Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most scariest situation you have been in your travels?

What is the most scariest situation you have been in your travels?

Old Dec 2, 19, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC View Post
28 June, 2016 being in the Istanbul airport during the terrorist attack.
You mean you were there during the explosions? So glad you are ok...
Old Dec 2, 19, 6:05 pm

Somehow I, accompanied by a colleague at a conference at Vancouver, Canada, managed to finish our night with a trip to a bar in East Hastings. We walked in the door, the floors were particle board, as was the bar and all the fixtures.

Naturally I was concerned with who ran the bar. I was informed it was a Hells Angels bar. I got in a cab and left. My colleague decided to stay and party with the bikers.

She was wearing a kilt and blouse, I was in khakis and a blazer. This is relevant because I saw that out of the twenty people at the bar, most were in leathers, I'm quite sure if I stayed I would have been killed or severely beaten.

C.
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Originally Posted by CKA1 View Post
Somehow I, accompanied by a colleague at a conference at Vancouver, Canada, managed to finish our night with a trip to a bar in East Hastings. We walked in the door, the floors were particle board, as was the bar and all the fixtures.

Naturally I was concerned with who ran the bar. I was informed it was a Hells Angels bar. I got in a cab and left. My colleague decided to stay and party with the bikers.

She was wearing a kilt and blouse, I was in khakis and a blazer. This is relevant because I saw that out of the twenty people at the bar, most were in leathers, I'm quite sure if I stayed I would have been killed or severely beaten.

C.
Wow you need to get out more....in exactly what TV world do you live in?
Yes most Hell's Angels want to draw attention to themselves by beating for no reason random citizens (insert sarcasm emoji here).
Bikers run some of the strip clubs in Canada and they are defacto bouncers in some of these places....all of which leave citizens to enjoy themselves as long as they don't get out of hand.
I'm guessing you were more upset that your colleague effectively ditched you by choosing this place than any minute chance of you getting beaten.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:11 pm

My Scariest Moment

My scariest travel moment is when I got off the MTA too soon in Bed-Sty and had to walk about 10 blocks on a warm summer night through crowds of people just out partying on the streets. I think they thought I was either crazy or police.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:58 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
I was in Dammam in Saudi Arabia (for context, a city where a few years previously a group of Westerners were killed). My hotel was fortified with sandbags and had an Army truck with a mounted machine gun monitoring the front gates, and our company security team had briefed us about heightened vigilance. One night at dinner, an Arab gentleman walked in and asked to be seated at a table. He put his gym bag down next to the table, and then walked off to another part of the restaurant around the corner. My dinner colleague saw the utter panic on my face, I explained the potential for a bomb in the gym bag. I quickly scouted down the corridor to see if I could see the gentleman who left the gym bag, with great relief I saw that he had simply gone up to the buffet to get some food.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:08 pm

For me: walking in the Federal Plaza of Mexico City; seeing a young man walk deliberately up to a guard (at one of their many front facing doorways), pulling a bandana up to cover his face; watching (from 15/20 feet away) as he pulled a machine gun out from his jacket and cutting the guard in half; turning quickly away; lowering the bandana and the gun as he dissolved into the crowd. Beginning of the Chiapan Indian uprising.
MiscMel70 and altabello like this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by emsahb81 View Post
For me: walking in the Federal Plaza of Mexico City; seeing a young man walk deliberately up to a guard (at one of their many front facing doorways), pulling a bandana up to cover his face; watching (from 15/20 feet away) as he pulled a machine gun out from his jacket and cutting the guard in half; turning quickly away; lowering the bandana and the gun as he dissolved into the crowd. Beginning of the Chiapan Indian uprising.
You win. This is horrid.
Loren Pechtel and altabello like this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:12 pm

I was captured by ZIPRA (Joshua Nkomo's army opposing the Ian Smith government of Rhodesia) whilst hitch-hiking in Southern Zambia in Feb 1980. I was accused of spying for Rhodesia but released several hours later.
MiscMel70 and altabello like this.

Last edited by woll29d; Yesterday at 11:18 pm
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
Coming down with malaria in Ukraine. The medical professionals had no idea what to do. Fortunately I had enough medications to keep it under control until I could go elsewhere for treatment.
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG
Scary moment at DFW

I was staying at the Hyatt at DFW and had taken a mini van many years ago to a shopping center, but wanted to leave later than the return pick up so just took a cab (it was at least 20 years ago). The cab driver was totally lost and it was before GPS etc...he was talking to someone in dispatch and I saw us PASS the hotel...We wound up on a back road somewhere near Federal Express and it was very dark...and poorly lit...I truly was beginning to contemplate getting out when he conveys his appreciation for my patience because he had these people a few weeks ago, and THEY got out, and then he heard on the news that night about people being murdered and he wondered if it was them...I suggested that he just take me back to the airport (signs were frequent) and just drop me off at American because from there I knew I could find my way. When I got there I nearly kissed the ground. I was never so happy to see a baggage claim area in my life. The hotel sent the shuttle to pick me up and I could have hugged the driver. I told him what happened and he just shook his head.
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CKA1 View Post

C.
Bikers always love nerds in movies! You would of been safe.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: TG P / SPG (woftam) G / Priority Club P
Tough one. Possibly being bombed at Kuwait airport whilst en route to KL on BA149 and then being arrested and kept as a human shield hostage in Iraq for 131 days.

Although being raped at knifepoint in Istanbul as a gap year teen seemed traumatic at the time as well.

Possibly the scariest since was seeing the extras bill run up by my family when I checked out the Grande Bretagne in Athens last weekend.
Fraser, woll29d, MiscMel70 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
Before that, it was a cab ride in Bangkok with a driver who cared less about right of way or one way streets.
I'd have to say Indian taxi rides! Some scary moments on the road for sure...
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:32 pm

Probably pretty tame compared to some of the extremely dangerous situations others have encountered. But this one seemed right scary to me.

We were flying from London to Brussels out of Gatwick, rainy morning. Flying through thick cloud the whole time, like being stuck in a cotton ball.

As we approached Zaventem the cheerful pilot came on the speakers to tell us we were beginning descent.

Suddenly the plane shot UP at what seemed like a 45 degree angle. The cabin erupted with sounds of dread and fear. People's stuff under seats rolled out into the aisles.

But then thankfully the plane steadied and Captain Cheerful came on again: Sorry skies a bit crowded up here this morning! We'll be circling the airport for 15 minutes.

Zero visibility the while. Never so glad to get off a plane.
Old Yesterday, 2:19 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC View Post
28 June, 2016 being in the Istanbul airport during the terrorist attack.
I landed that evening from JFK, ZERO announcement from TK after the attack began that we were basically flying into a war zone. My scariest moment happened in a place you wouldn't expect. Was in Koh Phi Phi in the early 2010's with the 2004 Tsunami fresh in my mind. Had just arrived by ferry and was walking around getting my bearings when what sounded like air raid sirens started going off and I saw a wall of humanity screaming and running towards me and away from the water. I joined the crowd and found out there had been an earthquake somewhere and a tsunami warning had been issued for the island and that we had to get to high ground.

We first climbed some sort of construction, then decided that it wasn't high enough, got down and went up a big hill. There was essentially no information and everyone was scared, but rallied each other and bonded. In the end, the tsunami never materialized and around 9pm they sounded the all clear. I got fantastically drunk that night, woke up the next day covered in sand, presumably from falling over on a beach the previous evening and boarded a ferry straight back to Phuket and then got on a plane to Bangkok. I figured I wouldn't get a great night of sleep on an island for a little bit after that.

Search this Thread