Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When is it the best time to ask for a belt extender.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

I’m going to be flying United for the first time since I was in middle school, some 12 years ago. I’m wondering because I’ve gotten bigger I’ve already booked an extra seat and I’m certain I’ll need an extender. When is the best time to ask for an extender? When I’m boarding and the FAs are at the front of the plane, or when I’m in my seat should I wait and see if a FA is around or should I get to my seat and push the call button?

thanks
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Try the belt when you get to the seat. If too small ask a fa for an extender.
HardToConcentrate likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I agree. Ask early if you know you need it. If you haven't flown for a few years and don't know for certain, try the seat belt first, then ask.

Sometimes, you can ask but they won't give it to you until after they have done the safety demonstration. Some flights have a video demo so they'll give it to you right away.

[deleted]

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 2, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: overly personal
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:14 am

If I know for sure I'll need an extender, I ask the first FA I come across on my way to the seat that is not greeting at the door.
Try to board as early as you can as it saves a lot of faff at the seat if you get sorted before someone is already sitting next to you and it gives the FA's time to respond (they don't keep extenders handy).

There doesn't seem to be a standard across carriers for the length of the seat belt so try and see.
VS in particular seems to be a shorter length than UA/BA/QF/EK if it helps.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by The_Diamond_Z; Nov 29, 2019 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If you ask for a belt extender and if you are in an exit row seat please bear in mind, they could change you to another row.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by dav662
If you ask for a belt extender and if you are in an exit row seat please bear in mind, they could change you to another row.
Had this exact situation today on SWA going from BWI to JAX. Big guy came on in group C and took the middle seat in the exit row. Asked the FA for an extender and they told him if he needed that they would have to move him out of the exit row. They found another empty seat for him.
dav662 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT.

I would proactively ask for an extender when you board the plane and are greeted by a FA. They may be able to get you one immediately. Otherwise, give them your seat number as they will brig one to you. If you get to your seat and do not need it, when the FA passes through cabin again give it back.

Props on proactively booking an extra seat. Your seat mate will appreciate that.
ajGoes and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Agree with the above. Ask as soon as you can. If the FA forgets, then ask the first one who comes by to do seat checks before take-off.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Ask when they close the door and go down the aisles checking on seat upright and storage under seat. They know that they can't clear the departure with the cockpit unless they provide you with the means to buckle up. The aisles then are clear of boarding passengers so it only takes seconds to provide at that time.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
As a former POS do yourself a HUGE favor and buy one. They are like $11 on Amazon. Save all of the worry!!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Welcome to FT.

I would proactively ask for an extender when you board the plane and are greeted by a FA. They may be able to get you one immediately. Otherwise, give them your seat number as they will brig one to you. If you get to your seat and do not need it, when the FA passes through cabin again give it back.

Props on proactively booking an extra seat. Your seat mate will appreciate that.
Agree with this. Casually ask as you enter and greet the FA and then move on. They bring it to you after. Alternatively, you can buy your own.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. I’m a lot more comfortable. Firstly, male. Secondly I wasn’t necessarily seeking health advice as I am on a doctor regulated diet. This trip just suddenly came up whilst on this aggressive diet. Thirdly made sure I wasn’t in an exit seat.

all in all, thank you guys for the help!
Jaimito Cartero, 84fiero and Tanic like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
As a former POS do yourself a HUGE favor and buy one. They are like $11 on Amazon. Save all of the worry!!
Has a flight attendant ever given you grief for using your own? I can see this being a "ours is the only one that is FAA approved" kind of situation.

I mean, I know it's a simple gadget, but still...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Ask when they close the door and go down the aisles checking on seat upright and storage under seat. They know that they can't clear the departure with the cockpit unless they provide you with the means to buckle up. The aisles then are clear of boarding passengers so it only takes seconds to provide at that time.
I don’t think I agree with this. They don’t have a lot of them on a flight. If they’ve been passed out before the OP asks it’s a bit late after the door is closed. Better to ask early I think. If they gave to get another I suspect it’s a lot easier at the gate with an open door.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I don’t think I agree with this. They don’t have a lot of them on a flight. If they’ve been passed out before the OP asks it’s a bit late after the door is closed. Better to ask early I think. If they gave to get another I suspect it’s a lot easier at the gate with an open door.
75% of the time, they don’t hand them all out until after the safety briefing, when they use them for demoing. I have never seen them run out of extenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.