Wiki Posts
Search

Marriage proposal in transatlantic J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, TK Elite+, HHonors Gold, FB, UA, AA
Originally Posted by nancypants
Well. I’ve been trying to arrange a trip to Japan as a treat for my godson who recently finished 5 years of chemotherapy. Apparently they can’t organise anything in advance for that

but proposals and wedding anniversaries is ok

maybe I should email and tell them he’s going to drop the question
Quite unfortunate that it's not possible to organize something for a child out of 5 years of chemo
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, TK Elite+, HHonors Gold, FB, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bwiadca
The crew didn't want to hear anything about the money for the champagne. They even put a bow on the bottle. I've asked for mini bottle but they've brought full size. It was kind of embarrassing for me leaving the 'sterile' area of the airport with my bag in one hand and bottle of open champagne in the other hand The border guys didn't pull me for secondary inspection

I didn't pick the aircraft, it was second flight of the day and of course the only flight out of 4 that is scheduled in DHC-8. I didn't mind as it was also in special colors
Well, it would be a good story to tell for the border guards too. Also, from a legal perspective, you can bring 2-4 bottles in depending on the country, so no issues here either.

In terms of the aircraft, at the end of the day, a plane is a plane. As a bonus, you got the colorful livery too.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
talking to god on the big white telephone?
Erm, no. Put it this way, it would have been hard for me to refuse
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
talking to god on the big white telephone?
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Erm, no. Put it this way, it would have been hard for me to refuse
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well, in that vein, I had a fiancée whose proposal to me came at a point where she may well have been on bended knee, but was also *ahem* having difficulty getting the words out of her mouth, for one reason or another.

Now THAT was tacky. Although at least not done on a plane!

And no, we never got married!
In other words, she was on bended knee(s) and there was something in her mouth preventing her from getting the words out clearly.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:45 pm

If OP goes through with it, he's getting a bunch of strangers involved where chances are maybe 1/2 will think it's cool and be happy for them, 1/3 will not give a hoot, and the remaining 1/6 might not think well of it. I think it's inevitable that there will be someone in the cabin who will find it tacky and annoying.

Marriage proposal is supposed to be a very special moment for the two of you. If it were me, I wouldn't want any such negative vibe.
nancypants and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dmitriy55
Well, it would be a good story to tell for the border guards too. Also, from a legal perspective, you can bring 2-4 bottles in depending on the country, so no issues here either.

In terms of the aircraft, at the end of the day, a plane is a plane. As a bonus, you got the colorful livery too.
In some countries, walking through the terminal with the open bottle, walking out of the building with it, or taking it in a car/taxi/public transportation would be a problem.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF WP
I will say, as much as I am against this there are definitely worse ways. One bloke proposed to me by waking me up from a nap (post night shift) to ask. Now THAT is a truly, truly awful idea
dmitriy55 and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
This showed up on my Twitter feed earlier:
https://abc11.com/society/couple-eng...ondon/5785468/
dmitriy55 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’ve sat in J on planes and generally haven’t paid attention to other pax unless they need something from a nearby overhead. I probably wouldn’t notice a proposal. I wouldn’t feel bothered or disturbed if someone had a proposal. It would be sweet. Some pax won’t like it and that’s fine. Dont bother them and they’ll be fine :-)

hope the proposal goes great - keep us posted!
dmitriy55 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gigantor
Originally Posted by dmitriy55

...The idea is to do it semi-publicly, e.g. not quietly in the adjacent herringbone seats, but the whole 'getting down on one knee' thing in the isle....
Are you planning a water landing?
I wonder if his fiancée really just requested a 'plain proposal'.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by ordx
I wonder if his fiancée really just requested a 'plain proposal'.

You just upped the ante!!!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: QRPC
I will say, as much as I am against this there are definitely worse ways. One bloke proposed to me by waking me up from a nap (post night shift) to ask. Now THAT is a truly, truly awful idea
lol what did you reply?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Well this one was always going to polarise people, wasn't it? If you want genuinely helpful advice (and not "Do it!" "Don't do it!") then how about the advice I was given and that I have since passed on. Have an idea where and when you want to propose but then don't overthink it, and don't overplan it. That way, if you get to the time and the place and it doesn't feel right you can bail out and move on without your ego being damaged or your wallet being depleted.

I knew a guy who paid for a string quartet on the roof of a Barcelona hotel with private dinner and champagne for the evening. On the evening the weather was cold, overcast and a bit breezy and his girlfriend had had a sleepless night the previous night and just wanted to Netflix, no chill. He persisted anyway and it was a miserable evening where he proposed anyway and she burst into tears (not the good kind). Had he not been in the hole for two grand he would have rescheduled without a thought.

My best mate had planned to propose in a revolving restaurant in Australia. I'd given him the above advice, so when they got there and the evening was a bit flat he calmly shelved it. Three days later they were blissfully alone in waist deep water on a three mile sun-kissed beach with not another person in sight. Perfect. My proposal went to plan (on top of a mountain on Christmas day) but I wasn't tied down to it so I was relaxed and it was better for it.

Only you will know whether your (friend's?) SO will appreciate a proposal at any given time. If you're meant to be together then you will know.

I also know someone who proposed on a plane where it went well. He told me that if everything (check-in, flight on time, CC service, partner's mood) had not been absolutely perfect then he wouldn't have done it. He wanted his proposal to be the icing and cherry on a perfect cake.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Splendiz
lol what did you reply?
I said “ugh”, rolled over and went back to sleep
milski, strickerj and Splendiz like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the follow-up to this thread: divorce papers served in transatlantic Y?
strickerj and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.