Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you get more exhausted traveling the older you get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you get more exhausted traveling the older you get?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Yes I do get exhausted

1. TSA security screening is exhausting if you have to take off shoes, belt, jacket, iPad, iPhone battery pack etc. if you are going through different climate zones, jackets etc are heavy.
2. if you are old but look young, you are in trouble. Airlines goes for the looks and the age!
3. small planes are more tiring. Often you have to walk to the gate from the plane and climb up the ladder to the plane. If the weather is cold, your bones ache.
4. I propose that old people are served first. While age and wisdom are expected to make you patient, I would love a cup of coffee and peanut, as soon as you board.old people also should be allowed to board first.
5. my biggest problem is lifting the carryon to the bin. Age, two back surgeries, and arthritis are problems in lifting the carryon luggage.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As I get older I become increasingly impatient with both incompetent officialdom and crowds. I still can cope with the bit on a plane but I find some airports to be close to intolerable, particularly American ones which have a strong combination of huge crowds, rude officials and horrible security procedures.

I don't get why some folks get all uppity about the security screening etc and scans. Just let them do their job and you can be on your way. I don't understand why some refuse to do it. After a body scan you are on your way in a minute otherwise it might be ages. No wonder folks get stressed when travelling.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't get why some folks get all uppity about the security screening etc and scans. Just let them do their job and you can be on your way. I don't understand why some refuse to do it. After a body scan you are on your way in a minute otherwise it might be ages. No wonder folks get stressed when travelling.
Although TSA Pre, I got mixed in with the main crowd at BOS where AS used to have it’s gates (hell alley) and was publicly groped all over by a thorough agent. Horrified, I begged her to stop. Years later, I can still see her in front of me, her hands between my legs, my body frozen yet on high alert. Does this bring TSA's &$#%@ a little more into focus for you?

Last edited by bon mot; Dec 6, 2019 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001
5. my biggest problem is lifting the carryon to the bin. Age, two back surgeries, and arthritis are problems in lifting the carryon luggage.
I recently purchased a B&R Sympatico carry-on but was initially hesitant to make the leap because it’s somewhat heavy -- Unless I'm sporting a cast or a sling, I do not want help hoisting it overhead as I age. My solution, apart from my regular workouts, is to load it up and practice lifting and maneuvering it over my head. “Need help with that ma’am?” Nope
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by bon mot; Dec 7, 2019 at 12:29 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Until I got fast track I often ended up behind some rights crusader who argued the finer points of pat downs, x-rays, liquid requirements, etc. Play freedom fighter on your own time the people behind you have planes to catch.

Second worst is the dunderhead who despite being told to remove all metal goes through the metal detector wearing a necklace, bracelets and earrings. Here's a hint. If you don't want a pat down or being required to go through the x-ray take all that crap off.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
At LHR "fast track" helps, but still have to take everything out of your toiletries bag and put it in bags. Everything comes off. Ugh--painful.
One thing I’ve noticed that has changed as I’ve aged is that I’ve become better at avoiding these frustrations. For example, my toiletries bag has a plastic bag inside it with the liquids in it. Unzip, pull the plastic bag out, done.

I’ve also stopped getting annoyed at security theatre and started to find it vaguely hilarious.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I obsessively try to get more time at airports so that long security queue, traffic, extra TSA inspection, etc still allow time to get water and snacks and food as needed. That’s a trick I’ve learned after years of travel as opposed to thinking of ways of more efficiency or clever tricks. Plus fewer connections when possible.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by gaobest
I obsessively try to get more time at airports so that long security queue, traffic, extra TSA inspection, etc still allow time to get water and snacks and food as needed. That’s a trick I’ve learned after years of travel as opposed to thinking of ways of more efficiency or clever tricks. Plus fewer connections when possible.
Giving yourself more time is a definite stress reducer. I don't mind waiting at the airport. I also don't run in airports. I will walk with purpose but not run. My days of showing up at the gate sweating and out of breath are long past. Either I make the connection or I don't. There will always be another plane coming.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
It isn't the traveling or the flight itself that tires me out, it's some of the timing and length of days. Waking up at 4 am isn't going energize me. Nor is getting home at that same time.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
When I was younger, I flew international economy for work, and was often unprepared for things going wrong (and in economy you get little help). Now I am older. I have a lot of experience traveling, and fly internationally only in business or first. I don't cut things close, and am not in a rush. I have access to lots of lounges. If there is a way to do something more efficiently, GE, clear, priority access, uber or car service when taxis are spotty, local metro when that is the fastest way, I do it. I stay where it is most convenient. If something goes wrong, I have a plan B, and maybe a plan C. So I am less exhausted traveling now. What was burdensome is now tolerable, sometimes nice.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by Artpen100
When I was younger, I flew international economy for work, and was often unprepared for things going wrong (and in economy you get little help). Now I am older. I have a lot of experience traveling, and fly internationally only in business or first. I don't cut things close, and am not in a rush. I have access to lots of lounges. If there is a way to do something more efficiently, GE, clear, priority access, uber or car service when taxis are spotty, local metro when that is the fastest way, I do it. I stay where it is most convenient. If something goes wrong, I have a plan B, and maybe a plan C. So I am less exhausted traveling now. What was burdensome is now tolerable, sometimes nice.
Yes exactly. Now I have more wisdom and money.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:27 am

For me, it’s even-steven. When I was younger, I traveled with everything under the sun. I mean, a full-size, checked bag for 3 days in Vegas.

I’m 56 now, and travel with a Tom Bihn Synic 22. Sometimes, a RedOxx AirBoss or MiniBoss. Much less stressful.

The most tiring thing for my GF and I are the late day/evening flights back home after a trip. The kicker was a summer flight from BOS-YYZ a few years back. I think we could have done two round trips with the time we spent waiting in the lounge. We decided then and there ... no more late day flights if we could help it. Would much rather be rested and catch the first flight out. Helps that we’re early birds.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes. I'm only 34 but I find it's a lot harder for me to get off a redeye and get right into it. I need a lot more sleep especially on short weekend international trips than I used to even five years ago. It's really cramping my style.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: *G
Nope, can tolerate it just as fine.

But I really lost interest in the minutiae between carriers and experiences.

This one serves PDB but the other doesn't? This one has a nicer amenity kit than the other? The flagship lounge on this carrier has a whiskey bar?

Don't care. I used to tolerate tortuous routes to sample that stuff but now I just need the easiest A to B
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.