FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you get more exhausted traveling the older you get? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1997719-do-you-get-more-exhausted-traveling-older-you-get.html)

SkiAdcock Dec 1, 2019 7:04 pm

A 24 hour day is tiring regardless of age.

readywhenyouare Dec 1, 2019 7:09 pm

Ouch. Was there a reason you couldn't get on a nonstop LHR-DFW?

enviroian Dec 1, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 31794436)
Ouch. Was there a reason you couldn't get on a nonstop LHR-DFW?

Business saver award. That was the best their was.

Efrem Dec 1, 2019 7:20 pm

At 77 I don't get any more tired than I did when I was 30. The reason: I'm more willing to spend on business (or at least real PE) tickets. I can take an extra day or two to rest up and get used to a time change before getting into serious activities. I take the time/spend the money to treat myself better in every other way. I'd probably get more exhausted if I tried to maintain the same schedule and traveling conditions as I did then, but I don't have to - so I don't.

enviroian Dec 1, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 31794458)
At 77 I don't get any more tired than I did when I was 30. The reason: I'm more willing to spend on business (or at least real PE) tickets. I can take an extra day or two to rest up and get used to a time change before getting into serious activities. I take the time/spend the money to treat myself better in every other way. I'd probably get more exhausted if I tried to maintain the same schedule and traveling conditions as I did then, but I don't have to - so I don't.

Sounds like a very reasonable and logical plan.

annerj Dec 1, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm mid 40s and pretty good to go on the way out with a long/heavy schedule, its when I get home and sit down that it hits me hard.

That said the last time I flew into vegas with a packed schedule and no hotel destroyed me, I think those days are in my rear view.

GadgetFreak Dec 1, 2019 7:35 pm

Yes. Some of that may be because I was very sick about 4 years ago. But I was noticing the one day trips from JFK-NRT and such were wearing on me as I got older. About 5 years ago I did a RTW leaving on Monday and returning the following Saturday and did a “what in the hell did I just do to myself”. ;).

gaobest Dec 1, 2019 11:31 pm

I would be exhausted by PRG-LHR-IAD/DCA-DFW at any age, especially with the stress and uncertainty of possibly missing a flight. I read your BA TRs and they didn’t sound like there was enough opportunity for a good nap.

so hopefully you don’t have too much Monday work and you have a chance to rest or at least get extra morning slumber.

Also if you woke up at 4am, what time did you go to beddy-bye? Hopefully around 8p but I can picture you not hitting the hay until 10-11p at the earliest!

Annalisa12 Dec 2, 2019 3:10 am

I'm not sure if it is tiredness from being older but just not being enthused about travel any more. Remember your first trip and how excited you were, or the first time you sat in business/first class? You thought nothing could eclipse that. Well after a while you just get bored with it. Well I do. That's what makes me feel tired.

jerseygirl Dec 2, 2019 5:31 am

All of the TSA long lines with taking off and taking on add to the stress, also time. Remember the days when you could get to airport half hour prior to flight?

USA_flyer Dec 2, 2019 5:47 am

I dunno. My 9 year old gets very cranky at the end of a long day of flying. Last time we flew LHR-LAX she had a full on meltdown in the immigration queue.

Jaimito Cartero Dec 2, 2019 5:48 am

20 years ago, I’d be happy to fly coach for a weekend stay in Europe, or Asia. Now, I wouldn’t take it even if offered for free in coach. Biz or F, would be a bit of a dilemma. Still probably no, unless I could extend it for 2 weeks.

USA_flyer Dec 2, 2019 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 31795529)
20 years ago, I’d be happy to fly coach for a weekend stay in Europe, or Asia. Now, I wouldn’t take it even if offered for free in coach. Biz or F, would be a bit of a dilemma. Still probably no, unless I could extend it for 2 weeks.

Wouldn't it depend where and how far though. I'd definitely take the opportunity to fly to a city I haven't been to before - even in coach - even for a weekend.

bitterproffit Dec 2, 2019 6:47 am

Business travel used to wear me out in my 40s. Especially the week long trips overseas with my boss. We would go from 7 AM and not get back to the hotel room until after 10 PM . Usually it was travel time, meetings, plant tours, business dinners, etc. I was always 'on' and it wore me out.

15 years later, my trips are all leisurely and I give myself a little recovery time when they are done.

Even still, I find myself needing a nap or two. But now, I can take them.

Sometimes extra long flights wear me out and I need to take longer sleeps, but so far, I have found the pace to be ok.

enviroian Dec 2, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl (Post 31795499)
All of the TSA long lines with taking off and taking on add to the stress, also time. Remember the days when you could get to airport half hour prior to flight?

It's only exacerbated when traveling through non TSA airports like I did last week. At PRG security was at the gate and I got in the back of a line of 150 people. Fun.

At LHR "fast track" helps, but still have to take everything out of your toiletries bag and put it in bags. Everything comes off. Ugh--painful.