Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you swap out your diamond rings when traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you swap out your diamond rings when traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:10 am

The very definition of a first world problem
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
There are plenty of single women out there who wear a wedding ring because it reduces unwanted male attention
I started traveling solo transcon when I was 14 and could pass for 21 if I tried. My father told me to move a ring I commonly wore to my left ring finger and if some man tried chatting me up to make sure my left hand was visible.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easy solution--we don't own bling in the first place.

I'm wearing a plain gold band, it's not been off my finger for any reason in the last 20 years. It comes off only with a fair bit of difficulty. Her finger joints are so smooth that there simply is no way for her to wear a ring safely and comfortably--she quit wearing her wedding ring in the first year, it's now only for fancy occasions. Hers is an exact match for mine other than in size. We own zero diamonds in any form.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:49 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
No. How stupid. Just get insurance if it worries you.

Moderator Note: This post was inadvertently left un-moderated as I responded in the thread with a story of my own. The personal comment should have been deleted. My error. I forgot to go back. There have been many followup replies which quoted or referenced it, thus I'm hesitant to go back and do a mass purge that would alter the continuity. Can we move on?
Larrude, cawhite, Desirees and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have a funny story about this. We were headed to a country where we were cautioned to wear no bling. My diamond is within my wedding ring, so taking it off meant my finger was bare. I had the ring I was given for my wedding when I weighed less. I could still put it on so I did and off I went. I realized my first day abroad that there was no way no how that ring was coming off again. Once we were home, I contacted a jeweler who told me to contact the fire department. It had the necessary equipment to cut a ring because there are times in a car accident that a person's ring gets caught on something within the car. We called and they offered to send a truck to the house. Um, no! I couldn't imagine a truck and multiple firefighters showing up at our home simply to get my ring off my finger! Fortunately, I was allowed to do the reverse and go to the fire station.
I had an 18k band ring cut off by a jeweler - took a few minutes. And as to traveling with jewelry, I now rarely take anything of value -- not only have I been robbed before but also I find I'm losing things more easily due to distractions and fatigue. I now wear one pair of earrings that I never have to think about and that's it. Quite liberating...
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not being robbed or that my wedding band is worth more than a few grand isn’t a concern, but I’m working in Maui now and I happen to visit the ocean twice a day.

Because of this I decided to pick up a Stainless steel/Koa wood band that cost less than 20 but could be mistaken for 2K. I refuse to do anything without my band, and my wife approves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.