FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Subway (mass transit) systems (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1998491-subway-mass-transit-systems.html)

mhrb Dec 18, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31849532)
How's it even possible someone could know this off handedly?!

What

mhrb Dec 18, 2019 10:32 am

What is challenging about remembering three brief facts?

moondog Dec 18, 2019 10:37 am

I'm guessing he used Wikipedia as an initial source. While I realize that lots of people poo poo Wikipedia, I use it often when doing research stuff:
-obviously the articles themselves are prone to bias and errors, but they usually contain references to more reputable sources
-I really like their standard formatting, which is invaluable when investigating things like airlines and airports

Visconti Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mhrb (Post 31853129)
What is challenging about remembering three brief facts?

For me? Incredibly challenging, not that it matters. Now, without having to reference the post, I can't even recall those three facts as I post this reply. Something about Shanghai, New York and Paris?

pinniped Dec 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31853305)
For me? Incredibly challenging, not that it matters. Now, without having to reference the post, I can't even recall those three facts as I post this reply. Something about Shanghai, New York and Paris?

Something about trains. Ones that go a long way. Crowded ones. Ones that stop a lot.

Which subway system operates the longest trains? (By number of rail cars per train or total length of all rail cars in a single train.) Important questions, people!

stimpy Dec 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 31853498)
Which subway system operates the longest trains? (By number of rail cars per train or total length of all rail cars in a single train.) Important questions, people!

It seems that NYC has 10 cars in a set. It's been years since I rode the subway in Beijing, and according to Wiki it has changed a lot! But it seems they have less cars, but can hold more people. Maybe someone knows more.

moondog Dec 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 31853641)
It seems that NYC has 10 cars in a set. It's been years since I rode the subway in Beijing, and according to Wiki it has changed a lot! But it seems they have less cars, but can hold more people. Maybe someone knows more.

In spite of the fact that I'm only 2 hours away from Beijing, I also don't go there very often these days, but let me add a few thoughts:
-the stations, as massive as they are, can only support 8 car trains
-2 minute intervals help alleviate the capacity problem a bit

paperwastage Dec 19, 2019 9:30 am

Or you can be like Japan/Tokyo, and run subway lines at 180% rated capacity during morning peak

(Rated capacity = # seats + # straps that standing passengers can hold onto)

At least in NYC, people don't like when you push/squish and would verbally complain - in Tokyo, it's accepted

teebs Dec 20, 2019 6:46 am

Originally Posted by mhrb (Post 31850995)
I have only personally travelled on about 30-40 major subway systems so I might not have the greatest experience but I find it staggering that a city like London does so well on many counts (signage, maps, payment methods) but completely fails compared to other cities on others (e.g. air conditioned carriages and evaporative platform cooling compared to Buenos Aires, only just introducing night tube in the fricking 21st century, etc.)

It's the age of the system - disdavtanges of being the oldest in the world. The deep lines (most of the London Underground) were built when tunneling technology wasn't what it is today and so the trains and tunnels are too small to handle air conditioning and rebuilding platforms, stations, cooling systems etc would cost a fortune. The sub-surface lines (shallower lines with full size tunnels) all have air conditioned trains now.

WilcoRoger Dec 22, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 31848975)
All depends on your definition of biggest...

Shanghai is largest by route length
Beijing is largest by ridership
NYC is largest by number of stations

Are we talking about the Tokyo Metro, or all Tokyo mass transit on rail underground? It makes a BIG difference!

Kevin AA Dec 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 31853641)

In NYC, the number of cars on a train depends on the type of car. The shorter cars have 10 cars to a train while the longer cars have 8 cars to a train. The total length of the train is exactly the same... the length of the platform minus just a few feet. The conductors are very good at racing into the station and slamming on the brakes at the right time to come to a stop at the right place.

jbjelloid Dec 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Just a shoutout to clean, reliable and uncrowded Kaohsiung MRT for its easy airport access and 2 awesome stations; Central Park and Formosa.

kasmersensei Dec 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by kimikoftokyo (Post 31852138)
I have never been to Taipei but I’m going to now ! You said all of the magic words. I’m here for the weather of course and the setting.

Weather in winter? Hope you like rain!

kasmersensei Dec 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Travlinteach (Post 31848623)
Sorry, folks. I hate to tell you that you are all wrong, but when I don't even see Moscow on the first page, I need to set things right. Moscow has the best metro system in the world. First of all, let's forget the fact that Moscow has absolutely THE MOST BEAUTIFUL stations in the world. They are like works of art, with statues, mosaics, artwork, marble, bronzes. Feel free to google a few of my faves--Novoslobodskaya, Mayakovskaya, Komsomolskaya. No let's forget that--let's talk about efficiency. Did I mention the trains run every 90 seconds? Yeah, that's right. You don't need to go running at breakneck speed to catch your train--there is literally one behind it in 90 seconds. Wherever you go in Moscow, you are usually only 2 blocks away from a metro station. And the crossings from adjoining stations are underground, so you needn't come all the way up and buy another ticket. No, you can travel around on the one ticket. Also, they are clean--an army of cleaners work to keep them spotless, and another army of metro police keep them safe. So my vote goes to Moscow.

We liked the beauty of some stations (wanted to do a subway tour, but couldn’t reserve it in time). One possible negative (besides the system not being so extensive like Tokto’s) would be the depth of most platforms. The escalators are very, very long, perhaps some 15-20 floors deep! Bit scary when navigating with luggage.

sambagrrl07 Dec 23, 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by kimikoftokyo (Post 31852138)
I have never been to Taipei but I’m going to now ! You said all of the magic words. I’m here for the weather of course and the setting.

And the FOOD!