Republic of Ireland, for instance.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:42 am

I just deposit coins into my PostBank account at the machine (only works for account holders, but an easy solution in cash dominant Germany where coins add up quickly)

British coin I just use as payment at a self checkout.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
If you are in Finland and encounter a self-service checkout, the payment method will be card only. For cash payments you will need a manned checkout. And if you pay with cash, the sum will be rounded to the nearest 5 cents, therefor in practice you won't encounter 1 and 2 cent coins in Finland. Card payments on the other hand are not rounded, thus if you are a cheapskate you may choose the payment method depending on whether the sum would be rounded down or up if paid with cash.
Interesting. The cities where i've used them offered at least some machines that took cash. Germany also does rounding to the nearest 5 cents but still takes the 1 and 2 cent coins, even with partial payment.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Interesting. The cities where i've used them offered at least some machines that took cash. Germany also does rounding to the nearest 5 cents but still takes the 1 and 2 cent coins, even with partial payment.
I have never noticed any rounding in Germany. I still get 1c and 2c coins in change.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No rounding in Germany.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:00 am

Interesting. The cities where i've used them offered at least some machines that took cash.
Let me add that I was referring to self-service counters in stores, there might be still some vending machines that may offer cash payments, although the trend is clearly towards cashless payments since handling physical money can be rather expensive. Even many bank branches in Finland may no longer offer services to withdraw or deposit cash or if they do then the opening hours are likely quite limited. Of course, it is possible there is still an ATM (possibly even with option deposit money) in the same building, but generally Finnish bank branches seem to concentrate on offering loans and investment intruments and the daily banking tasks are directed to self-services (mostly online nowadays).
Germany also does rounding to the nearest 5 cents but still takes the 1 and 2 cent coins, even with partial payment.
I think that may not be true. And strictly speaking you could pay with 1 and 2 cent coins also in Finland since they are legal tender, although obviously the sum would be rounded to nearest 5 cents and you would have to bring those coins from elsewhere since those are not in common circulation here.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The problem has gotten less with my newer chip credit cards, but I still occasionally have issues buying European train tickets from a kiosk using my American credit cards. I always try to arrive in Europe with a little bit of cash on hand just in case. Sometimes I need it, sometimes not.

The 1 or 2 euro coins would be worth carrying. Probably wouldn't bother with anything smaller than that unless you foresee yourself using the paid street toilets found in some cities. I've been to Europe dozens of times and have never used one of those.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

i really wish i took all my Euro coin
am out of what I packed

HEY post pics too!

here's my example:
Never experienced being charged for a shopping cart before.
Paralyzed by choice of coin needed... I grabbed a free basket, which became quite heavy for my Hotel Room Liquids shopping adventure

Billa grocery store, Vienna Austria

Last edited by MareLuce; Jan 27, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by MareLuce
am out of what I packed

HEY post pics too!

here's my example:
Paralyzed by choice of coin needed... I grabbed a basket, which became quite heavy for my Hotel Room Liquids shopping adventure

The is normal is Austria. I'm pretty sure the ones at my local Spar accept 50c, 1.00 or 2.00 coins.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I tried to get 5 Euro changed into coin when I checked out at a Bipa but they couldn't give change.
I need to find a bank to get more coin.
Some told me the Austria post offices are like banks (not their exact words...)?

I walked to one via Google Maps but it was not a staffed post office, just a drop box.
I wish I spoke German!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by MareLuce
am out of what I packed

HEY post pics too!

here's my example:
Paralyzed by choice of coin needed... I grabbed a free basket, which became quite heavy for my Hotel Room Liquids shopping adventure

Ehh.. you don't get the coin back when you return the cart? I wouldn't call it a charge but rather a deposit (or, an "asset preservation strategy") as shopping carts tend to run away if left to their on choices.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Remind us why you didn't take all your euro change?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So you didn’t follow our advice...
ajGoes and The_Bouncer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.