Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why Do Americans Tolerate "Gate Waiting?"

Why Do Americans Tolerate "Gate Waiting?"

Old Dec 29, 19, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
the plane can be scheduled for a gate before 30-45min. its's a deliberate design in a few airports for various reasons.

(eg LHR, force you to remain in common area to shop. other airports, don't want to build more seats in gate area. while some airports use common gates, so an airline may not know exactly what gate to use compared to the big3 stateside controlling an entire terminal)

KEF airport grew too fast, have to use bus gates (though with WOW gone, it may be better)
Yeah, well I don't like waiting in a common area. I want to go closer to my gate, grab a seat, and calmly wait without having to pay attention.
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Also, say I was flying CHS-ORD-PEK-SIN in January.

I would need an entire set of clothes just for the bus ride and remote stands - no thanks, I'll wait and use the jet bridge
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Also, say I was flying CHS-ORD-PEK-SIN in January.

I would need an entire set of clothes just for the bus ride and remote stands - no thanks, I'll wait and use the jet bridge
Those buses suck. Occasionally, if you are flying F or J, they will bus your group separately so it's a bit more relaxing. But if it's one bus for all, then they smash passengers in there like sardines. Very uncomfortable. Hard pass on that experience, I'm okay waiting at the gate to avoid that.
Spiff and travelmad478 like this.
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
What is very annoying is pulling up to a jet bridge at FRA and still disembarking via airstair and bus. Has happened to me more times than I can count.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:11 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
Gate 35X

At DCA, buses are on the way out. https://www.flyreagan.com/dca/new-co...nside-design-0

"When the new concourse opens in 2021, 14 gates with jetbridges will replace the busing system, and the less-than-pleasing traits of Gate 35X will be retired"
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AADFW View Post
Anyone care to enlighten me?
I believe it may have something to do with ACAA, i.e. the law makes it more difficult to use temporary facilities like bus gates.
Old Dec 29, 19, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I would add that another advantage of arriving at a stand is that generally the bus takes you much closer to Passport control. However departure is a different thing: much better on a stand. Good airports and airlines solve this by towing the plane to a gate when one becomes available for boarding.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:16 am
Suspended

As others have mentioned there is some bussing in the US where there is a need and where it makes sense.

A number of US airports have also created areas where you essentially are walking on the tarmac under covered walkways to handle regional jets, so this takes away the shortage of jet bridge gates at many European and Asian airports. Also, the AA regional jet terminal at LAX is essentially one big set of bussing gates.

For the most part, IMO, the reason you arrive early is the airlines have padded the schedule, so if you had a shorter wait to takeoff or weren't held up by ATC, you're going to end up waiting for a gate when you arrived since the earlier flight hasn't departed. For the airline, they still will have plenty of time to turn your plane, as you likely will arrive at the gate approximately at your scheduled arrival. In other words, from an airline point of view, there's no problem, and there is no efficiency to offset the extra capital costs of creating bus stands.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'd much rather wait for a jet bridge instead of use bus gates. I hate the slogging of luggage up and down the stairs, and cramming into the bus, and I'm not particularly steady on my feet on moving vehicles. And bus gates are worse for premium cabin passengers who disembark first and end up furthest from the door of the bus do they are later into the terminal.
Spiff, MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:07 am

This thread seems to be based on the belief that passenger have some magical power to collectively tell airports how they should operate. Passengers don't have that power.

So, the notion that passengers within a given country tolerate anything this false. They have no choice in how they access planes. If you don't like how things work, your only choice is to not fly.

(Technically, I guess someone could organize some social media campaign to pressure airports to change how they do things. But, that sort of thing will never happen. Most Americans don't travel enough to care about this issue.)
Cardboard55 and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:59 am

One big positive of bus gates is that they provide the ability to board from both the front and rear of the aircraft, which is awesome. The only problem is that sometimes there are not enough buses, creating a bottleneck.
Old Dec 30, 19, 6:07 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post

KEF airport grew too fast, have to use bus gates (though with WOW gone, it may be better)
KEF has a huge addition underway. Looked to be a year away when we were there this September. Longer walk, even, from the check in area.
Old Dec 30, 19, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by blueflyer3 View Post
One big positive of bus gates is that they provide the ability to board from both the front and rear of the aircraft, which is awesome. The only problem is that sometimes there are not enough buses, creating a bottleneck.
Australia domestic single aisle, they manage to board from tarmac (front&back), no buses. You do get to experience the natural elements though

For liability reasons, don't think this will ever catch on in USA? Closest is boarding regional planes from front door via tarmac

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...de6d66b46877a2
Old Dec 30, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
Part of the problem might be that stairs seem to be almost forbidden possibly due to US handicapped regulations. However, there are ramps now, such as in Long Beach and Paine Field (Washington).
A couple years back, I ended up on a number of American regional jets during the same time frame when I was dealing with an injury that made bending my left knee difficult. The stairs from apron to plane at places like CLT were decidedly less than fun
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
This thread seems to be based on the belief that passenger have some magical power to collectively tell airports how they should operate. Passengers don't have that power.

So, the notion that passengers within a given country tolerate anything this false. They have no choice in how they access planes. If you don't like how things work, your only choice is to not fly.

(Technically, I guess someone could organize some social media campaign to pressure airports to change how they do things. But, that sort of thing will never happen. Most Americans don't travel enough to care about this issue.)
Absurd comment. Of course people all across the United States have collective influence over the manner in which airports are designed. In Kansas City, just for example, a citizen's advisory group was formed to make a recommendation to the City Council on one of three plans for the future of the Kansas City International Airport. Local governments that oversee airport construction routinely involve citizens in contributing to airport design decisions. This is actually the rule rather than the exception in the United States.

Also, 1.73 million passengersfly domestically every single day. The average American takes 6.5 flights per year.And a record 93 million Americans traveled abroad last year -- about half of those overseas.

You should be really embarrassed for having posted this drivel. Please don't comment if you are going to spread misinformation based purely upon conjecture.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: