Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Old Nov 17, 19, 10:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 2,018
Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Wife just had an interview and got a verbal offer for a position with a F500 company. The position will likely require about 4 trips to Asia a year for 1-2 weeks each. They didn't give her a number yet, but the position will probably pay in the lower-mid 100s.

Wife didn't think to ask during the interview (and it may have been awkward to ask), but the first question I had was whether this travel would be in J. 4x/year to Asia in Y would be a non-starter to me.

Obviously nobody on here can say for sure, but this forum has a lot of collective knowledge about corporate travel. So, I thought I'd ask. For an employee at that pay level at a F500 company, is there any reasonable chance they'd make her fly Y and not pay for J?
LAX_Esq is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:10 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 28,915
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
Wife just had an interview and got a verbal offer for a position with a F500 company. The position will likely require about 4 trips to Asia a year for 1-2 weeks each. They didn't give her a number yet, but the position will probably pay in the lower-mid 100s.

Wife didn't think to ask during the interview (and it may have been awkward to ask), but the first question I had was whether this travel would be in J. 4x/year to Asia in Y would be a non-starter to me.

Obviously nobody on here can say for sure, but this forum has a lot of collective knowledge about corporate travel. So, I thought I'd ask. For an employee at that pay level at a F500 company, is there any reasonable chance they'd make her fly Y and not pay for J?
It all depends on the company.

I donít think there should be a problem asking about their travel policies. Some folk are fine flying Y. Some people are not. Unless you are accompanying her on all the flights, why not let her decide? Iíve flown a million+ miles in coach. Much of it longhaul to Asia. Still alive.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:20 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,755
Generally, I'd say F500s will offer J, but may be limited to a specific carrier.
Visconti is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,809
It's worth asking someone once the offer comes in, preferably someone in a similar position who knows the actual policy as opposed to what HR might read somewhere. I'm not in an F500, but our policy will book you J for over something like 10 hours flight time (not block time), which I think covers just about all TPACs from LAX, but a company with a slightly different threshold or an all Y-cabin policy could leave her in Y unless she has the status and instruments for upgrades.
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:08 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 2,018
Thanks all.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Some folk are fine flying Y. Some people are not. Unless you are accompanying her on all the flights, why not let her decide? I’ve flown a million+ miles in coach. Much of it longhaul to Asia. Still alive.
We've flown Y to Asia, Mid East, etc. for vacations. We're still alive, too But flying for business, where you're expected to be alert and highly functional the day you arrive, that's a different story...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
LAX_Esq is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:21 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,103
If not J, will they let her go a day early? Or purchase premium economy if available? Four coach trips annually to Asia from LAX won't result alone in high status or TPAC upgrade instruments.

Depending on the destinations in Asia, I'd ask some additional questions about the travel policy (after getting an offer). Do they allow car service or provide a car and driver? What type of hotels? Guidelines for restaurant meals?
BearX220 likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:48 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 2,018
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If not J, will they let her go a day early? Or purchase premium economy if available? Four coach trips annually to Asia from LAX won't result alone in high status or TPAC upgrade instruments.

Depending on the destinations in Asia, I'd ask some additional questions about the travel policy (after getting an offer). Do they allow car service or provide a car and driver? What type of hotels? Guidelines for restaurant meals?
Good Q's to find out about and look for.

Going a day early wouldn't be appealing to me; it would just make make a long trip longer, and you'd probably get stuck working that day anyway (responding to emails, getting on calls, etc.).

I'd imagine that any F500 would pay for Western business chain hotels (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc.). I'd also imagine that the meal guidelines are sufficient to allow for hotel meals in Asia. Isn't that all pretty standard in any big F500 / corporate job?

Why does the car service vs. car and driver vs. taxis/Uber matter? I can't imagine they're going to force her to take a moto or auto-rickshaw
LAX_Esq is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:53 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, United Platinum
Posts: 3,602
Should be spelled out in the company travel policy. Our company, for example, has strict Y cabin with the exception of flights to/from Asia, where PE can be expensed. No J/F.
Repooc17 is online now  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:54 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 2,018
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Should be spelled out in the company travel policy. Our company, for example, has strict Y cabin with the exception of flights to/from Asia, where PE can be expensed. No J/F.
F500? Even for senior management types?
LAX_Esq is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, United Platinum
Posts: 3,602
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
F500? Even for senior management types?
Correct.
Repooc17 is online now  
Old Nov 17, 19, 1:05 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,023
Youíll have to ask the company. Many companies are Y only and many others offer J for all flights over 4 hours. Not asking before taking the job is being willing to accept Y only as a possibility.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
travelinmanS is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 1:56 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PDX
Programs: AS DL
Posts: 4,066
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Should be spelled out in the company travel policy. Our company, for example, has strict Y cabin with the exception of flights to/from Asia, where PE can be expensed. No J/F.
Not that many years ago, there was first, business, and coach. Now that has been renamed business, PE, economy though business is more plush than first used to be, at least the seating.

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
Thanks all.

We've flown Y to Asia, Mid East, etc. for vacations. We're still alive, too But flying for business, where you're expected to be alert and highly functional the day you arrive, that's a different story...

That's more age related. An employee in their 20's can fly economy and still be very productive despite a red eye.

I found that economy on a daytime JFK-LHR flight (or EWR, ORD, BOS, IAD, YYZ to LHR) results in higher productivity than a red eye in J. US to the Asia Pacific region are all such long distances that daytime vs. red eyes don't apply.

Companies can be strange. Some spend more than others. Some treat it like they are spending someone else's money. If one is measuring only dollars and cents, then will J result in measurable increases in productivity that exceed the cost of the J ticket? Some employees may try to retaliate and spend money in other ways. If so, are they bad employees? Or bad but tolerated because good help is hard to find?
Toshbaf is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 1:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 1,182
My previous F100 company wouldn't pay for J at all unless you were a certain management level, even on International itineraries. My current job is the opposite where anything outside of NA is allowed for J no matter the level. So you can't just assume based on the company "prestige" that it is standard across the baord.
safari ari is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 2:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AA
Posts: 520
Seems OP is more concerned than the person doing the actual travel.
Statman, krazykanuck, NPF and 2 others like this.
theshaun is offline  
Old Nov 17, 19, 2:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Should be spelled out in the company travel policy. Our company, for example, has strict Y cabin with the exception of flights to/from Asia, where PE can be expensed. No J/F.
Yeah, my employer is F100 in a good year. Policy is Y regardless of distance, though you're allowed to upgrade on your own dime.
hhdl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: