Hotels throttling down water flow in room bathrooms

Old Jan 12, 20, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It seems like more and more hotels are in on greenwashing to pad their financial statements’ bottom lines, and one of the greenwashing ways which doesn’t grab headlines as much as plastic use reduction efforts is the reduction of water consumption/use.

I am finding hotels in Europe and in North America are increasingly changing/replacing their hotel rooms’ bathroom fixtures to reduce the water flow rate. The hotels are doing so in ways that make it difficult for people to wash down as completely and quickly as used to be the case before the throttling down of water flow in the bathrooms. This is an issue that makes it even more difficult for those with a lot of hair on their head or even body to wash down as comprehensively and quickly as used to be the case before this kind of greenwashing effort started to spread as it has. The hotels throttling of the water flow makes it a lot harder for a proper hair washing to be done using shampoo and then conditioner, and it also makes it difficult for families to shower down their kids as easily/quickly/comprehensively as before.

In some cases, hotel guests can unscrew and temporarily remove the fixtures to increase the water flow, but that possibility to remove water-releasing fixtures (so as to increase water flow rate) is not a given when it comes to the faucets and it’s not even a given with all shower heads. Getting rid of bathtubs in hotel rooms may also be part and parcel of reduced water use-related greenwashing by hotels.

What’s the point of making large bathrooms and making them look better than before when the bathrooms function worse for hotel room guests than they used to do so? “All hat, no cattle” and “dog and pony show” come to mind when thinking of these hotel room’s updated bathrooms.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United
You actually might find going a day without shampoo and conditioner might be actually be good for yer head and hair. Otherwise just use less soap ...
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:08 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Interesting.
I recently stayed at Andaz Tokyo where the bathroom sink's stopper was positioned super-low and the sink filled up right away unless you ran the water super-low or you kept turning off the faucet after a couple seconds. The water drained well, and everything else worked fine in the bathroom. So I wonder if this was set up that way on purpose for water conservation. If so, it was very annoying to deal with.
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:39 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It's intended to save water, which would add up to a significant amount over thousands of guests. You can simply use less soap/shampoo, or spend an extra minute or two in the shower. Not really an issue to me. I seldom use shampoo while traveling unless it's an extended trip.
Redhead and IBJoel like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
You actually might find going a day without shampoo and conditioner might be actually be good for yer head and hair. Otherwise just use less soap ...
Just because it works for you to avoid using shampoo, conditioner and soap use like you do for your kind of travel doesn’t mean it works for everyone else to avoid using shampoo and conditioner and soap like you do when staying at hotels.

This kind of throttling down of water flow rates in hotel room bathrooms may not be a problem for you, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t create challenges (for others) which you may not care about or even face but that others do face because of the throttling down arrangements hotels are increasingly putting into the hotel bathrooms.
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:42 am

Most countries legally restrict water flow rate. In the US some states may have stricter regulations. I suspect most hotels use regular fixtures that comply with the law.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Most countries legally restrict water flow rate. In the US some states may have stricter regulations. I suspect most hotels use regular fixtures that comply with the law.
Hotels complying with government-prescribed laws and regulations are not the reason for hotels’ greenwashing efforts that now cover restricting water flow rates to below what may be required by law/regulation.

I would be very surprised if there is a law/regulation that says the water flow rate allowed in the more expensive hotel suites’ bathrooms at a given property (or perhaps even in a given locality) is allowed to be greater than in the other bathrooms at the same property (when controlling for relevant building permit year) and yet there is this kind of throttling and throttling discrepancy now going on at some properties in Europe and in North America.

“Water-efficient” toilets that use less water to flush the toilet isn’t disruptive for hotel guests in the way that throttling down water flow rates in the rest of the bathroom is. Tub-removal/exclusion, shallower sinks, (bidet-removal/exclusion in some places) and water faucets and shower heads with greatly-reduced water flow rates (reduced to well-beyond what is allowed by local laws/regulations) is where I can see some hotel guest experiences getting compromised substantially by the hotels’ voluntary changes in this regard.

Water use by hotels (and hotel guests too) = real costs on the hotel’s utility bills. On average, it been at least or around 10% of that. And the related (per-volume-unit) costs for water use on the utility bills has been rising in parts, adding yet more incentive to make the hotel bathrooms function differently than before and yet try to make more of a show of them in ways.

The hotel bathroom changes that prompted my putting up this thread are related to the hotels doing this to pad their bank accounts when the changes aren’t required by law/regulation.
readywhenyouare likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 13, 20 at 8:44 am
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA
It's interesting. In hundreds of nights of travel over several years, I've never - not once - lacked the water pressure to 'comprehensively' rinse myself and my head of hair off in less than 30 seconds. I must be extremely lucky!
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:33 pm

Surely if the flow is restricted then people will spend longer in there to get the same results? Net effect on water consumption is therefore zero. If I do experience it I'll get up 2 minutes earlier, or 4 if I'm sharing.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have had many experiences with “air showers” in hotels. I hate them but I lived.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:22 pm

I think it isn't a "might" but a "definite". However, you have to get used to that itchy feeling, and figure out some way of not smelling.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by backprop View Post
It's interesting. In hundreds of nights of travel over several years, I've never - not once - lacked the water pressure to 'comprehensively' rinse myself and my head of hair off in less than 30 seconds. I must be extremely lucky!
I think we cannot determine if you are lucky or not until you tell us the quantity of hair on your head
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Just because it works for you to avoid using shampoo, conditioner and soap use like you do for your kind of travel doesn’t mean it works for everyone else to avoid using shampoo and conditioner and soap like you do when staying at hotels.

This kind of throttling down of water flow rates in hotel room bathrooms may not be a problem for you, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t create challenges (for others) which you may not care about or even face but that others do face because of the throttling down arrangements hotels are increasingly putting into the hotel bathrooms.
Have you even tried to adjust your habits? Otherwise it kinda hard to take your complaint serious. I mean what are ya gonna do? Check out and walk to another hotel?
milski and jgor like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Have you even tried to adjust your habits? Otherwise it kinda hard to take your complaint serious. I mean what are ya gonna do? Check out and walk to another hotel?
Fill the bathtub for use (instead of using just the shower and/or sink) may be an option. Temporarily removing bathroom fixtures may be an option. Using the ice box container in the room as a bucket of sorts may be an option. Book another hotel may be an option. Ask for a room change may be an option. Book residential properties instead of the hotel may be an option. Push for a penalty-free cancellation or refund — even after check-in — and go to another property in the area may be an option.
NPF likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 13, 20 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
As someone who goes to the gym every day and lives in a very humid state, I don't think anyone around me would appreciate if I started neglecting my hygiene.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: